Bosch Smart System - brand new bike ERROR

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
Super annoyed. Waited 6 months on an order to get a Focus Thron 6.9 with Bosch Smart system. Got the bike yesterday and 1st attempt to ride I get a Bosch ERROR code. 501009 and now 70% of the time wont even power up, lights do their thing, display flickers "kiox" for a split second and powers down. taking the display out of its holder and back in sometimes fixes and it starts up. Still always get error 501009.

IMG_0309.JPG

Tom77

Aug 20, 2022
Greece
I did, day 4 and they still haven't been able to run a diagnostic. Said its the "new" system, couldn't run diagnostic on our hardware, we need to talk to Bosch.
The diagnostic is online directly to Bosch,when they connect to the bike simply download the errors and the status of each part and send it.
The smart system is from the beginning of the year realised and also the service updates is online.Is he an authorized dealer for sure?

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
The diagnostic is online directly to Bosch,when they connect to the bike simply download the errors and the status of each part and send it.
The smart system is from the beginning of the year realised and also the service updates is online.Is he an authorized dealer for sure?
yes they're an authorised dealer. Most current message is diagnostics run and still errors, consulting with Bosch. Not what you expect when you pay AUD $9,000 for a Bike.

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
501009 is a Motor Unit current issue. I'd be pretty disappointed too if the dealer I paid $9k can't sort it out
Thanks for the info.

3 weeks later and so far Bosch have said its a faulty battery and dealer yet to receive the new battery. Pretty disappointing Quality control from Bosch and pretty disappointing service that a faulty battery on a brand new product takes 3 weeks and still waiting.

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
Sigh. Bosch sent new battery. Didn't fix the problem. Bike now throwing further errors and they now say it's the motor faulty.

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
The saga continues. 1 month later new bike still with the dealer. After changing the battery Bosch said it's now a faulty motor, new motor arrived at dealer, Dealer fitted new motor and now different errors.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Tour plus colour code on the LED Remote is blue...............yours is orange which means there is a fault. Of course you have the Kiox 300 so you already know that but useful to note if for example you were running with the Kiox removed.
I am always sceptical about diagnostic error reports. In this example the error report suggested the controller (LED Remote) was not getting the right signal from the motor....................that completely ignores the fact that it could well be the controller not being able to acknowledge the motor signal. The system continuing to throw errors despite changing both the battery and the motor further suggests that the fault lies in the controller (LED Remote).
( as an example of how diagnostics can be wrong it is often the case in cars for a fault to be due to a faulty sensor rather than the component it monitors!!)

dellydel

Nov 3, 2022
UK
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I came across this thread searching for possible causes of errors on my new Gen 4 Smart System Whyte e160. I have two error codes '142001 Control Unit Error' and '503018 Drive Unit Power'.

I just wondered if you got your issues resolved and if so, what was the cause and how was it fixed?

Thanks.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I came across this thread searching for possible causes of errors on my new Gen 4 Smart System Whyte e160. I have two error codes '142001 Control Unit Error' and '503018 Drive Unit Power'.

I just wondered if you got your issues resolved and if so, what was the cause and how was it fixed?

Thanks.
Both of those are serious errors. If a restart does not fix them take the bike back to the dealer. Sounds like at least faulty battery plus drive unit potentially

dellydel

Nov 3, 2022
UK
Both of those are serious errors. If a restart does not fix them take the bike back to the dealer. Sounds like at least faulty battery plus drive unit potentially
Hi, its been with the bike shop since Monday. Tested on a different battery and still the same. Whyte have sent some software updates to the LBS to put on, first one seemed to work but then error back again. Now on another update today so see what tomorrow brings....

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Tell them to change the LED Remote...........even taking one off another bike........its 2 minutes to change and as recorded above ,changing battery and/or motor in that case, did not fix the issue, so those components were not faulty. The LED remote is the only other component other than cabling and sensors. The diagnostic report should not be taken literally. It merely reports the result of a fault not necessarilly the cause. Those fault reports are compiled by the LED Remote so they are just as likely to be caused by a fault in the LED Remote as the component it failed to recieve a positive check from.
Software updates= clutching at straws!!

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast

Thanks.
Yup got the issue resolved ... they gave me a new bike 🤣

dellydel

Nov 3, 2022
UK
Just updating this thread as well as my own thread in the Whyte group.

The second software update which was loaded onto the bike seems to have done the trick. I went on a 30 mile ride with 5k of climbing around the peaks yesterday and the bike was fine,no issues. So fingers crossed the issue is resolved.

jcmut88

Nov 27, 2022
France
Hello Dellydel,
Same issue like you today : 142001 error.
Can you explain me what exactly resolved your issue? Which version of software did you update on your last attempt?

Thanks you in avance.

dellydel

Nov 3, 2022
UK
Hello Dellydel,
Same issue like you today : 142001 error.
Can you explain me what exactly resolved your issue? Which version of software did you update on your last attempt?

Thanks you in avance.
My bike went back into the bike shop, they spoke with Bosch who made a few suggestions but they got more assistance from Whyte. Whyte sent over some software to load onto the bike, the shop tested the bike and still had an error, switching itself off etc. They then went back to Whyte and were sent another update which seems to have fixed it. However, I have only been on one ride since (30 mile / 5000ft ride in the Peaks) so still not 100% convinced it is now sorted. We'll see on the next few outings......

jcmut88

Nov 27, 2022
France
Hello,

Thank you for your precisions.

In my case, I recorded a short video concerning the issue.

The error appears only on my smartphone because the screen of my Kiox 300 remained stopped

The preceding error was Error 50100d : Default Drive Unit.
The motor was changed recently. Last weekend was my first ride since the motor has been changed.

Only 10 miles and the system shut down suddenly.

No luke....

I will go to my dealer to change the remote. I hope the problem comes from it...

Last edited:

NiceMad

Jun 9, 2023
Germany
Hello,

Thank you for your precisions.

In my case, I recorded a short video concerning the issue.

The error appears only on my smartphone because the screen of my Kiox 300 remained stopped

The preceding error was Error 50100d : Default Drive Unit.
The motor was changed recently. Last weekend was my first ride since the motor has been changed.

Only 10 miles and the system shut down suddenly.

No luke....

I will go to my dealer to change the remote. I hope the problem comes from it...
Hey
My bike got the 50100d error as well.
Did you had any luck or a solution? What caused the error?

NiceMad

Jun 9, 2023
Germany
Hello,

Motor has been changed a second time!!

From this time, I've only ride 100 or 200 kilometers. This error has not appeared since.

Good luck!
Thank you!
I gave it to my dealer hope it gets fixed fast…
Do you have any idea what caused it?
First it just showed up sometimes but then it came more frequently until it didn’t go away anymore…

NiceMad

Jun 9, 2023
Germany
Thank you!
I gave it to my dealer hope it gets fixed fast…
Do you have any idea what caused it?
First it just showed up sometimes but then it came more frequently until it didn’t go away anymore…
I just got a call from my dealer
The error gets caused by some errors in the charging plug element, it’s very likely that it’s caused by some water that went into there.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It is very easy on a thread like this for multiple different issues to be conflated. It would be easier for any others with problems reading such posts if the actual circumstances of the fault was descried rather than merely reporting a fault code. I mentioned on a previous post that fault codes tend not to be particularly useful specifically if the actual fault actually lies with the system controller since any diagnostic process has to work via the USB port on that controller.

Problems with the system shutting down can probably be usefully split into 2 categories.
Category 1 would be where that problem occurs on a brand new bike
Category 2 would be where the bike was reliable for weeks/months and then problems with the system shutting down occured.
Category 1
The culprit for Category 1 is almost certainly the LED Remote battery....or possibly the LED Remote itself. Bosch recognised early on that the rechargeable battery in the LED Remote was arriving on bikes discharged or at a very low level of charge. That may well have been by design given the practise of storing and shipping the main bike lithium battery at a low charge level and in "sleep" mode. It does not appear however that LBS/dealers were instructed to charge the LED REmote battery via its USB port. That battery is charged by the main bike battery when the bike is in use so should be OK if charged initially , assuming its low level of charge is the problem. It could be however, that the battery has been allowed to completely discharge and is faulty such that it will not reliably recharge in use ( possibly due to a faulty thermistor which is integrated in the battery and there to prevent over charging). Changing the LED Remote ( and charging it) should fix the problem. The battery in it is only c £8 and relatively easy to change so I do not understand why LBS dont do that as a first step!! One aspect of LBS checking can cause some confusion. If the LBS plugs into the LED Remote to run Bosch diagnostics they are at the same time sending a charge into the battery. A full LED Remote battery....but one that is not be recharged by the main battery........will typically continue to operate for about 12 miles before shutting down. Hence it can appear the fault has been fixed......when it has not!

Category 2
Clearly if the bike has performed reliably for several rides, a few weeks or months but then a shutting down fault occurs, it is less likely that the scenario in category 1 applies..........albeit not impossible. One common issue has become apparent which is an incomplete connection of the cable into the LED Remote or Kiox 300 if fitted. The connection needs to be pushed quite hard until a click is heard but an incomplete connection can work for quite a while until it "rattles" loose.
Obviously the usual electrical problems can occur due to water ingress either into the charge port or the main cable connector..................usually due to washing the bike rather than riding in wet conditions.

johno1

Aug 20, 2023
Australia
I HAVE REPLACED THE LED CONTROLLER AND STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WITH DISPLAY TURNING OFF AND MULTIPLE ERROR CODES. HAVE HAD BIKE AT THE SHOP ON 4 OCCASIONS TO DO A FORCED RESET TO GET BIKE OUT OF LIMP MODE. NEVER HAD THESE PROBLEMS ON THE NON SMART SYSTEM BOSCH MOTOR.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I HAVE REPLACED THE LED CONTROLLER AND STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WITH DISPLAY TURNING OFF AND MULTIPLE ERROR CODES. HAVE HAD BIKE AT THE SHOP ON 4 OCCASIONS TO DO A FORCED RESET TO GET BIKE OUT OF LIMP MODE. NEVER HAD THESE PROBLEMS ON THE NON SMART SYSTEM BOSCH MOTOR.
In which case your issue is not with the LED Remote assuming the battery in it was charged when it was fitted. So has your problem occured some time into ownership or straight away?
Not sure how your bike going into limp mode is related to your system switching off. A faulty LED Remote/LED Remote battery will cause the system to shut down when that battery becomes discharged..........it does not result in limp mode. The bike will go into limp mode if it detects a non authorised component on its CAN network or an anomoly that suggests the presence of a deristriction device. I believe the Bosch Smart System firmware now does its own calculation over a period of time comparing the overall time the motor has delivered pedal assistance and the distance covered during those periods. It can therefore detect derestriction. If your bike has not been modified and you have already replaced the controller, the only other culprit would be a faulty component on the motor PCB..........which means changing the motor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles