Rise crank arm length which did you choose

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Evening everyone

just wondered with many of us replacing our crank arms

which length did people choose

I think stock is 170mm just wondered if you kept to stock length or change for shorter ones

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I went with 160's, keeps cadence a bit higher, and less worry about pedal strikes if you ride a ton of really rocky terrain which is what I ride. I wouldn't recommend it if you ride more flowy or flatter terrain as you do lose leverage and top end speed.

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
170 in XL. I did try the 165 but it felt weird and underpowered. Correct shock adjustment is crucial for pedal strike elimination. I had this screwed up before and thus experimented with shorter cranks.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I tried a set of 175 mm ones I really like the feel of them as I do quite a lot of flat fast riding

i’m just worried that increasing the length will increase Pedel strikes but they did feel nice they haven’t got crank boots on the end like the E 13 ones so I guess they probably aren’t much difference in size from the E 13 170 mm with boot protectors compare to the Shimano 175 mm without boot protectors
Pretty sure they wouldn’t be far off the same length

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
165mm works for me.

Interestingly, when I switched from 170 to 165, I immediately felt the difference in my center of balance on the bike while standing up on the pedals. This unbalanced feeling went away after a few rides. I also had to adjust my dropper post height. You wouldn't think a few mm would make a feel-able difference. My pedal strikes went down and I also noticed I had a bit more power on very steep, punchy climbs, climbs which I had difficulty cleaning before the switch to shorter crank arms. Could be the ability to spin a faster cadence with the shorter arms. On the other hand, it could just be all in my mind, it has a mind of it's own. Makes me now wonder if 160mm crank arms would have been mo better.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Seb Stott did an article about how crank arm length doesn't make a great difference to power. I think I notice a slight drop in leverage at low rpm, but the reduction in crank/pedal strikes makes up for that.

160 felt weird for about 10 minutes, then I got used to it. I'm not upset I wound up with them.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Seb Stott did an article about how crank arm length doesn't make a great difference to power. I think I notice a slight drop in leverage at low rpm, but the reduction in crank/pedal strikes makes up for that.

160 felt weird for about 10 minutes, then I got used to it. I'm not upset I wound up with them.
Definitely the benefits on trail out weigh the only negative i found. On the flat road ride back to my truck these last 2 weekends, top speed was 27mph w/ stock 170's, 20mph w/ 160's. The benefits in all the technical riding that I do is def more important as this last ride had 1 vs. a dozen the week prior...~23miles each ride.

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
Been happy with the 170mm XTs on my XL Rise. Coming from 175s on my non e-bikes, I cant tell any difference.

I would like to try 160s at some point, but I de-assist my trail mode a bit to keep up the heart rate, and appreciate the standard feeling of leverage on the steep fire road climbs that are common in my area. I think I'd have to increase assist a bit with 160s.

ReXTless

Mar 17, 2022
US
Definitely the benefits on trail out weigh the only negative i found. On the flat road ride back to my truck these last 2 weekends, top speed was 27mph w/ stock 170's, 20mph w/ 160's. The benefits in all the technical riding that I do is def more important as this last ride had 1 vs. a dozen the week prior...~23miles each ride.

10mm in crank arm length is certainly not the reason for 20 mph vs 27 mph.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
165 since leverage doesn't matter as much and a couple extra mm of clearance through the rocks and roots is always good to have.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles