Ebike Garmin apps ~ UPDATE: new multi battery support

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Anyone having issues with distance?
...Any help appreciated.
If you are having problems with distance it is not an issue of Jan Capeks ebike field. The „normal“ field does not report distanc and the „nerd style“ field simply takes distance which is reported by the Garmin device.
So, first we have to know: where comes distance information on your bike? Might be:
-GPS
-Garmin speedsensor
-Levo-speed

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
If you are having problems with distance it is not an issue of Jan Capeks ebike field. The „normal“ field does not report distanc and the „nerd style“ field simply takes distance which is reported by the Garmin device.
So, first we have to know: where comes distance information on your bike? Might be:
-GPS
-Garmin speedsensor
-Levo-speed

Agree 100%

For me it was the speed sensor, I disabled it and use the Garmin speed sensor that came in the MTB Bundle. All the speed/distance problems went away. Not sure if it is a Levo or Garmin problem but either way....

Frax

Jun 16, 2020
UK, Reading
Agree 100%

For me it was the speed sensor, I disabled it and use the Garmin speed sensor that came in the MTB Bundle. All the speed/distance problems went away. Not sure if it is a Levo or Garmin problem but either way....

I think that’s what it is, I shall give that a go and see what happens.
Cheers guys!

Frax

Jun 16, 2020
UK, Reading
Just done an online calculation to find the wheel circumference and input that manually to the speed/cadence sensor field. I like having the cadence data but speed and cadence come as a package it seems.
I’ll test this out and see if it’s anymore accurate.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Cadence data comes with the power sensor, too! No need to use speed+cad for only cadence if you‘re using power sensor anyway.

Andymiff

Nov 27, 2018
Derbyshire
I Have the Garmin edge 1000. I have it set up for cadence, however, it shows initial cadence and then updates very infrequently to the extent I do all the ride at 55 rpm. I'm a spinner so I know it's way higher

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I'm using Garmin Fenix 6X and Ebike field for displaying data (speed, cadence, power, battery % ...) of my TL Comp 2020. I'm noticing that couple of times per ride speed suddenly drops to 0 for about 1-2 seconds and then gets restored back to real value. Is this expected behaviour/issue with these watches and this bikes?
Finally I got this issue fixed. About a week ago I got a new improved Brose 2.1 motor (belt failed on old one) and now with a new motor I don't get these speed drop outs anymore on my F6X watch. So apparentely old motor had some issues to occasionally stop transmitting speed pulses to the TCU and then to the Garmin for a few seconds. Very happy now.

Last edited:

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Hi Jan, I wonder if you can help? I have a specialized HT Levo 2020, installed your app on my Garmin 520 plus and it worked perfectly, I set the wheel size at 2000mm and it gave me a great increase of just over 18mph, I checked mission control and that had also changed to 2000mm, all was well until I had a ride planned with a friend on his road bike, I changed the wheel size to 1800mm to give an extra boost ,but the motor started to pulse, so I changed it back to 2000mm and now the bike is even slower than it was before and I struggle to get 14.5mph, checked in mission control and the wheel size is now 2450mm!! I have always made sure I disconnect mission Control and turn it off in settings, any ideas?

Last edited:

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Hi Jan, I wonder if you can help? I have a specialized HT Levo 2020, installed your app on my Garmin 520 plus and it worked perfectly, I set the wheel size at 2000mm and it gave me a great increase of just over 18mph, I checked mission control and that had also changed to 2000mm, all was well until I had a ride planned with a friend on his road bike, I changed the wheel size to 1800mm to give an extra boost ,but the motor started to pulse, so I changed it back to 2000mm and now the bike is even slower than it was before and I struggle to get 14.5mph, checked in mission control and the wheel size is now 2450mm!! I have always made sure I disconnect mission Control and turn it off in settings, any ideas?

I think it’s ok, looks like I have managed to get it back with BLEVO

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I've been used Ebike field datafield on my F6X watch for about a year without issues, but now I bought Garmin Edge 530 and also installed Ebike field, all software and firmware is latest version, first ride it was fine but in the middle of 2nd ride I've got IQ error on that datafield but I don't know why. Any idea @JanCapek?

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
@salko
Does it work again after a reboot of your Edge?
With my new Edge 1030 PLUS I‘ve got this IQ error too - but only one time - never again since then.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
@salko
Does it work again after a reboot of your Edge?
With my new Edge 1030 PLUS I‘ve got this IQ error too - but only one time - never again since then.
Yes now after restarting Garmin (also starting new activity) Ebike fileld seems to work again. I hope it does not happen again, I saw that when I got this IQ error it also stopped recording battery state and support mode ...
How do you guys start, pause activities to avoid sensor and ebike field conectivity problems? First bike on, then Garmin on, on ride pause first garmin stop then bike off?

BigFoot

Jan 9, 2019
Bethesda, Maryland USA
Hello, I just released 2.0 version of Ebike Field!

Changelog:
- added compatibility with lots of new Garmin devices
- major update of ANT+ connectivity module
- multi bike/battery pairing support (Premium)
- added indicator of enabled premium mode (--P--)
- fixed freezing issue
- fixed crash when PIN is added but not email

So, all of you with more batteries or bikes, you can now pair more than one, so no more of changing settings in the middle of the ride! (@Plumbr , @Hannes_3000 )
Please note that app tries to find devices one by one - so for example third device is started to be searched after about 40 seconds after app was started.

Also there were several reports about "freezing problem" - mainly on device Edge 130. Can somebody please verify that it is not the issue anymore? (@etoni , @eabmex )

I also added --P-- indicator showing that app is running in premium mode before it connect to ebike. Can please all of you with Premium version check if the P is showed properly for you and let me know if not? I am not sure, if all devices can show this character. :unsure: Thanks

Lots of changes were applied also to Nerd Style version.

Enjoy!
Hi Jan
How do I pay for Premium Ebike Field, I want to read the battery on my edge 1030 on 2 different 2019 Levo's?

Thanks

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Dude, I wear glasses, that is the problem.

If I don’t wear glasses I will have absolutely no problem seeing the small text on any watch very clearly.

However, I will not be able to see where I am going down the trail. It just turns into a very fuzzy, blurry, scary place to be ?

Time for bifocals!

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Last week or two I'm getting quite many Ebike data field 'crashes', it just stop working in the middle of the ride, it is IQ error or this --P-- like on attached photo. Anyone experience this? I use Garnin Edge 530...

IMG_20201129_181027.jpg

Last edited:

HopperMtb

Oct 29, 2020
Bay Area CA
Last week or two I'm getting quite many Ebike data field crashes, it just stop working in the middle of the ride, it is IQ error or this --P-- like on attachef photo. Anyone experience this? I use Garnin Edge 530...

View attachment 45865
I unfortunately had the same exact issue during my last ride. Tried restarting the bike and the garmin 530 multiple times and finally got it to work. Then mid ride it stopped again. Of course when I get it home after the ride it’s fine.

Jilleride45

Nov 2, 2018
USA
I have a Levo SL and Creo SL and use a Garmin edge 1000 with Ebike field. If the Garmin is on before the bike I get -P- for a while. Also sometimes randomly during the ride -P- comes up but after a few minutes it reconnects and all is good.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I now remember Garmin updated itself about a week or two back, maybe this is causing this issue ...

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Ahh, not another Garmin firmware related issue.. :( Garmin continuously break something with their new updates. -P- is allright, it is just that app doesn't have yet, or looses connection. This can happen but app should automatically reconnect. But IQ means that Ebike Field crashed..
What FW do you have? Is there somebody experience the same thing on other Garmin models? (Please note that bug in Garmin FW is often quickly spread across more devices as Garmin reuses same code.)

HopperMtb

Oct 29, 2020
Bay Area CA
Ahh, not another Garmin firmware related issue.. :( Garmin continuously break something with their new updates. -P- is allright, it is just that app doesn't have yet, or looses connection. This can happen but app should automatically reconnect. But IQ means that Ebike Field crashed..
What FW do you have? Is there somebody experience the same thing on other Garmin models? (Please note that bug in Garmin FW is often quickly spread across more devices as Garmin reuses same code.)
I’ll try and check after work

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles