e160 handlebar change

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Hi,

I'm looking to change my bars to ones without a hole in them. I have AXS and was planning to run the cables out the derailleur hole in the frame but not sure if they would be long enough.

Has anyone done it? Have any pics?

Thanks
MAS

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
I changed my bars on my E160 to something with a greater rise and had no problem with any of the cable lengths, just had to cable tie them to the bars in a couple of spots. Don't over tighten the cable ties though as did have a problem with breaking the cable internally by over tightening the ties. Hope this is a help.

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I changed my bars on my E160 to something with a greater rise and had no problem with any of the cable lengths, just had to cable tie them to the bars in a couple of spots. Don't over tighten the cable ties though as did have a problem with breaking the cable internally by over tightening the ties. Hope this is a help.
But where did you route the cables? Currently they go through the stem and out a hole in the bars. Did you route them back out the hole for the dropper cable?
Thanks

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Ah very sorry there Mas, I've got the older E160 900e as you can see to the left by my emoji, so no routing the cable through the head stem. It all goes through the little ports either side of the frame up near the steering tube. You could always go that way, not as neat but solves a whole heap of problems.

Reactions: mas

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
I ran my control unit cable out the right side of the bike and re-routed my rear brake through that side when I removed the standard slx's. Added an I9 Stem, One-up carbon bars and used epoxy resin to fill the stem hole. I think get the OEM Shimano cable holders for the switch wiring, doubled it back on itself and heatshrunk it and it sits under the bars.

My gx axs kit should be here soon too!

PXL_20220628_210612226.jpg
PXL_20220628_210638322.jpg

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I ran my control unit cable out the right side of the bike and re-routed my rear brake through that side when I removed the standard slx's. Added an I9 Stem, One-up carbon bars and used epoxy resin to fill the stem hole. I think get the OEM Shimano cable holders for the switch wiring, doubled it back on itself and heatshrunk it and it sits under the bars.

My gx axs kit should be here soon too!
Thanks for that. Just what I was looking for.

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
But where did you route the cables? Currently they go through the stem and out a hole in the bars. Did you route them back out the hole for the dropper cable?
Thanks

I recently changed to carbon handlebars without internal routing. Had to design a clip so the electric cable runs along the brake hose. Looks quite neat. Happy to share the STL if it helps.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles