• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Shimano EP8 derestrict what's the best way ?

chris edwards

Nov 24, 2018
Lowestoft
How good is this app please does it work 100% of the time ? I looked on Speedbox but there’s nothing for the EP8 yet .
I will Download the app and have a go

chris edwards

Nov 24, 2018
Lowestoft
UPDATE:

I have just had a reply from Speedbox .

They are still developing a model for the EP8 but hope it will be available within one or two months .

I'll have a look at the apps though but prefer to use hardware .

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Stunlocker l believe has now updated their software so it works directly with the EP8 motor, without having to downgrade the FW.

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
I've an EP8 running 4.1.2 so the iPhone or Android app doesn't support me yet.

So I bought the SM-PCE02 PC Linkage device that allows me to run ST on my windows PC and from there I can control settings like destination market (Europe/USE/JP/etc).

The Windows ST tool works on any motor and any firmware (at the moment).

So I didn't have to downgrade the FW and was dead easy to use.

kenaiok

Feb 3, 2022
Tulsa, OK
Check out STunlocker.........
I’m not having any luck finding the info on their site….do you know if STunlocker can adjust the torque settings as well? I’ve got an Orbea Rise w/ the EP8 RS….I’m wondering if the STunlocker can essentially turn it into the full power EP8 motor

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
I’m not having any luck finding the info on their site….do you know if STunlocker can adjust the torque settings as well? I’ve got an Orbea Rise w/ the EP8 RS….I’m wondering if the STunlocker can essentially turn it into the full power EP8 motor
A number of users have discovered that if you use the Shimano Etube app to upgrade using bluetooth then you get the full power ep8 software. The app is apparently unable to distinguish between and EP8 RS and an Ep8 motor. This assumes you are not or do not wish to derestrict as updating to the latest firmware would not be for you.

kenaiok

Feb 3, 2022
Tulsa, OK
Good info, thank you….I would like to derestrict as well….love to get passed the 20mph restriction. In an ideal world I’d have a full power EP8 motor derestricted. If STunlocker can do that, I’ll get it :)

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
You're lucky to get 20mph

Here in the U.K. we are restricted to 15.5mph
As a regular MTB rider it's
just not fast enough on the road or trails.

Although l am sure walkers and horse riders would disagree.

kenaiok

Feb 3, 2022
Tulsa, OK
STunlocker won’t connect to my bike (Orbea Rise)….could that be because the EP8 RS firmware has been updated to the most current version?

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Won't connect at all? On the E8000 with the latest firmware it will connect but won't adjust the settings for wheel circumference or country.
You need to install an earlier firmware.

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
It should still connect but not allow you to make changes with the latest firmware. Is Bluetooth on your phone turned on and working. Also suggest you try operating the switch that selects power mode on the bike while trying to connect.

kenaiok

Feb 3, 2022
Tulsa, OK
It should still connect but not allow you to make changes with the latest firmware. Is Bluetooth on your phone turned on and working. Also suggest you try operating the switch that selects power mode on the bike while trying to connect.
Yeah Bluetooth on….thanks for the pointer on operating power mode switch…I’ll try that!

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
As above, open the app (with the bike turned off) and tap "connect" then turn on the bike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles