manual on the e160

esie

Apr 10, 2021
wales
anyone else feel the front end is extremely heavy? i cant seem to get it up past about 3'' off the floor, i can manual a 45lb downhill bike with ease, but with this thing it feels like a loosing battle, any tips?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
i can manual a 45lb downhill bike with ease
Define "manual"?
Pop the front wheel up and hold the bike balanced on the rear wheel for quite a long time?
or
Pop the front and keep the front wheel off the ground for a couple of seconds to clear an obsticle, dip, compression or roller?

Heavier or longer bikes need more pre-load and weightshift to raise the front wheel to balance point than shorter lighter bikes.
but they're actually more stable when you reach the balance point.

esie

Apr 10, 2021
wales
Define "manual"?
Pop the front wheel up and hold the bike balanced on the rear wheel for quite a long time?
or
Pop the front and keep the front wheel off the ground for a couple of seconds to clear an obsticle, dip, compression or roller?

Heavier or longer bikes need more pre-load and weightshift to raise the front wheel to balance point than shorter lighter bikes.
but they're actually more stable when you reach the balance point.
meant keep it up, or even get it up, i cant get the bloody thing to even go near tipping point, it just feels like theres so much weight at the front end

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Are you quite small?

Any bike can be manualled if it fits you.
to raise the front on a heavy long Eeb you just need to alter your technique slightly.
a heavier longer front end does require an exagerated preload and harder kick when you weightshift.
A wee trick that might help you on a heavy Eeb is to give a wee bounce preload through the pedals just before you go for the initiation.

also don't be aftraid to throw your weight much further back and lower than on your old DH bike.

Here's a pic of Ben Walker mannying a Scott Eeb that's too big for him on a video shoot

p5pb19419330.jpg

Notice how low his CoG is and that he's actually hanging DOWN as well as back off the bars basically with his eyeline almost below the bars.
Speaking to Ben about this shoot he said he basically had to re-train himself to manual that day because of the extra length of that bike. He's an experienced rider used to riding motorcycles, Ebikes and DH bikes off road.

here's the video shoot for context.

You can clearly see at points he's so low in mannies that he's looking UNDER the bars.

Basically you just need to try harder to reach the balance point but also alter your current technique slightly. You definitely will be capable of manualling your Ebike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have manuals pretty dialled on all my bikes but It does generally takes me a couple of tries to hit the balance point cleanly if I've switched from one of my normal bikes to my Ebike. and similarly if I switch from my DJ hardtail to Enduro or DH bike or DJ bike to my BMX.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ps. also get your saddle as low as it can go without buzzing the tyre as the suspension compresses to give you as much crotch room as possible to hold the manny.
and whether you prefer to drag the rear brake or coast brakeless will also make a difference to the body position you'll need to adopt.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles