E160 - Changing the handlebars

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Few rides in now on my new e160 8000 and I'd like to add a bit more rise & width to the bars. Went to swap over to a spare 40mm rise/800mm width alloy bar I have today and discovered the internal routing to the Shimano controller on the standard bars.

Can't see any available options for a new bar with internal routing that has a 40/50mm rise available anywhere and didn't think drilling the alloy bar was a good idea.

Can the cable just be externally routed? Maybe just use some cable ties to run it along the bar? I didn't take enough of it apart to trace the full routing but assume it just runs to the control display unit somehow? Can it just be unplugged at one end to remove the cabling or is it more complicated than that?

Anyone swapped their bars and come up with a solution? Or found bars with routing that offer more rise?
TIA.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Yep. Just unplug from the display (carefully. remove by the plug not the cable.) and remove. If you could be bothered there are even expensive Di2 rubber bands you can get that are purpose made to hold the cable. A few small rubber bands from the supermarket will work just as well.

Gordon

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Easy job in the end (Thanks Gordon). Managed to hold the wire in place with the bands from my Garmin mount so all nicely tucked out the way and looks fine. The extra 20mm rise on the bars feels spot on now too. (y)(y)(y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles