Warranty after 504

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
Bike: 2021 Trek Rail
Purchased: Trek official dealer Oct 2021 (Australia)
Error: early 2023 (approx 2000kms) 504 error code, reset by same dealer and firmware updated. Code never reappears.
History: late 2023, 3500kms (same) Trek dealer replaced frame due to crack.
Early 2024, 3700kms motor fails, cannot communicate to controller, LBS says crushed wiring harness, LBS replaces harness and is now able to communicate, however now a 500 motor failure exists, LBS suggests frame replacement could be cause of crushed harness.

This bike has never been derestricted, ever.

All of the above information was sent to Bosch and their response was NOT that it was 2 months out of warranty but was to suggest that it had been modified/tampered with and have thus denied a warranty claim.
To say that I’m disappointed in Bosch is an understatement, I’d be happy to take my medicine if they had stated the warranty period had expired, but they’ve instead called me a liar insisting that the bike was tampered with, which i can guarantee is has not, it was bought brand new with zero kms, and has never been lent to anyone.

i don't know if this info can help anyone but i'd recommend getting your software updated as it does appear some old version/s logs 504's incorrectly.

My Trek dealer told me that the Trek warranty team would be involved but nothing has come of that either.

Note: I can’t fault my Trek dealer, they have offered to replace the motor at cost and no charge for labour. But I just don’t want to give Bosch another cent of my money.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I feel your pain its totally unfair
But i would not give up
Do you have a governing body over there for consumer rights etc ? i would go down that route next
I would also like to know how they have come to the conclusion that its been tampered with
As for not giving Bosch another cent of your money i here what your saying but are you willing to scrap the bike over principles as much as it would gripe my shit personally to do so
Good luck with battle (y)

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
I feel your pain its totally unfair
But i would not give up
Do you have a governing body over there for consumer rights etc ? i would go down that route next
I would also like to know how they have come to the conclusion that its been tampered with
As for not giving Bosch another cent of your money i here what your saying but are you willing to scrap the bike over principles as much as it would gripe my shit personally to do so
Good luck with battle (y)

Paulquattro, they can see from the data downloaded that a 504 code was deleted (or at least they can see something was deleted) and I had no reason to lie so I told them it’s was a 504 error, when it happened and who corrected it, this is why they believe it’s been tampered with.

Am I willing to scrap the bike in exchange for my principles? No, but this post advising the way they treat their customers will hopefully ease the pain.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
All of the above information was sent to Bosch and their response was NOT that it was 2 months out of warranty but was to suggest that it had been modified/tampered with and have thus denied a warranty claim.
In my country it would be on the manufacturer to prove it in a small claims court.
If Bosch ever tell me I derestricted my bike to void my warranty I would never buy bosch ever again.

If that happened to someone I knew it would put me off ever buying a Bosch bike again as well.
99% of people I speak to would never try to derestrict within the warranty period as it is.

Paulquattro, they can see from the data downloaded that a 504 code was deleted
ask them how they are proposing that you deleted the error code when you have no access to the Bosch dealer software.

can't you get proof of work done by your bikeshop? surely they should be backing you up if they ever want to sell you another bike.
honestly if they let bosch get away with this crap, it's a bad bike shop, don't give them any more custom

btw it's a known problem it seems about wrong 504 errors..

wasn't their a thing where magnetic fields like traffic light detection loops in the road, can throw up a false derestriction attempt? and then bosch fixed it with an update?

Last edited:

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
Ark, yes that’s also how things work here, but if Bosch say their software is designed to detect speed signal manipulation and that’s what the 504 error is, I would thinks that’s proof enough? I have nothing but the knowledge that it has not been tampered with. And at the end of the day it’s a couple of months out of warranty so I don’t like my chances.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Ark, yes that’s also how things work here, but if Bosch say their software is designed to detect speed signal manipulation and that’s what the 504 error is, I would thinks that’s proof enough? I have nothing but the knowledge that it has not been tampered with. And at the end of the day it’s a couple of months out of warranty so I don’t like my chances.
you can find evidence online like the forum post above I edited into my post.

that proves 504 can be an error

heres a post from that thread
I had two 504 errors within a few months of getting the bike, got the firmware update back in April and luckily none since. There's still that nagging doubt in the back of my mind though that it could happen again. It's proper shit that they can brick the bike, I have an email somewhere from Bosch where they said they were aware of some untampered bikes throwing up false positives.
ask if he still has the email :p

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
for the record my bike has never given me problems at all in one year of ownership.

I think it's rare for people to have issues, but when they do happen and I see posts like these I don't have much faith in Bosch tbh.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles