• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Buying an EMTB for the wife

michael_bc

Sep 4, 2023
Laax, Switzerland
I'm looking into buying my wife an EMTB and wondering if anyone has any advice.

Background

She's a complete beginner. She has rarely biked in her life. We rented a bike in autumn and rode some gravel mountain roads and she loved it. We live in the Swiss Alps so there's a possibility she might want to try some easy downhill trails later on. For now, it would be gravel roads, albeit with some steep ascents and descents.

We rented a Flyer Uproc 3 4.10 in size small and she loved it. I tried this bike a bit and thought it was a lead brick. I thought it was a horrible piece of junk. That said, a Bosch CX motor (or similar) with ~625 Wh battery seems like a good starting point. This Decathlon hardtail looks quite nice and got me thinking.

I started a couple of years ago with a Focus Thron2 (130mm front and rear). I think this was an ideal starting point considering I did not know what kind of trails I'd end up riding. This bike has delivered in spades - it has been a pleasure on anything from gravel roads to backcountry trails to double black diamond downhill trails. My gut feeling is my wife should start with a similar full-suspension bike and not a hardtail.

Questions
  • Is there such a thing as a women's EMTB vs. men's? Is it relevant?
  • Full suspension or hardtail?
  • 29" or 27.5"?
  • Any other advice?

Solution
I am 5'3 and 115 lbs female rider. I just bought Orbea H15 in small, changed to mullet, got 160mm crankset instead of 165mm since BB height lost about 7mm. I do ride steeps of North Shore in BC so making my bike mullet was something I really wanted. I only have two rides so far but it is working out great for me. Stock dropper post is working well as well for my not so long inseam. Good luck with your search.
PXL_20240105_005900125~3.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The Fuel EXE FS will be for your wife, right? Maybe she will let you ride it when she is "not in the mood" . How much is it? Where are you getting it from? Love the color :love:
New Bike Day👍🏻…next Friday ☹️.

Pulled the trigger today on the Fuel. It’ll be ready next Friday. $8500 CDN with some extras. They’ll install my upgrades (OneUp bar, grips, seat, pedals, Maxxis tires, Filmore air valves, Reverb Dropper.

I’ll install the MT7’s and rotors later. Also moving stuff over to the HT Powerfly.

IMG_7293.jpeg IMG_7296.jpeg IMG_7297.jpeg IMG_7298.jpeg
Medium size, alloy frame, similar geometry to my Rail 9.7

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
New Bike Day👍🏻…next Friday ☹️.

Pulled the trigger today on the Fuel. It’ll be ready next Friday. $8500 CDN with some extras. They’ll install my upgrades (OneUp bar, grips, seat, pedals, Maxxis tires, Filmore air valves, Reverb Dropper.

I’ll install the MT7’s and rotors later. Also moving stuff over to the HT Powerfly.

View attachment 132443 View attachment 132444 View attachment 132445 View attachment 132446
Medium size, alloy frame, similar geometry to my Rail 9.7
Now we are on similar powered bikes, we will have to hit some hot laps on Burke (when the temperature gets above freezing, the snow melts, the rain stops and BEFORE the bugs wake up!). I am very excited for you as there is nothing like a New Bike Day :D

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
100% agree.
I just wish my wife was into bikes.
This thread was supposed to be about a “new bike for my wife” but turned into something else…for me anyway.🥺

My wife doesn’t have the same passion for MTBing as I do, yet she supports me, and we both cherish our time together. Besides our children and grandchildren, her focus is on her career. She’s not the “Bonnie Henry” of BC but rather the hands-on advisor of Public Health for this territory. She’s a very busy girl.
IMG_3745.jpeg

This new bike for me was her idea( even though I lured her into the Trek store in Coquitlam and starred at the Fuel Ex on display for several minutes). “Why don’t you get it?” she said. “No no no dear, it’s almost $10G”. “ But you could give your hardtail to Junior”.

You know how the wheels start turning in your head and thoughts start racing …that happened to me.

This year our rides together will fit around her busy schedule. I’d do anything to make her happy 😊.…cause she always does for me. 🙏

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
This thread was supposed to be about a “new bike for my wife” but turned into something else…for me anyway.🥺

My wife doesn’t have the same passion for MTBing as I do, yet she supports me, and we both cherish our time together. Besides our children and grandchildren, her focus is on her career. She’s not the “Bonnie Henry” of BC but rather the hands-on advisor of Public Health for this territory. She’s a very busy girl.
View attachment 132468
This new bike for me was her idea( even though I lured her into the Trek store in Coquitlam and starred at the Fuel Ex on display for several minutes). “Why don’t you get it?” she said. “No no no dear, it’s almost $10G”. “ But you could give your hardtail to Junior”.

You know how the wheels start turning in your head and thoughts start racing …that happened to me.

This year our rides together will fit around her busy schedule. I’d do anything to make her happy 😊.…cause she always does for me. 🙏
Oh, you lucky boy! She's a keeper! :love:

michael_bc

Sep 4, 2023
Laax, Switzerland
Thanks everyone for the fantastic advice. I didn't imagine getting so many quality responses 🙏

Your responses nudged me to get ± the same bike as I have: I have an Orbea Rise H10 in large, she will be getting an Orbea Rise H20 in small - in mulberry color just like mine.

We found a great deal on a 2023 H20 (45% off). The light weight, the shared accessories, and it just overall being a damned good bike made the decision easy.

She's super excited.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thanks everyone for the fantastic advice. I didn't imagine getting so many quality responses 🙏

Your responses nudged me to get ± the same bike as I have: I have an Orbea Rise H10 in large, she will be getting an Orbea Rise H20 in small - in mulberry color just like mine.

We found a great deal on a 2023 H20 (45% off). The light weight, the shared accessories, and it just overall being a damned good bike made the decision easy.

She's super excited.
Well done!👍🏻
The Orbea Rise would have been in my sights if I didn’t stumble into the LBS (Trek). I’m sure mulberry is somewhere in the colour spectrum but importantly you crossed the $$$ barrier. A little extra for customization is always nice.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

She's super excited.
Wow, that's a stonking deal and for sure will be a very happy laydee.

And the colour was of course the most important factor, just shows that she has good taste. 👍

Last edited:

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
I'm not unhappy that i bought Mrs Weeksy an Ebike and she didn't gell with it as a concept/riding. We spend a lot of time together and MTBing is my 'away' time.... So the fact that i do it without her is fine with me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles