• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Do I need to change tyre?

Skyraider

Nov 11, 2021
Billingshurst
I've done 650 km on this tyre from new. Does it look like it needs to be changed? It's a Maxxis DHR 2.

If yes, any recommendations for a good UK winter tyre? Lots of loam and mud where I am.
20220929_135059.jpg

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
I swap out Minion DHR2s when the side knobs begin to undercut. The edges on the knobs on your tyre are still relatively square which is what gives you traction. I'd say there's a good bit of life left in your current tyre but I don't ride in really muddy conditions.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The tyre is still fine or hardpack or loam but the DHR11 does not clear mud regardless of its age/condition. It does depend on the type of mud however! Loam turned to muddy puddles is OK..............mud with any clay and/or low levels of sand will clog the tyre...but then you know the conditions in your area. I use both Assegai and DHR11 and in local forests or stoney tracks they are fine summer or winter.........cross a field on an XC type ride in winter or anytime after heavy rain and they become slicks! If dealing with mud is the issue you need a mud tyre which is any tyre with loads of space between the knobs......Magic Mary, Shorty, etc.

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
I've done 650 km on this tyre from new. Does it look like it needs to be changed? It's a Maxxis DHR 2.

If yes, any recommendations for a good UK winter tyre? Lots of loam and mud where I am. View attachment 98215
To me that still looks really good! Do you think I should change mine?😂 I have more than 2700 miles on it. A lot of gravel, but a fair amount in the mountains.

image.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles