• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

eTuning Shimano - error in Shimano E-Tube: Unauthorized modification detected.

l3moncho

Nov 28, 2021
Sofia, Bulgaria
Back in 2021
I wanted to have assist up to 32km/h, which turn out is not working good for me, so I did reverted back to 25km/h
I did that using eTuning | Ebike Tuning App for Shimano Steps Motors
Now a days I got the original SM-PCE02(reasoning why got is bellow) and when I connect I got error messages "Unauthorized modification detected."
My question really is: is there a way to revert all to stock and remove that "Unauthorized modification detected." ?

I had to go to with SM-PCE02 because I had to troubleshoot errors related to speed sensor & magnet - that's something for another thread, because I ended up stacking more magnet on top of the original Magura MDR-P CL rotor

unauthorized2.PNG
unauthorized.PNG

PS just tried to contacting the app company at Contact - Etuning
to see if they going to reply

Last edited:

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria
Most probably your bike is still programmed to US mode (because you can increase max. speed to 32km/h like seen with the blue button).
You have to program it back to EU mode with E-Tuning app (and not just reduce the max. speed to 25km/h).

l3moncho

Nov 28, 2021
Sofia, Bulgaria
Thanks Mate.
Wonder do I need to downgrade again to exploitable version with E-tuning app :/
I’ve written email with the guys and they claim this is not due their app, but rather Santa Cruz custom setting of Mx wheel, which I found to be quite misleading

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria
Thanks Mate.
Wonder do I need to downgrade again to exploitable version with E-tuning app :/
I’ve written email with the guys and they claim this is not due their app, but rather Santa Cruz custom setting of Mx wheel, which I found to be quite misleading
The red warning is definitely to the incorrect region / destionation setting, otherwise the text in the red warning would have be different:
1700123462561.png

If you read an analyse this red warning text thoroughly, then you will instantly see the reason for this warning: So, in this case it is "Destination". And yes, you most probably have to downgrade again, so you can reset the region / destination to the original setting. Don´t trust other "self claimed professionals" or rumours...

Last edited:

l3moncho

Nov 28, 2021
Sofia, Bulgaria
Thanks mate!
Do you happen to know a way to change the region at the current version?

the downgrade was pain in the ass

The reply I got was from the official support email of those guys(E-Tunning app), which is odd

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
Thanks mate!
Do you happen to know a way to change the region at the current version?

the downgrade was pain in the ass

The reply I got was from the official support email of those guys(E-Tunning app), which is odd
You have a PCE02 cable so you could purchase STUnlocker otherwise you’ll need to downgrade. On my motor the original setting for destination was ‘Not Defined’. Not sure whether there is any way to reset without the Windows version of STUnlocker or the much more expensive e-max tuning.

Big07

Aug 23, 2020
Australia
I just bought a used Merida eSpresso 300 SE. It has a E5000 motor and a SC-5000A display. I also have a SC-E7000 display on my other ebike (merida e160, ep8) that I have derestricted with stunlocker.

If I want to derestrict the eSpresso 300 and I just temporarily connect the sc-e7000 display/controller and then connect via bluetooth and unlock?

Or is there something I haven't thought about.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles