• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

How to derestrict your Shimano E8000/EP8 for £20 without voiding the warranty

Jul 2, 2021
UK
Ok, so I can't take credit for this because I got the idea off a guy on Youtube which you've probably already seen. For those that don't know, the idea is you take the speed sensor off the back of the bike next to the rear wheel, then attach a magnet to the pedal arm instead, and then tape the speed sensor onto the frame near the pedals so it picks up the pedals moving instead of the back wheel.

The problem for me was the speed sensor was one of the brake disc ones and was mounted inside the frame and not movable.

So instead I bought a spare Shimano SM-DUE10 speed sensor, if you then just unscrew the plastic motor cover you can disconnect the old rear sensor, and plug in the new one (very easy if you're worried). Stick the magnet on the pedal arm with some 3M double sided tape, and stick the new sensor on the frame just above the motor, and voila sensor picks up the pedal speed instead and never goes above about 12kmph, so no top speed limit.

If you want to remove it, just plug the old speed sensor back in and you're back to the stock speed limit

Process took literally 5 mins and works perfectly

*** UPDATE ***
Thanks to @MadTurnip for pointing out shimano have now built in detection for this that can result in possible bricking of the motor

Last edited:

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
If your unit helps beyond the local speed limit...you have voided the warranty.
No matter how you do it.

I don't say: DONT DO IT !
The unit will be damaged, the bikes going to crash, the moon will turn blue....because it wont.

But you have voided the warranty.

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
Few things:
1) this stops working after some time as the bike has a speed to power ratio calculator and eventually you will trip this and get an error code until you revert the change (and spin the pedals/motor with no resistance until the ratio comes back down).
2) The motor can determine something is up via the power to speed ratio over a couple rides.
3) If you want to remove the speed restriction search STUnlocker on the forum.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Ok, so I can't take credit for this because I got the idea off a guy on Youtube which you've probably already seen. For those that don't know, the idea is you take the speed sensor off the back of the bike next to the rear wheel, then attach a magnet to the pedal arm instead, and then tape the speed sensor onto the frame near the pedals so it picks up the pedals moving instead of the back wheel.

The problem for me was the speed sensor was one of the brake disc ones and was mounted inside the frame and not movable.

So instead I bought a spare Shimano SM-DUE10 speed sensor, if you then just unscrew the plastic motor cover you can disconnect the old rear sensor, and plug in the new one (very easy if you're worried). Stick the magnet on the pedal arm with some 3M double sided tape, and stick the new sensor on the frame just above the motor, and voila sensor picks up the pedal speed instead and never goes above about 12kmph, so no top speed limit.

If you want to remove it, just plug the old speed sensor back in and you're back to the stock speed limit

Process took literally 5 mins and works perfectly

While that may derestrict the bike, I have to think that it will screw up the algorithms that provide optimal assist in trail mode.

Jul 2, 2021
UK
Few things:
1) this stops working after some time as the bike has a speed to power ratio calculator and eventually you will trip this and get an error code until you revert the change (and spin the pedals/motor with no resistance until the ratio comes back down).
2) The motor can determine something is up via the power to speed ratio over a couple rides.
3) If you want to remove the speed restriction search STUnlocker on the forum.

Thanks man, did some more reading and you're right, E014 error, and potentially not so easy to clear on latest firmware versions. Looks like i'll have to try some other options

Looked at STU originally, but it doesn't work on my 4.9 firmware, so would have to downgrade, plus didn't like the idea of it affecting the warranty

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Thanks man, did some more reading and you're right, E014 error, and potentially not so easy to clear on latest firmware versions. Looks like i'll have to try some other options

Looked at STU originally, but it doesn't work on my 4.9 firmware, so would have to downgrade, plus didn't like the idea of it affecting the warranty

Why bother with all that hassle man ?
Just go out and ride ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles