Error 513. New motor time?

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
Hi all,
Got a 513 error on my 2020 Rail this morning. From what I’ve read it looks like new motor time, internal cadence sensor fault.
Annoyingly my bike is 5 days out of warranty. Has anyone has to pay to replace their Gen4 motor? If so what was the cost?

Gigha

Sep 30, 2020
East Lothian
If you are in the UK, there is a new one on ebay ~ £600 [check wheel size is correct match for your bike]

Have you tried talking to who you bought it from, they may be able to get Bosch to honour the warranty seeing that it failed so soon after the expiry date.

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
I’m taking it to the shop I bought it from to see what they can do.
Just to update, I’ve given it a clean, checked all electrical connections and turned it back on and now it’s fine. No error and working fine again 🤷🏼‍♂️

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
If your in the UK and the problem persists send it to Peter at Performance Line Bearings.

I had Peter replace the internal torque sensor on my gen 4, you won't be disappointed with his service and prices.

Cheers

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
My bike is now with the shop I bought it from for a replacement motor. The error is intermittent and will reset for an unknown amount of time, it could be fine for 30 miles, it could reappear instantly.
You can see what the cadence sensor is doing in the video below, sometimes it is was worse than in the video, bouncing from 0 to 300+ and anything in between when keeping the cadence at a constant.

zurtvortex

Aug 29, 2019
Wales
A couple of years ago my Trek with a Bosch Performance drive unit failed 6 weeks after the warranty expired. But all credit to Bosch who replaced the unit free of charge and renewed the 2 year warranty as well.

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
Hi all,
Got a 513 error on my 2020 Rail this morning. From what I’ve read it looks like new motor time, internal cadence sensor fault.
Annoyingly my bike is 5 days out of warranty. Has anyone has to pay to replace their Gen4 motor? If so what was the cost?
Hi. my 2020 rail is out of warranty in july this year, when i purchased mine from ( The Edge Cycleworks Lancaster) i asked the question about warranty, and they quoted to me that Bosch are pretty good with honouring a bit of leeway on the 2 year, (a few weeks) especially if its been in the shop for warranty for a period of time during ownership, good luck ,,, Dont ask, dont get !!!

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
Yeah they did! I’ve just had a new motor fitted FOC, less than 2 week turnaround. Can’t argue with that.
That’s brilliant and abit of reassurance! Have they given any warranty cover on the new motor going forward? I think I’m on motor No5 ! Last one only lasted 6 weeks, some electrical failure due to moisture, all my motors have been due to water in electrical connections, ( I ride in all weathers, on the Lancs/Yorks moors , which is what it designed for , apparently )🤨 none have been bearing failures!!
Just be clear:-
I don’t powerwash, or wash it after every single ride .

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
That’s brilliant and abit of reassurance! Have they given any warranty cover on the new motor going forward? I think I’m on motor No5 ! Last one only lasted 6 weeks, some electrical failure due to moisture, all my motors have been due to water in electrical connections, ( I ride in all weathers, on the Lancs/Yorks moors , which is what it designed for , apparently )🤨 none have been bearing failures!!
You sound really unlucky to have that many failures. I ride mine all year round also, in the North East, always wet and muddy and it gets washed with a hose after every ride. I would assume my failure was due to water ingress as it was intermittent in the end, but that’s just a guess.

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
You sound really unlucky to have that many failures. I ride mine all year round also, in the North East, always wet and muddy and it gets washed with a hose after every ride. I would assume my failure was due to water ingress as it was intermittent in the end, but that’s just a guess.
On your latest motor, what is the warranty situation on that one ?? 👍

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

What errors were you seeing with your various motor replacements?

I had to have a new motor (gen 4 on an orbea wild fs) at around 4 months old/500 miles, it was showing a 550 error. Bosch didnt say what caused the error, but my assumption was water damage.

I havent had any issues since that first motor was replaced, and I ride in all conditions in the uk, so its gets proper muddy/wet, no jet washing here either.

when my motor was replaced the shop said that the two year warranty on the motor restarts.

Last edited:

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
What errors were you seeing with your various motor replacements?

I had to have a new motor (gen 4 on an orbea wild fs) at around 4 months old/500 miles, it was showing a 550 error. Bosch didnt say what caused the error, but my assumption was water damage.

I havent had any issues since that first motor was replaced, and I ride in all conditions in the uk, so its gets proper muddy/wet, no jet washing here either.
The error codes that have cropped up are 500( internal error drive unit) 503( speed sensor) 530( battery pack error)
when 530 cropped up that was caused with the battery catch failing and the battery decided to throw itself on the ground at about 25 mph!!
bike shop run diagnostics check and fitted a new motor because of an internal motor issue !! Most problems have been down to sensor issues, ( moisture) i asked the bike shop if they recommend any electrical contact grease to help seal them, and they said that Bosch havent suggested anything!! but after looking at my other halfs Cube Kathmandu hybrid ( bosch gen 4) that doesnt have any slots/vents on the motor protector, ( i think the slots are just for fancy , and serve no purpose, only letting water into the contacts) so now ive covered the slots on the Rail with some Gorilla tape to stop water being fired into the area where the wiring plugs are, time will tell !!!!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The error codes that have cropped up are 500( internal error drive unit) 503( speed sensor) 530( battery pack error)
when 530 cropped up that was caused with the battery catch failing and the battery decided to throw itself on the ground at about 25 mph!!
bike shop run diagnostics check and fitted a new motor because of an internal motor issue !! Most problems have been down to sensor issues, ( moisture) i asked the bike shop if they recommend any electrical contact grease to help seal them, and they said that Bosch havent suggested anything!! but after looking at my other halfs Cube Kathmandu hybrid ( bosch gen 4) that doesnt have any slots/vents on the motor protector, ( i think the slots are just for fancy , and serve no purpose, only letting water into the contacts) so now ive covered the slots on the Rail with some Gorilla tape to stop water being fired into the area where the wiring plugs are, time will tell !!!!

I did similar , but I ended up stuffing moto foam around the motor to stop it being directly sprayed with water where the wires plug in and through the gaps in the plastic motor protector. I also used dielectric grease on the plugs where they plug into the motor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles