E160 900E gearing change

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Has anyone tried a 36 tooth front sprocket on the Merida 160 900E rather than the supplied 34 tooth ? I find I am not using the lowest gears very often, but need more top end. Just wondering if that would make the lower gears too high ?

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I'm not at home right now to look it up but you can easily find sites that will give you the comparison ratios between larger and smaller front cogs. Then just see what rear you'd be on if you change based on the same ratio with the larger cog.

Gordon

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Next size up from Shimano is 38 tooth, but other manufacturers make 36 tooth versions to fit. Gear ratio numbers don't mean much to me, its a feel thing. Was just wondering if anyone had tried a larger than 34 tooth front sprocket on the 11 speed 11/46 Shimano M8000 cassette ?

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
From 34T to 36T is ~6% difference. At the same cadence, your speed will be 6% faster in every gear - 40kph vs 42.4kph as an example. I went the other way and replaced my 34 with a 32T.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
A few have done it with the shimano motor. Do you really need to be pedaling at 25mph?

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Yes, racing in my clubs summer series in the E bike section, and am getting left behind on the flatter sections and some uphills.

Reactions: njn

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Spinning out with the 34T of flat an uphills(??) or just left behind because others are riding derestricted bikes?

All the bikes are derestricted including mine. The Giant and specialized are both more powerful than my Shimano off the bottom, especially the Giant, and tend to get away on uphills. The guy with the Giant is running a 36 tooth front sprocket, so still pips me on the flat as well. Only way I can catch them, is I am faster on the down hills and corners, but hard to pass on the narrow tracks.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
All the bikes are derestricted including mine. The Giant and specialized are both more powerful than my Shimano off the bottom, especially the Giant, and tend to get away on uphills. The guy with the Giant is running a 36 tooth front sprocket, so still pips me on the flat as well. Only way I can catch them, is I am faster on the down hills and corners, but hard to pass on the narrow tracks.
Interesting... in our races, restricted only/one battery and let the strongest rider win.

Gregbase

Mar 7, 2019
Hungary
Interesting. I only hear the opposite, my friend has a Stevens, he changed the 36T to 34T because of the tricky very steep uphills (same shimano engine). He said it makes big different.

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
I have now fitted a 36 tooth praxis front sprocket, and it works well, the bike feels better geared and the motor stays in the assist zone better, and doesn't hit the chainstay as drjarvis 2003 suggested.

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
So apparently 36 fits, atleast Praxis, so basically any brand should fit ? Asking because drjarvis said it wont fit...

Curious about this too, as praxis get real expensive here having to order it from abroad.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
As far as i remember it was a shimano 36 tooth chainring that i tried, although it may have been another brand and there was no way that it would fit, just have a look at the back teeth on your 34 tooth and you will see how close to the chainstay they are.

igoriokas

Jul 24, 2019
Pizdec00
The 36t chainring fits Merida e160 very well.
There is about 2mm of clearance.
I used Deckas 36t chainring from AliExpress.
It works very well as new, will see about the durability in the longterm.

Photo Aug 26, 08 55 30.jpg
Photo Aug 26, 08 55 50.jpg
Photo Aug 26, 08 56 39.jpg

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
I've ordered a 36T off eBay. $29au delivered including a set of alloy chainring bolts. Let's see how it goes

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Well I fitted up my new 36T Deckas chain ring yesterday, easy install and clears the chain stay no problem. The 36T seems to launch the bike a bit more aggressively with the same settings. I'd like to be able to change it in one of the aftermarket apps but can't seem to be able to adjust the front ring size to 36T. (Edit: apparently the latest release of Steps Unlocker now allows this). You can still utilise the chain guide, it just needed to be rotated slightly to the rear to clear the chain.

Tip, when you have the chain ring off, check your motor mounting bolts. All of mine needed some tightening and the one in the middle on the drive side was one full turn loose. I should've removed them and put a dab of grease under the head but I forgot, if it still creaks I'll have to do it but the chain ring will need to come off to do so.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles