Bosch error code 513 and Hi i'm new here

Defjam3

Jul 19, 2020
Bristol
Hello to any one that can hear me. :) I have done research and know that the error relates to the cadence sensor inside the motor. I have spoken to Bosch who kindly advised me to take my bike to an approved bosch repairer to diagnose and clear the error... Now the issue I have they have sugested it will cost £30 labour just for diagnostics and then further labour costs should i need a new motor fitting. The bike has done 200 miles and was bought new in June via Bikester an online store based in Germany. I feel a bit miffed that if its warranty work would the cost be normally covered for labour from someone appointed by the manufacturer?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
That doesn't sound like a satisfactory outcome, you'd expect the warranty to be honoured by any bosch dealer anywhere.

What country are you in?

Edit :can see from your profile that you're in Bristol.

I can only suggest trying a different dealer, or trying somewhere that is also a dealer for whatever bike the motor is attached to.

Defjam3

Jul 19, 2020
Bristol
Uk, I've just emailed bosch. I think it smells a bit fishy maybe they want to bill me and bosch !!!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Uk, I've just emailed bosch. I think it smells a bit fishy maybe they want to bill me and bosch !!!
Yeah in my opinion bosch should be covering any costs the bosch dealer incurs in fixing the problem with bosch motor system.

I think the bike shops are being a bit dodgy in trying to make you pay the labour for what is clearly a fault with a clearly in warranty part.

Let us know how you go on. I keep hearing about this sort of thing from bike shops, i think they think that it will encourage you to buy from them in future, but if anything it would make me avoid that particular shop.

Defjam3

Jul 19, 2020
Bristol
Yeah in my opinion bosch should be covering any costs the bosch dealer incurs in fixing the problem with bosch motor system.

I think the bike shops are being a bit dodgy in trying to make you pay the labour for what is clearly a fault with a clearly in warranty part.

Let us know how you go on. I keep hearing about this sort of thing from bike shops, i think they think that it will encourage you to buy from them in future, but if anything it would make me avoid that particular shop.

Will do its their loss of business someone will want it i'm sure :)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The warranty is surely on the bike rather than the motor ( obviously including the motor). So you need to go an authorised dealer for whatever bike you have. The issue with shops charging labour is whether or not they are an authorised dealer for that brand and therefore have the ability to charge the brand for warranty work rather than you. Some shops ( usually those selling mix of brands, order bikes from the brands but are not authorised dealers for that brand. Go onto the bike brand website and look up the nearest authorised dealer in your area.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Very short sighted IMHO. I wish companies would look a bit further over the horizon when trying to charge for Warranty stuff on any bike..

Davidwylie

Feb 7, 2020
Leicestershire
My experience with Bosch and warranty work ... Had 550 error on my motor, took it to the lbs and Bosch asked for diagnostic report, this was sent. Day later shop got message that a new motor is on its way, in the space of 8 days (Bank holiday weekend) new motor fitted. When I collected my bike today, I asked if I owe anything (know the shop well and did not want them to incur any costs themselves) I was told no, its all covered in total by Bosch as warranty work.

Defjam3

Jul 19, 2020
Bristol
I spoke to bosch again.
A few points first its a Cube bike which i bought online and was shipped direct from Germany. The bike has a 1yr warranty and the motor has 2yrs bosch directed me to a bosch specific dealer/repairer. They confirmed that they credit the labour cost to the repairer as well as supply of a replacement motor. What they also said is that they have no control over the approved repairer also charging customers for the repair.as well. The motor can not be opened by anyone during the warranty period. Tomorrow i will call a few more shops. I know many shops sell various ebikes and won't be approved to test/update or repair the motors and being Cube unfortunately the UK has not got a Cube specific dealer yet. I will keep you updated :)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I spoke to bosch again.
A few points first its a Cube bike which i bought online and was shipped direct from Germany. The bike has a 1yr warranty and the motor has 2yrs bosch directed me to a bosch specific dealer/repairer. They confirmed that they credit the labour cost to the repairer as well as supply of a replacement motor. What they also said is that they have no control over the approved repairer also charging customers for the repair.as well. The motor can not be opened by anyone during the warranty period. Tomorrow i will call a few more shops. I know many shops sell various ebikes and won't be approved to test/update or repair the motors and being Cube unfortunately the UK has not got a Cube specific dealer yet. I will keep you updated :)
????? No UK dealer. Hargroves are a Premium Cube Dealer.....Swindon Southampton Chichester.

Defjam3

Jul 19, 2020
Bristol
it turns out that the onlh bosch appointed experts in Bristol "Take charge cycles of Redland charge the customer for warranty work carried out because it takes to long to be paid by Bosch which i believe is actually illegal !

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
it turns out that the onlh bosch appointed experts in Bristol "Take charge cycles of Redland charge the customer for warranty work carried out because it takes to long to be paid by Bosch which i believe is actually illegal !

what a bunch of cowboys.... oh well one to put on the avoid list - not that I was likely to use them anyway.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Why illegal? Your warranty/contract is with Bosch not the lbs. If your warranty specifies parts and labour you have 2 options. First request from Bosch an appointed Bosch service centre that will not charge for labour or second, failing that, ask Bosch to refund the labour cost charged by their appointed service centre direct to you on production of the invoice.

DecoyD

Mar 2, 2020
USA
What was the fix for the (cadence) 513 error? My Rail just got the same error. What’s weird is if I clear the error on the controller, I can ride the bike like normal. The error only come back on initial start up on each ride. Anyone know of another fix to this error?

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
What was the fix for the (cadence) 513 error? My Rail just got the same error. What’s weird is if I clear the error on the controller, I can ride the bike like normal. The error only come back on initial start up on each ride. Anyone know of another fix to this error?

My trek has had 513 on last 3 rides on start up ... But today switched off mid ride and now won't switch on ??...

DecoyD

Mar 2, 2020
USA
I'm second owner tho ..don't think the motors covered for me ??
Here in USA, Trek gives second owner 3 years warranty from original date of purchase. I think the Bosch warranty was 2 years.. see if you can get the proof of purchase from seller.

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
Here in USA, Trek gives second owner 3 years warranty from original date of purchase. I think the Bosch warranty was 2 years.. see if you can get the proof of purchase from seller.

I have got proof of purchase but trek only warranty the frame for 2nd owner in UK ???..

DecoyD

Mar 2, 2020
USA
I have got proof of purchase but trek only warranty the frame for 2nd owner in UK ???..
Might be worth asking seller if they can send bike in for warranty fix for alittle $$$. Cheaper than buying new motor.
maybe contact a Bosch mechanic. Don’t know If this is close to you. Good luck.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think you will find the warranty for the motor is with Bosch rather than the bike brand.

rsidedown

Nov 18, 2022
Vancouver
Older forum, but just came across this. My Rail 7 also had the 513 error (at least I think that is was it was), but according to the Trek shop it has a 550 error code as well (shown once hooked up to their computer).

Not certain on what to expect if the the fix will be covered by Bosch under warranty or not. Has me doubting even trying an emtb now. Seems to be a lot of motor issues.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Older forum, but just came across this. My Rail 7 also had the 513 error (at least I think that is was it was), but according to the Trek shop it has a 550 error code as well (shown once hooked up to their computer).

Not certain on what to expect if the the fix will be covered by Bosch under warranty or not. Has me doubting even trying an emtb now. Seems to be a lot of motor issues.
If it's under 2 years old,you're the first owner and you haven't had the motor modified then it will be covered by warranty.

rsidedown

Nov 18, 2022
Vancouver
If it's under 2 years old,you're the first owner and you haven't had the motor modified then it will be covered by warranty.
Well, the initial review came back that I will get no warranty on the failed motor. I pushed a case open with Bosch, so who knows if anything further will come of this. The positive is that I am back on my mtb and having fun.

The negative is that I doubt anything will come of the case with Bosch and I will need to buy a new motor. Unless I get a 2 year warranty on the new motor, I will be selling the bike as soon as I get it back. Hoping to be wrong, but ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles