Dreaded 504 Error - Trek Rail 2020

Pete_

Dec 2, 2020
Uk
Morning all , so was out for a Ride a couple of days ago 25k into it I got the dreaded 504 Error. I have never had the bike motor tuned or tampered with at all. Basically you could cycle through cranks twice with some assistance after coasting a few seconds then no assistance , also showing no range at all on the Purion controller even though there were 3 bars of battery left. Didn't matter what power mode I chose the assistance level was the same. If I then continued to pedal it was like trying to drive a manual car for the first time just cutting in and out ( although making the right noise as if the motor was working it didn't offer any assistance ) this was a 20 /25 min climb back to the car.

I called A Trek Dealer close to home and dropped it off to them the following day - they are looking into a couple of things 1- Speed Sensor , 2 - Torque Sensor. From what they described. Although they said the Speed Sensor parts are not showing in stock right now. Which given the post Covid way of the world I kinda guessed would be the case.

Just got to wait now and hope I get the bike back and functioning as soon as possible. ??

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
My Rail 2020 is waiting for it’s 3rd motor now. First one lasted 3000km, second one 450km. I’m my experience with error codes they usually end up in replace motors

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Do you know what firmware your motor is on? If it’s a 2020 that’s never been updated it could be caused by the old firmware that had a known problem with erroneous 504 errors. My bike did it after about 450 miles and a reset and new firmware seemed to sort it.

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
Do you know what firmware your motor is on? If it’s a 2020 that’s never been updated it could be caused by the old firmware that had a known problem with erroneous 504 errors. My bike did it after about 450 miles and a reset and new firmware seemed to sort it.

[mention]Doomanic [/mention] do you have any confirmation that this was in fact the case?
Bosch Australia is currently denying a warranty claim suggesting my motor has been modified/tampered with (which it never has, I bought the bike new) I had a 504 once, dealer cleared it and updated firmware, code never reappeared. Bosch Aus are saying that the idea there was a version of firmware that flagged false 504’s is BS.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Have a look on the Bosch website at the firmware versions, might be in there.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Do you know which firmware version is on your bike?

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
I’ve noted the firmware versions however I’m fairly sure they’re from after the update.

Motor 1.1.5.0

Controller 1.4.0.0

Batt 1.11.0.0

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles