Bosch Error 510 - magnetic interference?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
The latest drive unit 1.1.5.0. Your 1.3.3.0 relates to something else.

Is your motor Bosch CX Gen 4?

mmoscati

Jun 4, 2021
Italy
The latest drive unit 1.1.5.0. Your 1.3.3.0 relates to something else.

Is your motor Bosch CX Gen 4?

In the data sheet it is written Bosch, Performance Line, 250W, 65 Nm.
I saw the pdf report after the update and the version went from 1.3.0.0 to 1.3.3.0. Could they have the wrong type of firmware?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
In the data sheet it is written Bosch, Performance Line, 250W, 65 Nm.
I saw the pdf report after the update and the version went from 1.3.0.0 to 1.3.3.0. Could they have the wrong type of firmware?
@Hamina's correct.

You have a Bosch Performance line motor, not a Bosch CX Gen4. So, the Gen3.

It's a bit confusing as the first EMTB motor was the Gen 2.

Then the performance line was Gen 3.

The latest EMTB motor is the Gen 4.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
My information was relevant only for GEN 4.

GEN2: 510 error seems to be more a real physical sensor problem based on the internet stories.
GEN3: No information
GEN4: Maybe a real problem that Bosch has managed to dodge by modifying the firmware.

davem85

Feb 1, 2021
Germany
Hey guys,

my first Rail 5 2020 Motor has just been replaced in January and today I got a permanent 510 again!!

Similar situation, pulling my daughter in a child trailer had to stop for some seconds, when continuing my ride the error occurred and stayed.

No "warning 510" whatsoever.
Fidlock installed from the beginning (Jan).

I really hope the new updates fixes the whole thing without another replacement drive unit necessary.

Anyone with permanent 510 got it fixed with just this software update?

Cheers
David

mmoscati

Jun 4, 2021
Italy
Hey guys,

my first Rail 5 2020 Motor has just been replaced in January and today I got a permanent 510 again!!

Similar situation, pulling my daughter in a child trailer had to stop for some seconds, when continuing my ride the error occurred and stayed.

No "warning 510" whatsoever.
Fidlock installed from the beginning (Jan).

I really hope the new updates fixes the whole thing without another replacement drive unit necessary.

Anyone with permanent 510 got it fixed with just this software update?

Cheers
David
My problem has been fixed with replacement drive unit.

davem85

Feb 1, 2021
Germany
My problem has been fixed with replacement drive unit.

When did it get replaced? Did the try updating the software first?
My dealer which managed the first driveunit replacement is a bit far away unfortunately. If I only had to do a software update, I'd go to the dealer across the street (who unfortunately was not willing to help with the motor replacement the first time).

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I have a feeling that before the software update this spring the only way was changing the drive unit. Mine got replaced once, but the error came back: couple of times temporary and then permanent. Software update fixed this and it was also the message I got from Bosch.

davem85

Feb 1, 2021
Germany
Just a quick update. Software Update fixed it for my drive unit.
Feels a bit different though. When beating it on greenlights in turbo nothing happens for maybe half a second. Launching without knives between the teeth everything seems fine.

I'm still very happy not to wait for a new drive unit til end of season ?.

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
Maybe you have right about magnetism. I have a Scott 2020 edition ebike with Bosch CX gen 4, 1.0.2.0 firmware and Volspeed v3 instaled.
All was ok, i have 3500 km with 25km/h restriction and 350 km deristricted (43km speed limit).
Today i receive 510 error after a ride with my Volspeed v3 activated. Reading this post i think maybe the error appears after i have pedaling in a mini music festival perimeter from the center of my town where was many speakers and a lots of cables. Maybe was from there...i don't know. I turn off the bike and turn on and the 510 error desappear.
Before reading this post i read many things about 510 error like the motor is dead, you must do an update firmware etc
For me is very difficult to go to a bikeshop because i don't haven one in my town. I don't understand why Bosch doesn't get to the clients free access to their diagnose software.

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
Maybe you have right about magnetism. I have a Scott 2020 edition ebike with Bosch CX gen 4, 1.0.2.0 firmware and Volspeed v3 instaled.
All was ok, i have 3500 km with 25km/h restriction and 350 km deristricted (43km speed limit).
Today i receive 510 error after a ride with my Volspeed v3 activated. Reading this post i think maybe the error appears after i have pedaling in a mini music festival perimeter from the center of my town where was many speakers and a lots of cables. Maybe was from there...i don't know. I turn off the bike and turn on and the 510 error desappear.
Before reading this post i read many things about 510 error like the motor is dead, you must do an update firmware etc
For me is very difficult to go to a bikeshop because i don't haven one in my town. I don't understand why Bosch doesn't get to the clients free access to their diagnose software.

And now 510 error with no reseting solutions. I stop on the street and when i want to pedal again i get 510 error and i can't solve this. Closer bike shop is at 130 km so i can get there to soon. Someone knows how to solve this in the house ? I don't understand why this error appear and why can't be washed away. Some help, please ! Thank you !

mmoscati

Jun 4, 2021
Italy
And now 510 error with no reseting solutions. I stop on the street and when i want to pedal again i get 510 error and i can't solve this. Closer bike shop is at 130 km so i can get there to soon. Someone knows how to solve this in the house ? I don't understand why this error appear and why can't be washed away. Some help, please ! Thank you !
in my case the error appeared only after a few hundred meters, the firmware update did not help me, the assistance provided me with a new drive unit in about 10 days, with the new drive unit the problem no longer occurred. In my case it was not a magnetism problem that sometimes appeared, but a persistent problem with each use.Unfortunately the assistance did not tell me what the real problem was.

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
It's a weird situation, indeed.
i uninstal the crank arms and instal them again. Also i put a fridge magnet in the motor zone and on the routing cables. I read somewhere that the dropper post cable can creat some magnetism field because of his friction...it's possible ? i think about this because few days ago i change the old cable who broke on the road with a new steel one.
Today i take my ebike out, turn on and off and on again and he work ! The error disappeat but i'm afraid that it will appear and i don't want to think how it will be appearing in a hilly roads. Very very strange situations. Maybe this post will be read by someone who can give us some real help and explanation.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I have a feeling that it doesn't have any relation to magnetic fields outside the bike.

The official comment from Bosch is still that this has been fixed with firmware update.

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
The Error can still happen, but now there's no message now, just a massive drag while pedaling. I had this happen a few times, and they reset reinstalled the FW, it cleared the error and it just back to pedaling normal. For my experience, I always get errors, whenever I ride over any those large steel plates thats laid over road repairs. Which I assume is emitting some strong EMFs (just a theory). Now I do my best, whenever I'm to avoid them as much as possible.

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
I receive an email from tje official Bosch ebike department :

We are sorry your eBike has developed an error. We would recommend that you visit a dealer as soon as you can.

The error 510 can be a warning against magnetization- do you have any magnetic components on this eBike, for example magnetic bottle, pedals or similar? We can recommend to take these elements off the eBike and see if this error code disappears then.

We would still strongly advise that you go see a Bosch eBike dealer so they can update the software on the eBike and test your eBike

So they know something and maybe the only solutuion is to update the firmware to the last one but i don't know if this will not be a problem for my already instaled volspeed v3. Because now i have the old one 1.0.2.0 firmware and i ride maximum in Tour mode with my speed limit set at 43km/h (maybe just few times emtb mode when i need a real boost). I don't want to solve 510 error and get a new problem, you know what i mean ?:))) I already read that the antituning detects the cip when you ride a lot in emtb and turbo mode but i don't know if the last firmware isn't so sensitive that it will catch the cip even if i will ride in Tour mode. Do you know something about that ?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
You will have no problem with the latest firmware and Volspeed V3, but you WILL have problem with the 510 ERROR if you don't update the firmware when you already have had the symptoms.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I have a feeling that it doesn't have any relation to magnetic fields outside the bike.

The official comment from Bosch is still that this has been fixed with firmware update.
It definitely can be caused by an external magnetic field - but I dont think all instances of the error are caused by an external mag field, some will be just a simple failure of a component in the motor.

In my case it was caused by a magnetic spirit level being placed next to the motor - it was as clear as day - put the magnetic spirit level next to the motor and the error appears, take the megnetic spirit level away and the error goes away - I could repeat this process all day.

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
I'll prefaced this, by saying I took this measures as based as I could, so there could be some inaccuracies. If anybody has insight about magnets and how the possible positioning and direction plays a part in sensors, please jump in.

Wanted to share something, some readings I took about awhile ago, but haven't gotten around to post it. After months of waiting, I finally received Magura's Sensor Magnet that mount directly to the MDR-P rotor.

image.jpg

The few things I noticed, and thought about after mounting it was the magnet positioning and possible shield interference from the OEM magnet.

Looking at the back of the OEM sensor magnet you can see that its on it side (haven't tested to see which end is positive or negative **UPDATE** Both ends are Positivity charged). Either way, I wonder if this sideways mounting of the magnet with two positive ends could be causing false readings, since typical sensors are only picking up magnetic forces from one end of a magnet instead of two.
image(1).jpg
Just like most people, I have experienced the erratic speed readings, before getting the 510 error. Which I still believe is tied to EMF from some electrical lines covered by those steel plates (after rolling over them) during street construction.
I wonder if the housing has affect on this sideways mounted magnet.

So I used am EMF reader from the app store, so readings are not 100% to the meter for this type investigation of a curious mind. Yes, I realize I missed a few readings and also a few readings from the Magura sensor magnet.

I basically took readings on a flat surface in 360° with OEM magnet positioned upright with the open back exposed. And the magnet placed in the middle. The reason for this was to see if the housing played any part of blocking magnetic forces.

As you can see from the readings how they changed depending on the position.
But most telling is when I took readings against the magnets on the covered (3462 uF) and uncovered (4445 uF) sections with a difference of almost 1000 uF.
IMG_1654.jpg

I found this one to be interesting with the magnet laying flat and taking the reading from above and below, is how the numbers changed compared to (covered) front to (uncovered) back. Possible I took the reading too close?
MOLDIV-001.jpg

How it looks mounted.
image(2).jpg

So far I have ridden about 100 miles and the Magura sensor magnet does work, knocking on wood I dont have any 510 errors in the future.

Last edited:

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
So I've had my 2020 Rail for about 18 months and 1300 off road miles, it's never skipped a beat. Two days ago I was on a ride and in a VERY rural location. No masts/ cables/ loops/ etc within a good mile at least. Stopped to take a picture, put my phone back in camelback, then scrolled through my Kiox to check trip milage. All fine.

The second I kicked off again 510 error, no assist, no walk function, the same symptoms as a couple of others on this thread. So I reset battery, removed volspeed trailside, nothing worked. Annoyingly I had a hilly 12 mile ride home, for anyone that knows, Ventnor to Newport, with no assist. Not fun.

Local shop (who were amazingly helpful, even though I didn't buy the bike from them) plugged it in, and collectively said 'aahhhhhh it's on the original firmware.'

So while the magnatism thing might well trigger the 510 error, it definitely did not trigger mine. I'd hazard a guess at a sensor drifting slightly out of a set parameter and the motor shutting down for safety's sake, corrected by moving said parameters goalposts slightly?

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I've had this happen on my bike, and my mate had it on his too (mines a cube, his the decathlon stilus - both bosch gen 4 motors)
They both happened in the same place on a very rural cross country ride but on different days, so we can only assume there's some sort of underground power lines or something there.

Never been much of an issue as turning it off and on again clears the fault.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
My bike ('21 Wild FS) has been fine for almost 2 years, a few weeks ago I had all the frame bearings replaced and at same time fitted a 34T direct mount chainring to replace the standard 32T one with a spider.

last ride I was getting 510 errors all the time as soon as I get into stop/start stuff. once I turn off on and ride again it will go until I stop, then it'll throw the error code, sometimes it takes 3-4 goes to clear it by turning on/off.

possibilities:
34T ring causing some sort of magnetic interference?
new frame bearings causing some sort of magnetic interference?
when the back end was split to do the pivot bearing the LBS disturbed a cable/connector to the magnet sensor?

Last edited:

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
As in my case the error was torque sensor inside the motor. That would say that it's not logical the problem to be in rear wheel speed sensor. I think there was a own error code for speed sensor.

There has been no error since I got the update for the software.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
before my ride today I took the motor guard off to reveal the connections, discovered tons or mud and pine needles so cleaned all that away, took the connections apart but they look undisturbed, there's actually a ton of slack on the speed sensor wire so it doesn't look like they would have even needed to disconnect it. nevertheless I cleaned the rubbers on the connectors and applied some silicone grease to them and re assembled. and then I had a look at the magnet on the brake disk and discovered it looked like a Christmas tree as it was covered in loads of fine metal shavings:oops:
I cleaned all that off and on my 2 hour ride this afternoon the bike behaved faultlessly 👌

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
seems the error is back, took about 20 resets to get it to work today and it wouldn't ride for more than 1km before stopping and showing error 510. took loads of resets to get it to work, did 4km and gave up and came home.
after cleaning the bike I put the original 32T ring back on and took it for a short ride around the houses to test, it still says error 510 every few minutes when stopping or starting, but just one reset and it's fine again. compared to on my actual attempted ride where it would take 10-20 resets to get it to work. as I was putting it away, 5 seconds after it was on the rack it displayed error 510, so it did that when nothing was moving(crank arm and wheels stationary)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles