• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Derestricting bosch smart system

Timothyvvvv

Apr 1, 2023
Belgium
if you see 0km/h as you said then its not from the code, its from weak magnetic field.
I wil try this weekend to boost the magnet hope it works cause I really don’t want to drive 16mph anymore 😅 I will keep you updated . Also thanks for the help it should work I think , it looks like the same magnet as megabobra

05276F4A-0253-4FFF-A7EE-7154B726D5AA.jpeg

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Yarrahapinni, NSW, Australia
After enjoying my Volspeed for nearly 5000kms on my old Bosch powered hardtail, it's almost depressing to be restricted again, after upgrading to a new bike with the smart system. New ride is a Cube stereo hybrid 140, with the 750 battery.

Megabobra, your input and feedback is amazing. It's just overwhelming for a bloke like me, with no electronic experience, let alone coding.

I'm in Australia, near Coffs Harbour, and am wondering if there's any local people to me, who have done the derestricting, with success?

I'd love some help, and would be willing to pay for it, or swap for my time/tools, as I'm a carpenter...

Thanks in advance, and to all the constructive inputs on here.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
After enjoying my Volspeed for nearly 5000kms on my old Bosch powered hardtail, it's almost depressing to be restricted again, after upgrading to a new bike with the smart system. New ride is a Cube stereo hybrid 140, with the 750 battery.

Megabobra, your input and feedback is amazing. It's just overwhelming for a bloke like me, with no electronic experience, let alone coding.

I'm in Australia, near Coffs Harbour, and am wondering if there's any local people to me, who have done the derestricting, with success?

I'd love some help, and would be willing to pay for it, or swap for my time/tools, as I'm a carpenter...

Thanks in advance, and to all the constructive inputs on here.
Do you have the rim magnet? Or swingarm/rotor magnet? If you have the rotor magnet, there are several companies that make derestrictors. The rim magnet is the one that’s difficult to find anyone that makes the derestrictors aside from the few electricians/wizards in here that are making their own.

Jeroenimo

Mar 14, 2023
Belgium
Hi guys

After a little bit of research I placed the magnet at my pedal. this makes the difference that your revolution is smaller and therefore your sensor is wrong. after 20km it still works. but the question now is whether the casting will detect this after a while? anyone experience?
image.jpg

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Do you have the rim magnet? Or swingarm/rotor magnet? If you have the rotor magnet, there are several companies that make derestrictors. The rim magnet is the one that’s difficult to find anyone that makes the derestrictors aside from the few electricians/wizards in here that are making their own.
Yeah, I have the magnet on the rotor...are you referring to the Speedbox 1.0? From earlier comments on this thread, it seems they throw error codes within 1000km...

Can anyone confirm they have had success for an extended period, >1000kms, using a derestrictor error free on a rotor magnet setup...

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Yeah, I have the magnet on the rotor...are you referring to the Speedbox 1.0? From earlier comments on this thread, it seems they throw error codes within 1000km...

Can anyone confirm they have had success for an extended period, >1000kms, using a derestrictor error free on a rotor magnet setup...
Speedbox, SpeedBox 1.0 B.Tuning for Bosch (Smart System) - Package: BOX, Qty: 1 pcs :: SpeedBox Tuning
Speedfun, SpeedFun tuning ebike Furious Evo for Bosch Smart System 2022
eplus, Bosch Smart System – Speed Unlocker
speedi, SPEEDi - E-Bike Speed Limit Increaser by NLS Components
badassbox, Bosch
Peartune, PearTune MSO Tuning e-bike Bosch SMART |Pear Control

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
Hey guys,

Some of you may have bought products from us in the past or seen us post in here over the last few years. We distribute tuning kits for all of the major ebike motors, with warehouses in the UK, Australia and North America.

If you're on the fence about tuning your smart bike or read some negative reviews from other riders...

Fear not, we're here to help!

We're working hard here at ebiketuner HQ to bring you the most reliable tuning kits for the Bosch Smart System.

Given the complexities of the new smart system. We've decided to run our own in-house testing programme for all of major tuning kits.

We'll be testing each product extensively. Testing for several factors, including:
  • Reliability
  • Performance
  • Ease of use
  • Build quality
Once we've tested each product, we'll give them a rating and potentially give them our stamp of approval.

Hopefully this helps some of you that are looking for a more feedback before taking the plunge!

Following the completion of our testing program, we will share a detailed review of each tuning kit. This will help you understand the main differences, benefits & drawbacks of each of the tuning kits we've tested.

If you'd like to be kept up to date, register your interest below and we'll add you to our priority mailing list (no spam, just Bosch Smart updates)

Have a great rest of the week!

George @ ebiketuner

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Hey guys,

Some of you may have bought products from us in the past or seen us post in here over the last few years. We distribute tuning kits for all of the major ebike motors, with warehouses in the UK, Australia and North America.

If you're on the fence about tuning your smart bike or read some negative reviews from other riders...

Fear not, we're here to help!

We're working hard here at ebiketuner HQ to bring you the most reliable tuning kits for the Bosch Smart System.

Given the complexities of the new smart system. We've decided to run our own in-house testing programme for all of major tuning kits.

We'll be testing each product extensively. Testing for several factors, including:
  • Reliability
  • Performance
  • Ease of use
  • Build quality
Once we've tested each product, we'll give them a rating and potentially give them our stamp of approval.

Hopefully this helps some of you that are looking for a more feedback before taking the plunge!

Following the completion of our testing program, we will share a detailed review of each tuning kit. This will help you understand the main differences, benefits & drawbacks of each of the tuning kits we've tested.

If you'd like to be kept up to date, register your interest below and we'll add you to our priority mailing list (no spam, just Bosch Smart updates)

Have a great rest of the week!

George @ ebiketuner
Hello George, I have a couple questions, I’m getting a new 2023 Bosch smart system with the swingarm sensor and rotor magnet. If I get the speedbox 1.0B, can I still use the Bosch flow app? Or is it best not to use it to reduce the chance of error codes? Also, I won’t be using any display, so how do I do the start up and timed cool down procedure?

Last edited:

Uktonyb77

Feb 19, 2023
Uk
Mega’s solution as journaled on this thread works nicely and very inexpensive for a hobbyist to build themselves. When adapted it also works just fine in my disc magnet setup. I do worry however about the inaccuracy of trip distance recorded with the solution especially if you want to have the Bosch flow app also running. There is then a glaring difference in what the bike’s kiox display has recorded in distance traveled to what the flow app journey has recorded. Surely Bosch are not stupid enough to not see this big red flag and take countermeasures. As I understand it most other third party chips for the Bosch smart add the distance back on at end of ride ; I assume this is then so there is no mismatch of data should a user actually allow the flow app to still communicate with the bike and thus reducing the risk of a red flag event potentially. Maybe I’m giving Bosch too much credit but I’m sure I’m not and maybe if not implemented yet it will be on the future.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Mega’s solution as journaled on this thread works nicely and very inexpensive for a hobbyist to build themselves. When adapted it also works just fine in my disc magnet setup. I do worry however about the inaccuracy of trip distance recorded with the solution especially if you want to have the Bosch flow app also running. There is then a glaring difference in what the bike’s kiox display has recorded in distance traveled to what the flow app journey has recorded. Surely Bosch are not stupid enough to not see this big red flag and take countermeasures. As I understand it most other third party chips for the Bosch smart add the distance back on at end of ride ; I assume this is then so there is no mismatch of data should a user actually allow the flow app to still communicate with the bike and thus reducing the risk of a red flag event potentially. Maybe I’m giving Bosch too much credit but I’m sure I’m not and maybe if not implemented yet it will be on the future.
Mega’ s solution is very cool, but beyond my electronics and programming capabilities, so I’d rather just buy a known solution that is proven to work reliably.

Uktonyb77

Feb 19, 2023
Uk
There’s loads available as 3rd party. Yet not too frequent posts across the web about failure’s considering how many people probably run the chips. In my local club in the Uk everyone seems to run either the Peartune 4.0 mso for Bosch smart or the speedbox. We are out as a club every Sunday without fail for the last year or so and often 20 riders turn up and I’d say 50% of them lads are on the Bosch smart equipped bikes running Peartune or speedbox. There hasn’t been an issue with any of their bikes and I’d say we’ve covered around 1200 miles in the last year alone on group rides.

Uktonyb77

Feb 19, 2023
Uk
Yeah don’t claim any are perfect but I think if not abused and fitted properly with di electric grease etc then water ingress is kept to a minimum atleast. Everyone is quick to assume the bike has detected the chip in place etc due to the usual reported error codes when in reality the bike is just reporting a speed sensor error due to the fact that it’s been bypassed into/through a 3rd party chip which has in fact failed. Most probably because cheap parts are being used resulting in the failure rate.

If the issue was on software level from the 3rd party chip producers then the issue of failure would affect all and not just some.

It’s my believe that poor quality pcb boards are being used and also installation flaws on the end user’s part resulting in the failures.

When you consider mega’s solution on here and the cost to build that solution being less than £30 the 3rd party manufacturers should invest in some better quality pcb boards, connectors and cleanly written English instructions for installation & setup or better quality control in manufacturing.

When mega’s solution fails for me it would only involve I would imagine a new ardinio pcb board and that’s it along with a trip to the bike shop to clear the error code. I’d rather do that than sinking £200 into chip after chip.

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
There’s loads available as 3rd party. Yet not too frequent posts across the web about failure’s considering how many people probably run the chips. In my local club in the Uk everyone seems to run either the Peartune 4.0 mso for Bosch smart or the speedbox. We are out as a club every Sunday without fail for the last year or so and often 20 riders turn up and I’d say 50% of them lads are on the Bosch smart equipped bikes running Peartune or speedbox. There hasn’t been an issue with any of their bikes and I’d say we’ve covered around 1200 miles in the last year alone on group rides.
That's good information Uktonb77, it would be great if people who are actually running these, for long periods, would post their results...

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
Hello George, I have a couple questions, I’m getting a new 2023 Bosch smart system with the swingarm sensor and rotor magnet. If I get the speedbox 1.0B, can I still use the Bosch flow app? Or is it best not to use it to reduce the chance of error codes? Also, I won’t be using any display, so how do I do the start up and timed cool down procedure?
If you're getting the 1.0B then I'd just use the Speedbox app as the data you get on the app is more than sufficient. You can also turn off auto-updates on the flow app to start with to be extra sure that nothing will be updated without your approval.

By doing this, you can allow time for Speedbox and other users to test out the any new software update. When you do decide to update, it's important to remove the chip prior. We believe this is the primary reason for recent anti-tuning errors.

TLDR;

Turn off auto-updates
Use the Speedbox app instead of Flow
Don't update unless the version has been thoroughly tested
If you do update, remove the chip beforehand

Hope this helps!

SadButTrue

Apr 21, 2023
Europe
Hi Xtream,
The resistor is only required if you need to reduce the overall resistance of your wound copper wire. You really need to be able to measure its resistance before use - do you have a means of doing so with a multimeter or similar?

If not, you might find it easier to use the off the shelf magnet I originally linked. I'm still using this in my setup as I just haven't had the time to switch to the copper coil. Once you find the right location and get the magnet to stay there, the commercial electromagnet is fine. Winding your own is just a bit more forgiving with placement given it's flexibility and shorter height.

Quick new schematic attached for the coil.

View attachment 109626
hi @megabobra,

i have really a hard time to find this sensor here in germany. digikey an mouser will deliver it to germany and its available but the delivery costs are not so funny :)

can you suggest a replacement-sensor or can you take a look at two sensors which i think could maybe work?!?

1. CS1-G Magnetic Sensor Reed Switch
2. ABUS Alarm Cable

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
Hi Sad,
I'm sure both will work OK, but I suggest #1. Just watch out for water - not sure if that switch is waterproof? Might be worthwhile to paint over it with some liquid electrical tape?

SadButTrue

Apr 21, 2023
Europe
Hi Sad,
I'm sure both will work OK, but I suggest #1. Just watch out for water - not sure if that switch is waterproof? Might be worthwhile to paint over it with some liquid electrical tape?

hi again,

thx, i'm thinking of sealing it up with some epoxy resin if everything works.

i will post if i have something new to tell :)

Radish

May 3, 2023
Netherland
Hi, new here and just registered to share my experience with chiptuning. I bought the speedfun furious evo easy+. Installed it this weekend and got an error almost instantly after driving. The engine delivered a little bit of power but the speed stayed 0,0 and then got the error. Had contact with speedfun and installed it again so I could send pictures of the installation. Still waiting on a response from them.

I have the performance line cx with smart system en kiox300. And the software is uptodate.

Last edited:

Radish

May 3, 2023
Netherland
Hi, new here and just registered to share my experience with chiptuning. I bought the speedfun furious evo easy+. Installed it this weekend and got an error almost instantly after driving. The engine delivered a little bit of power but the speed stayed 0,0 and then got the error. Had contact with speedfun and installed it again so I could send pictures of the installation. Still waiting on a response from them.

I have the performance line cx with smart system en kiox300. And the software is uptodate.
My issue is fixed. I had contact with the company. They suggested that I check if the pins weren’t bent. 1 pin was bent. I installed it again and it works. Will be posting here if I get errors on the long run.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
My issue is fixed. I had contact with the company. They suggested that I check if the pins weren’t bent. 1 pin was bent. I installed it again and it works. Will be posting here if I get errors on the long run.
Sounds great man! I was considering getting the speedfun, so keep us updated!

Koekie

May 2, 2023
Antwerp, Belgium
Hi, I found this discussion since I'm working on a similar project and this is my first post.
To make the coil I designed a coil holder. It can be printed on a resin printer without supports.
I'm using 100 windings of 0.25 mm copper. I have put a 5 ohm resistor in series with the coil since that only had 5 ohm itself. And a 1 K resistor at the base of the transistor.
Find the holder for the coil here: Coil 25 mm by KoenVdH
A picture of the coil and a picture of the spot that works for my bike. (looks like I have the same bike as Jeroenimo).
IMG_3624.jpeg
IMG_3630.jpeg

Koekie

May 2, 2023
Antwerp, Belgium
For the speed sensor I'm using a Bafang sensor that I had laying around.
It comes with a nice and strong holder that has the option to adapt the distance to the magnet.
Also nice is the LED that indicates the magnet.
sensor.jpg

You can buy those here:
6.81£ 27% OFF|1Pc Elektrische Fiets E Fiets Speed Sensor Voor Bafang BBS01 BBS02 Shd Mid Drive Motor Outdoor Fietsen Accessoires Nieuw|Elektrische Fiets accessoires| - AliExpress
and the cable here:
3.6£ 27% OFF|Bafang Middrive Motor Speed Sensor Verlengkabel Ebike Conversie Draad 40/60Cm 3pin Verlengsnoer Gemodificeerde Accessoires|Elektrische Fiets accessoires| - AliExpress

The sensor has 3 wires, black is ground, red is positive supply and white is the sensor output.
I'm using 3.5V as the supply, but 5V also works.

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
Hi, I found this discussion since I'm working on a similar project and this is my first post.
To make the coil I designed a coil holder. It can be printed on a resin printer without supports.
I'm using 100 windings of 0.25 mm copper. I have put a 5 ohm resistor in series with the coil since that only had 5 ohm itself. And a 1 K resistor at the base of the transistor.
Find the holder for the coil here: Coil 25 mm by KoenVdH
A picture of the coil and a picture of the spot that works for my bike. (looks like I have the same bike as Jeroenimo).
View attachment 113637 View attachment 113638

Hi Koekie, great to see another of these being made. The 3D printed spool is a terrific idea, I think I'll do the same!
Curious why you added the extra 1k resistor to the transistor base leg? Just for the benefit of the arduino's output to limit current when it's firing?

Koekie

May 2, 2023
Antwerp, Belgium
Hi Koekie, great to see another of these being made. The 3D printed spool is a terrific idea, I think I'll do the same!
Curious why you added the extra 1k resistor to the transistor base leg? Just for the benefit of the arduino's output to limit current when it's firing?
I placed the resistor not to overload the transistor base. Probably better in the long run to do that. Maybe smaller resistor values will also do the job. Transistor Base Resistor Calculator

Koekie

May 2, 2023
Antwerp, Belgium
Before I started to write my software I measured how my previous speedchip handled things.

What I discovered is that it adds 160 ms to every wheel turn.

This looks strange but it is a nice way to get good performance at low speeds and go up to 40 km/h.
The effect is like a multiplier of 1 at low speeds and a multiplier of 2 at high speeds.
How that looks like when simulated in excel (input vs output speed):
Schermafbeelding 2023-05-06 om 12.09.48.png

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles