Does anyone have mono-link set to the high position on their rail?

GrantMeThePower

Feb 1, 2021
USA
Just curious...I did a search on the forum and it seems that everyone who mentions monolink seems to put it at low. It makes sense since the rail already climbs like a billy goat, but I was curious all the same :)

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Running mine in high to reduce the amount of pedal strikes in technical terrain. Have never felt that 64.9 wasn't slack enough even on the steepest terrain.

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
Just curious...I did a search on the forum and it seems that everyone who mentions monolink seems to put it at low. It makes sense since the rail already climbs like a billy goat, but I was curious all the same :)
Mine came in low, switched it to high and left it alone. I’m not technical enough to really notice the difference. Sorry.

baydoh

Dec 22, 2020
Australia
I started in low, went to high, then back to low. I did notice the difference when going down steep tech terrain, i think,(Maybe it was in my head haha) anyway i put it back in the low and have left it. So in summary I've got no idea what is better haha

Don_Singer

Jun 15, 2020
Peoria, AZ USA
I set mine to High to put more weight on the front wheel to improve traction while climbing. I found the front wants to rise up on steep technical terrain. Also, to decreased pedal strikes and I put a 170mm conversion in the fork which I don't think changes the geometry that much. Mostly for weight bias while climbing.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
I set mine to high after my first ride. I find the bike a bit more nimble and slightly better turn-in. It might be in my head, but I just feel like it handles a bit better.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I set mine to high after my first ride. I find the bike a bit more nimble and slightly better turn-in. It might be in my head, but I just feel like it handles a bit better.
It’s not in your head that’s what exactly what the high position is supposed to do Low position = slacker geometry slower turning but more stable on extreme and steep terrain

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
It’s not in your head that’s what exactly what the high position is supposed to do Low position = slacker geometry slower turning but more stable on extreme and steep terrain

I remember reading that originally and that's why I did it. Just really can't remember how much of a difference I actually noticed, but I seem to recall noticing it!

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
I’ve ridden both high and low. The higher position is pretty essential for the trails I ride on. The overall experience is much better for me.

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Too slack and floppy for me in low, prefer high. I'll probably switch to low for the likes of BPW but normal trail riding, high.

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
I did the first two trail rides in low, but I switched to high to raise the bottom bracket.

I thought I was in high and finally woke up and looked at the position of the link, it was lowo_O.
Now I've put it in high - noticed - easier to do switchbacks, 60% fewer pedal strikes, handles a bit better on trails, climbs better too.
Con = a bit less playful when pointed downhill, it was more willing to loft the front wheel and stay up in low.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I thought I was in high and finally woke up and looked at the position of the link, it was lowo_O.
Now I've put it in high - noticed - easier to do switchbacks, 60% fewer pedal strikes, handles a bit better on trails, climbs better too.
Con = a bit less playful when pointed downhill, it was more willing to loft the front wheel and stay up in low.
I did the same thing , guy in the shop when I bought mentioned it could be set in low , so I presumed it was set high as standard and didn’t really check .

baydoh

Dec 22, 2020
Australia
I started at low then went to high, back to low. Now I'm back to high again. I think I'll stay high. As mentioned above, less pedal strikes and it seems to handle better for trail riding. If i was doing very steep trails I'd put it in low.

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
My Rail 9.7 was delivered in Low and this is how it's stayed up until now. I just switched to High but have not spent any time on it yet in this position. My initial pedal strikes were just slightly annoying. However, now that I'm riding the bike a bit harder, I have experienced pedal drag through rolling terrain even with my feet positioned at 3 & 9 (no excessive sag amount for my setup but I did move to a 60mm stroke shock). Also, I felt the wheel flop was a bit much so I'm hoping that will be slightly reduced now too.

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
Running high because I've mulleted the bike.
Whats the real advantage of running a mullet setup? Ive never ridden one, nor would I need to as Im no pro or even expert. But looking at my build you wouldnt know that. Ihave a habit of making really good much beter much better means($$$$) no wife no kids so I build rad shiite

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Technically, the geometry isn’t the same…

The head and seat angles will be slacker, the BB is lower and the reach is shorter.

Running the Minolink in high doesn’t fully compensate for the drop in wheel size.

IMO, mullet is nicer through the turns but looses out on the climbs; if you’re one of those freaks who likes climbing up WC DH courses you won’t like it. I found running 27.5 at both ends was better than Mullet; it brings all the geo except BB height back to stock so it climbs like the stock bike but corners better. Pedal strikes can be a bit of an issue until you get used to it though.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Technically, the geometry isn’t the same…

The head and seat angles will be slacker, the BB is lower and the reach is shorter.

Running the Minolink in high doesn’t fully compensate for the drop in wheel size.

IMO, mullet is nicer through the turns but looses out on the climbs; if you’re one of those freaks who likes climbing up WC DH courses you won’t like it. I found running 27.5 at both ends was better than Mullet; it brings all the geo except BB height back to stock so it climbs like the stock bike but corners better. Pedal strikes can be a bit of an issue until you get used to it though.
Gotta ask what bike you'd go for now in hindsight since the 29 rail is not for you? For me the Merida looks good.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I honestly don’t know, something designed to be a Mullet I suspect, but I wouldn’t say the Rail is not good for me. In any guise it’s way more capable than I’ll ever be. I was bored and had most of the parts required already so just got fiddling.

I thought the Decoy was going to be my next bike but I didn’t like the Shimano motor. Felt gutless after the Bosch.

The Whyte E180RS V1 was going to be my next bike before the boss saw the price…

The latest Levo looks good, but come on, seriously? £13k for a bicycle???

The Ken SL is a thing of beauty but is massively overpriced and underpowered for the riding I do.

The Siryon was hugely appealing but still doesn’t actually exist yet and Forestal is making YT look efficient.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’ve got to drop the bars on the mullet spec and see if that fixes the understeer. It definitely rolls over obstacles better on the 29er front so it’s worth experimenting to see if I can fix the problem.

I’ve been pondering a longer shock to get the geo back to stock but that’s an avenue I can’t afford to explore. Offset bushes aren’t designed to be used that way round so a couple of big clumsy hits could see the rear offset the wrong way…

Black8917

Jun 17, 2021
PNW
I run a trail 9.8 2021 in high with a 180 front fork. I ride PNW downhill chuck and it works great.
Going to try a mullet setup soon.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles