Dry Suspension linkage, new Bike, Giant E+ SX Pro

steve06

Feb 26, 2019
uk
Just bought a Giant Trance E+ SX Pro, Changed the the Shock coil to my weight and couldn't help noticing that the bushings and Shock spindles are dry on the Suspension Linkages, is this normal? im a bit anal regarding maintenance and would love to slap some decent grease on em

Cheers

Steve

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Don't oil them bushes! If it's meant to be dry, leave it dry. *

Way back in '97, I bought a AMP Research B4 full suspension MTB and was worried about having to replace suspension pivot point bushings, so I oiled them thinking it would make them last longer. The oil attracted dirt and they wore out prematurely. 1-2 years later the rear end was weaving side to side as I peddled, so I contacted AMP to obtain new bushes. AMP were surprised and wanted to know why they failed. When I told them what I had done, they explained that the bushings had a special coating that was expected to last the lifetime of the frame. They sent me new bushes (for free) with the explicit instruction to never use any lubricant (wet or dry).

* Maybe? If the bushes appear to have no special surface treatment, then they probably were assembled with graphite dust (that locksmith's use). It's an almost invisible extremely fine dust (Graphene) and completely dry, so it won't attract dirt. But I wouldn't consider using anything else.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles