• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Do you need wife's permission?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Many of us have partners who would like to spend time with us or we have other family obligations when we would like to go for a ride (optimal conditionals - "Hey... its NOT raining!"). I often struggle with scheduling in a ride when it would be the best time for me. It always seems like I need to stick to the policy of "Happy wife, happy life" or deal with the fall out.
How do you guys do it?
Signed,
Recently Divorced.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Hehehhe, there is also the the advance warning technique.

"I'm thinking about buying a new bike later in the year"..... I get a bit of angst, but not much because I havent done anything yet. By the time the bike purchasing goes ahead the missis has had enough time to process the idea and go through all the phases of loss and morning for that money that could have been used to buy jackets and shoes.

I usually couple that with the baffle them with complexity technique.

"before i buy the new bike, ill swap the shocks on that bike, put them on that one, then i can sell that part for more than that, but i'll have to buy a cheaper shock for that bike, don't worry this shock is work $1000 more so when i sell that bike and this and that and that over there and and and" I wait for the eyes to glaze and she shakes her head an mutters something as she walks off and boom. New bike strategy in play.
I just say I'm going to buy something and she just says that it's your money so buy what you want. Not complicated. 😏

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
I've been married for too long
We have a great relationship
She detests cycling because as a youngster that was her only form of getting about
Her week concises of aerobics, she's a Black belt Karate and beleave it she helps out weighing Folkes at a slimming world club
I love my bikes have done since a kid
Now as you lot know, if you had a bottomless pit of money it would be wonderful
It's only money, he says I buy what I want and when I need it which is basically every week
Then if she's unhappy I just get the s**t kicked out of me
Got used to the pain now.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I just say I'm going to buy something and she just says that it's your money so buy what you want. Not complicated. 😏
Every woman has a bit of crazy. Mine is that she's as tight as a sharks bum at 40 fathoms. How tight is that? water tight!

So matters of money are interrogated.

I'm sure yours will have a crazy in another area.
If not, you better check for an adams apple. She might be a dude!

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Every woman has a bit of crazy. Mine is that she's as tight as a sharks bum at 40 fathoms. How tight is that? water tight!

Show her this and got a slap
Rather buy mtb stuff and take take some punishment

Reactions: A22

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

No issues, not a dude, medical postgrad, got attitude, makes her own money and does with it what she wishes, my best friend. If she interrogated me about what I spend my money on she'd get marching orders. And vice versa I'm sure.

A22

Oct 20, 2023
New Zealand
My partner and I have a young child, so any activity from either of us requires planning and coordination. We have a family calendar, and talk to each other like mature human beings.

Time and opportunity is limited, but that's to be expected and having a family was my choice. It's not a question of asking permission, simply that my decisions have a direct effect on 2 other people and therefore need prior discussion.
I’m in the same boat with 3 kids under 7. I don’t need my wife’s permission to buy a bike or go for a ride but I have enough respect for her that I’ll check off its ok since the kids are a handful at the best of times. Like you said, me going for a ride directly affects the rest of the family. It will get easier in a few years but for now I’ve got to think of others first.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles