Levo Gen 2 Developed a “Squeak”. Crank area when pedalling. Levo2019. Any help?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
The squeak is intermittent but it’s getting louder and more frequent. Usually srptart after about 10-15mins of pedalling.
anyone heard of this symptom before? it’s becoming annoying.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
The squeak is intermittent but it’s getting louder and more frequent. Usually srptart after about 10-15mins of pedalling.
anyone heard of this symptom before? it’s becoming annoying.
So many possibilities for noises, more so on an ebike. Yesterday I heard a faint but annoying squeak while cycling the suspension in my garage. It was the brake line sheath rubbing against the motor mount bolt head where the line exits the motor cover. Some silicone spray took care of it for now.

Yours is probably louder and could be anything, maybe not even ebike specific. Post a video.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Definitely not a creak, and definitely from crank drive side. Today it was louder and even more frequent. I’ve read it could be a seal rubbing on a bearing? Only happens when pedalling hard. I’ve also locked the suspension and it still does it.
is there a video tutorial anywhere that Shows how to remove drive side crank?

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Just unscrew the bolt, anti clockwise. After a few turns the head of the bolt comes up against what looks like a dust cover, keep turning (it can get quite hard, so I have they bike on the floor stand on opposite side to crank, lean over and press down on crank arm and Allan key) and the crank will be extracted. Once it is off, clean everything with a dry cloth and turn the crank and, if the noise you had has gone, you just had some dirt in there. If it hasn't sorted it, and even if it has, it may be worth doing same to other side. Grease splines and reassemble. Torque setting is higher than I can manage so just as tight as you can.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Just unscrew the bolt, anti clockwise. After a few turns the head of the bolt comes up against what looks like a dust cover, keep turning (it can get quite hard, so I have they bike on the floor stand on opposite side to crank, lean over and press down on crank arm and Allan key) and the crank will be extracted. Once it is off, clean everything with a dry cloth and turn the crank and, if the noise you had has gone, you just had some dirt in there. If it hasn't sorted it, and even if it has, it may be worth doing same to other side. Grease splines and reassemble. Torque setting is higher than I can manage so just as tight as you can.
Thanks man. That’s what I needed to hear. I’ve been a bit timid about removing the crank as there is initially about half a turn of the ‘dust cover bolt’ and then it becomes really hard to turn. i assume at this point I need a good amount of leverage to undo the 50nm torqued nut. i will clean and grease and go from there.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Now I’m confused ? Do I need to remove that first?
Just to clarify, that “dust cover” is simply a cap to give the main bolt head something to back up against and jack the arm off the spindle as you unscrew it. If you remove the cap first the main bolt will unscrew completely and the arm will still be attached.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Just to clarify, that “dust cover” is simply a cap to give the main bolt head something to back up against and jack the arm off the spindle as you unscrew it. If you remove the cap first the main bolt will unscrew completely and the arm will still be attached.
Thanks for your help. I managed to get the arm off, re-greased and back on again.i haven’t had a chance to see if this has fix the squeak as I need to take the bike out to see and ain’t had a chance yet. I’m doubtful It’s the fix , though at least I can now venture deeper into the guts knowing how to remove the cranks.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Thanks for your help. I managed to get the arm off, re-greased and back on again.i haven’t had a chance to see if this has fix the squeak as I need to take the bike out to see and ain’t had a chance yet. I’m doubtful It’s the fix , though at least I can now venture deeper into the guts knowing how to remove the cranks.
Great! Yes, even if it didn’t stop the squeak it’s good to know how it works. Wished I mentioned this earlier but once the arm is off remove the 4 screws to pop the plastic motor shroud off, at least on the non-drive side (the motor is still a sealed unit behind the shroud). You can then clean out debris and inspect wiring, cables, etc.

If you ever need to pull the dropper post I believe this gives access to a loop of cable. Per a diagram I saw it doesn’t make a simple right angle turn up the seat tube like on most bikes so you need to fiddle with that loop.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Great! Yes, even if it didn’t stop the squeak it’s good to know how it works. Wished I mentioned this earlier but once the arm is off remove the 4 screws to pop the plastic motor shroud off, at least on the non-drive side (the motor is still a sealed unit behind the shroud). You can then clean out debris and inspect wiring, cables, etc.

If you ever need to pull the dropper post I believe this gives access to a loop of cable. Per a diagram I saw it doesn’t make a simple right angle turn up the seat tube like on most bikes so you need to fiddle with that loop.
I’ll definitely be removing the non drive arm and cleaning out asap. I‘ve had the bike about 10 months so I bet the gunk has built up under there.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Rear Axle bolt one time for me.

Also, the Chain Ring screws can come loose or are not all at the same torque setting can cause creaking. Mine got really bad..Remove and regrease fixed it for me..

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Rear Axle bolt one time for me.

Also, the Chain Ring screws can come loose or are not all at the same torque setting can cause creaking. Mine got really bad..Remove and regrease fixed it for me..
I will check all today. I did have in mind to clean and lube the rear axle. ?

GEE ARR

Oct 29, 2018
MIDLANDS
Mine was one of the little clips that hold the rear brake hose to the frame. The little bolt was loose and it was creaking with the smallest amount of travel.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Mine was one of the little clips that hold the rear brake hose to the frame. The little bolt was loose and it was creaking with the smallest amount of travel.
Flip, I best check all the nuts n bolts on the bike. Lol
cheers. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles