Grinding when pedalling backwards

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
There is no Brose kit to solve this problem, the Brose motor belt kit has a replacement seal that can be used for the right hand crankshaft bearing, but it doesn't help with the water that comes through the left hand crankshaft bearing and crankshaft needle roller bearing.
But, it's here if you want to see it. ROTWILD BROSE BMZ Zahnriemen Ersatz-Kit Velo-Direct.ch

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
So your advise for me with my brand new motor would be to inject silicone grease into the little void on the right side of the crank to help protect the bearing face? Can this be done both sides or is there only a void on the right side {drive side}?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
So your advise for me with my brand new motor would be to inject silicone grease into the little void on the right side of the crank to help protect the bearing face? Can this be done both sides or is there only a void on the right side {drive side}?
No, if you have a brand new motor, it will be fitted with the new seal anyway. If you are expecting to do a lot of very wet riding and bike cleaning, then you may want to remove the chain ring spider and inject some motorex 2000 bike grease down in between the crank shaft and the sprocket drive. And yes, smear some of this grease over the left hand bearing from time to time.
If you are just road riding, I wouldn't bother. Just enjoy your bike. (y)

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
No, if you have a brand new motor, it will be fitted with the new seal anyway. If you are expecting to do a lot of very wet riding and bike cleaning, then you may want to remove the chain ring spider and inject some motorex 2000 bike grease down in between the crank shaft and the sprocket drive. And yes, smear some of this grease over the left hand bearing from time to time.
If you are just road riding, I wouldn't bother. Just enjoy your bike. (y)

I do like a clean bike so I’ll put some grease in the dreaded void. Thanks

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Here is an extract from 2019 Levo workshop manual. It sounds like the design hasn't changed so this would also apply to earlier year models.
Grease inner faces of spider.png

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
A quick update, just had the new motor installed and was wondering what version of software everyone considered the best. The new motor was from nov 2018 my old one was from Mid 2017 there are several casting differences and the new motor has three holes filled in where on the old motor they were covered by a white sticker. The software on the new motor is 5.04 I’m trying to remember if I liked that version or not. Any feedback greatly accepted before I upgrade to the latest.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
A quick update, just had the new motor installed and was wondering what version of software everyone considered the best. The new motor was from nov 2018 my old one was from Mid 2017 there are several casting differences and the new motor has three holes filled in where on the old motor they were covered by a white sticker. The software on the new motor is 5.04 I’m trying to remember if I liked that version or not. Any feedback greatly accepted before I upgrade to the latest.
5.04 is the latest
I gained 200w of peak power when I went from 5.0 to 5.04

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
My bike is only putting out 15 amps after the new motor installed. Shop didn’t have any luck forcing update so a specialized rep is meeting me at the shop tomorrow. Specialized all the way with customer support just awesome.

Brett kirwan

Apr 15, 2019
Cf484qu
That surely sounds like the big needle bearing gone south and like other have said, if you still have warranty get it in. If no warranty you can try to to put your bike down on the non drive side and let some thin oil seep down. However if the oil get past the bearing it can destroy other internals. Anyway if no warranty the motor will eventually die no matter what.

Karsten
Hi karsten this exact same noise as started on my 2020 levo today, was it the bearings and what was the solution to fix it please
Thanks brett

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Question? Do you two clean your chains on the bike ?
I lost a motor chain side bearing from what I could see the bearing had rusted from excess degreaser collecting behind the drive side front sprocket. I used the chain turbo cleaner on the bike. I now remove the chain to clean it and so far the second motor has been good. When the noise happened it was noisy when I pedalled backwards.

Brett kirwan

Apr 15, 2019
Cf484qu
I lost a motor chain side bearing from what I could see the bearing had rusted from excess degreaser collecting behind the drive side front sprocket. I used the chain turbo cleaner on the bike. I now remove the chain to clean it and so far the second motor has been good. When the noise happened it was noisy when I pedalled backwards.
I clean the bike and chain with rino gue and wipe the chain with a rag

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles