Driving N to S across France/Spain Dieppe to Sierra Nevadas. EMTB locations along the way?

acrmnsm

Mar 20, 2020
UK
We have to cross France to get to Spain in June, and have some time to waste.
The fastest route is Dieppe-LeMans-Tours-Bordeaux-San-Sebastien-Madrid-Granda, but this may not be the best for an awesome MTB experience?
We are already thinking of going to Ainsa having had a great trip there this year. After Bordeaux its a dog leg via Pau and then through the Tunnel d'Aragnouet, which is an awesome experience!
Can anyone recommend any decent locations in France that are not the Alps? 20k routes or less, or lots of shorter routes, we like it steep and fun but are old so cannot do 40k days.
Is it worth tracking over to the Grand Massif Central?
Anything On Route on the western side of France?
France side of Pyrenees?
In Spain anything on the way form Ainsa to Madrid?
Thanks in advance.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You need a French biker and that's not me! Only been to the Alps.

Does the map of emtb members show many from France? If they can be identified you could ping them a message.

@Zimmerframe lives in France, he may be able to help.

acrmnsm

Mar 20, 2020
UK
Cheers, yeah looked on lots of TF and WIKILOC, lots of trails, almost too many. Just hoping to get recommendations. Experience counts.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I did that in 2019, rode the Lourdes DH track and then, across the pirenees into Spain rode the Fiscal trails. Had a guided tour with a british guy who had just movef from South Africa to Fiscal and was starting a hostel business there. This trip ended in Barcelon, where you can find endless mtb trails around the city.

acrmnsm

Mar 20, 2020
UK
Thanks for your reply. I forgot about Lourdes, now that is a good idea.
Fiscal? Where is that?
Edit - found it, it is partly in ZonaZero which is all based around Ainsa. I have been to Ainsa but did not do any of these routes, so will take a look.

Last edited:

acrmnsm

Mar 20, 2020
UK
I have also found this spot at Limoges which is right on our route.

FrostFlame

Mar 15, 2024
Philippines
Along your route, consider exploring the Basque Country in France for thrilling MTB trails with stunning coastal views. Biarritz and Saint-Jean-de-Luz offer diverse routes suitable for shorter, steep rides that align with your preferences. In Spain, Sierra de Guadarrama National Park near Madrid provides an array of MTB options, including technical singletracks and scenic paths in Navacerrada and Cercedilla. And if you need more guidance or local insights, you can also explore options on https://gowithguide.com/spain/madrid Enjoy your adventure! 🚵‍♂️

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
I have also found this spot at Limoges which is right on our route.
Sorry I don't have any useful info to impart but this is a subject I am interested in too but we would be doing the same sort of trip in early or late winter (late Nov or early March) to escape the rain. Any idea when the season is for this place and Ainsa/Fiscal?

acrmnsm

Mar 20, 2020
UK
Ainsa in early June last year was good, couple of rainy days, but mostly great conditions.
As a Brit, I don't like it too hot, so temps were great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles