Bosch Motor Error 511001

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
I’m experiencing error code 511001 - Drive Unit Error - Accleration Sensor.

The only symptom is that it throws the error and the light on the system controller is orange instead of the color of the mode (no Kiox screen). Otherwise the bike seems to function fine. A restart clears the error. It seems related to high speed/jumping as those are the trails it has appeared on. I’ve seen it on the last 4 of my total of 5 rides on the bike.

Just want to verify a couple things:
-Is this sensor integral to the motor or is it one I can fiddle with location, etc?
-Is this solely due to the trail types and something I should expect or does this warrant a visit to a Bosch service location?

Anyone else experience this?

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
This error is about the acceleration sensor built into the drive unit. This normally results in incorrect speed values on the display. Maybe in your case not having a display has something to do with it.

The steps to take from the Bosch helpsite are: „Restart the system. If the problem persists, please contact your Bosch eBike dealer.“

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
This error is about the acceleration sensor built into the drive unit. This normally results in incorrect speed values on the display. Maybe in your case not having a display has something to do with it.

The steps to take from the Bosch helpsite are: „Restart the system. If the problem persists, please contact your Bosch eBike dealer.“
I don’t think it’s related to the lack of screen, all the Voima’s would be throwing this error if that was the case.

The Bosch help site info displays on my phone app and that’s where I pulled the error code. Pretty happy with how well Bosch handles that (more info immediately available) and the motor continues to work, in comparison to my previous motor (Shimano).

I’m just curious if I’m going to end up stranded if I keep ignoring this error code. It seems the software is not properly analyzing the acceleration sensor’s input (only occurs on high speed trails with jumps and drops) but no issues

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
I don’t think it’s related to the lack of screen, all the Voima’s would be throwing this error if that was the case.
You have a point there.

I own a bike with the non-smart version of the CX Gen 4 motor and have never seen that error, even with fast trails including jumps and drops. Unfortunately Bosch hasn’t published anything about the purpose of that sensor or that there is one in the first place.

If the motor is still under warranty I would at least register the error with my dealer and have him contact Bosch about the need for repairs.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
Good point about making dealer aware. Would be good to get the ball rolling on troubleshooting so I don’t end up out of warranty with a bigger issue.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
the Flow App allows tuning of each mode and one of the options called Dynamic affects acceleration........so maybe it is a sensor associated with this tuning control that gets confused by your bike when airborne....then landing at whatever speed but with the "bike speed", as measured by rear wheel rotation, a lot slower. I wonder if increasing the "dynamic" slider to 5 would get rid of the fault report. ( Alternatively, keep pedalling like mad when airborne!!:p)

Boegey

Mar 14, 2024
Canberra
Any update on how this was resolved? Just picked up a new trek rail 9.8 and it has been coming up with the error code repeatedly, two times at the local dealer and still no solution. Bike seems to operate fine with the error but I wouldn’t know as it’s always done it.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
I still haven’t taken it in for a look. I have no issues other than the error being thrown. I’m now of the opinion that I’ll take it in with a few months left on the warranty to maximize “freshness” of any new parts as I leave the warranty period.

Locally I know of another Pole Voima owner with the same error code but no other issues so that also gives me some peace of mind.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles