Did Orbea Discontinue the 2021-22 Rise Link?

Swordfished

Apr 11, 2023
Atlantic Canada
Like many of you, I've had to monitor my 2022 Orbea Rise Hydro's links, as they've gotten creaky a few times during the riding season.

I've just done a complete overhaul of the bike. The linkage axle didn't look amazing. I cleaned it up as best as I could. The connection between the links and the axle is still acceptable, but I'll keep an eye on it. I assume that I'll have to swap it at the end of next season.

Which brings me to my point - it looks like Orbea has discontinued the 2021-22 link and axle. If you go to their spare parts webpage and look for the link or the axle, this is what you'll find :
Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 12.45.00 PM.png
And if you click on the document that is linked next to the picture, you get to a blue paper / technical document about the 2023 Rise Carbon link, and the doc states that the new link is compatible with the following bikes :
Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 12.49.45 PM.png

I wasn't aware that the new link was compatible with the 2021-22 bikes. It's good news, especially if it solves the known issue with the creeping links.

But two points come to mind :
1 - The 2023 Carbon link is nice and all, but it's not free. It looks like it's close to a 500$ CAD investment to move over to the newer link (likely around 300-350$ USD?). Has anyone jumped to the new link yet? Has it solved the creeping link issue?

2 - The Cascade Components kit is based on the 2021-22 link axle. What happens if you feel the need to swap your old link axle, say before you jump over to the Cascade link? It kind of seems like Orbea has closed that door if they've discontinued their old link... Will Cascade make an axle to go with their kit? Or is their preload kit so good that it makes this question moot?

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
It does look like they discontinued the axle. I was trying to order a new one for my Cascade install and realized I couldn't order one. I had super creaky linkage until i used the retaining compound on it. I cleaned the old axle as best as I could and one ride in, it was whisper quiet. We shall see if that remains considering the old axle was worn.

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
Or is their preload kit so good that it makes this question moot?
I've run the CC link since its release (with preload kit), its been as advertised, no movement or noises. I've pulled it apart once to check the bearings and was super happy with how easy it came apart and went back together. I'd go the CC links over the new 2023 orbea one.

Swordfished

Apr 11, 2023
Atlantic Canada
It does look like they discontinued the axle. I was trying to order a new one for my Cascade install and realized I couldn't order one. I had super creaky linkage until i used the retaining compound on it. I cleaned the old axle as best as I could and one ride in, it was whisper quiet. We shall see if that remains considering the old axle was worn.
Are you still using retaining compound now that you've moved on to the Cascade Components link?

If you plead your case a bit you'll get it free under warranty :)
Ha! I never think about these things...! :LOL:

Were you successful in getting a 2023 link under warranty? Or did you get a 2021-22 replacement axle?

I've run the CC link since its release (with preload kit), its been as advertised, no movement or noises. I've pulled it apart once to check the bearings and was super happy with how easy it came apart and went back together. I'd go the CC links over the new 2023 orbea one.
Good to hear that you've had a positive experience with the CC link.

How did your axle look before you went ahead and swapped the link?

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Were you successful in getting a 2023 link under warranty? Or did you get a 2021-22 replacement axle?
I just need to drop mine into my LBS next time i go to town, they need to take pics and then sort with Orbea. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine though. I'll then throw in the new one.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
The Stock Main Pivot axle on my Rise had more wear on it in 2 years than the main Pivot axle on my Rallon that I've had for 7 years and 4 times the mileage

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles