Dengfu E10 - The CHEEB V1.0 - Discussion

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
This thread is for generally discussing "The CHEEB" and the DENGFU E10, opinions, thoughts and so on so as not to clutter the main Cheeb build thread so it's easier for people for find technical information. Technical discussions and build information can be found in the main CHEEB build thread here :

Motor and battery arrived a few weeks ago. Bafang M500, 95nm, 48v system with EU 250w rating. Battery is a 840Wh huge in tube battery.

56AD9CFF-D29D-4929-A60E-011531617D03.jpeg

Frame:
Full Carbon frame set with fairly (by China frame standards) modern geometry.

I ordered the XL, 510mm in reach. HA is 66 degree but I will run bigger fork and mullet, so likely end up around 64.5 ish.

The frame is from Dengfu. They even supply full leverage curve, anti squat, pedal kickback etc graphs and figures! No idea of accuracy, but at least they are included

Frame is called the Dengfu E10 and here is the link. For some reason its labelled as E11 on the charts, but the Dengfu E10 is the actual product.

Ebikes are getting crazy expensive. Many brands are hitting over £10,000 for the high end builds.

A lot of people would like to get into ebiking but the big barrier to entry can be the price.

Can an ebike be built at a reasonable cost? What if you already own a lot of parts and would like to put them towards something new?

Since frame / motor sets are pretty much non existent in the ebike world, this seems like it could be a viable option to build your own decent ebike at a very reasonable price

I want to build a full carbon 170 / 150mm travel ebike for under £4k. I’m also super curious how it’ll perform against the big dogs.

I want to see what the associated risks of doing this are.How long does it take, shipping, warranty, build etc etc.

It’ll have a RockShox Zeb, Super Deluxe ultimate, DT Swiss H1700 wheelset, Shimano 10 speed drivetrain, and yes, it all comes in at less than £4000 for a full carbon ebike with proper components.

Goal is sub 24KG. I think I can do it!

COSTS:

The frame set, battery and motor costs, including U.K. Shipping and duties had a total cost £1,694.44

Current total build cost, even including tyre sealant is £3888.55. This could further be reduced by ‘downgrading’ fork to a Lyrik, the Shock to a Select, and the wheelset to a H1900 set from DT Swiss. With that kind of setup it’ll be around £3400.

You’ll need some shock hardware. The size is as follows

16.5mm x 8mm linkage
32mm x 8mm frame mount

I got mine from @Offset

you can find it here - Shock Bushings | Dengfu E10 Bafang

www.offsetbushings.com
£24

Frame has arrived and so far it seems great. Finish is good quality, cable runs seem decent. Includes headset bearings, seat tube clamp, steerer tube expanding head doctor thing (bit like Hope's version), battery release key, wheel axle, bottom battery cover that can be removed with hex keys (x4 bolts).

DA255C67-D256-409B-A90A-A3558D99C654.jpeg

CHEEB.jpg

1609672923438.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Can you weigh all the components as you go ?

For starters the motor and the battery ? I know these things are often shown on sites, but it doesn't mean they're accurate.

Where does the water bottle go ? :ROFLMAO:

You probably will anyway, but be interesting to see how you get one with all the other little things, like how things fit together, crank compatibility / q-factor for the frame.

Will be quite impressive if you manage to put together a fully abusable 840wh bike at under 24kg's ! (y)

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I completely support the common man buying direct from China and getting the Benefits. I greatly dislike paying high prices for someone else to import China goods. Or just assemble it and put made in America.

good job rob. I hope it makes a good bike and you start a trend that’ll hopefully drive the prices down.

...or add a decal that says "Designed In California" and charge 50% extra!

FlowDough

Nov 11, 2018
North America
Good luck on this project. I'll be surprised if the assembly and build up is quick and efficient, hopefully there won't be too many compatibility issues. Your price estimates are impressive but I'm curious how many hours you will end up investing into it before it's complete.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
1607622935485.png

I'm reading that to mean that frame, motor. crank arms and battery were £1694 all in, is that correct?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Motor and battery arrived a few weeks ago. Bafang M500, 95nm, 48v system with EU 250w rating. Battery is a 840Wh huge in tube battery.

View attachment 46798 View attachment 46799

Why?

Ebikes are getting crazy expensive. Many brands are hitting over £10,000 for the high end builds.

I want to build a full carbon 170 / 150mm travel ebike for under £4k. I’m also super curious how it’ll perform against the big dogs.

I also want to try this Bafang motor as so many people are commenting about these drive units.

I’ll keep this thread updated with build and updates.
I agree about how eMTB pricing has gotten out of hand.

If that new Bafang is even better than their old BBS conversation motor, then you may be in for a treat... because they are dead silent and grunty... and easy on the battery - consistently outlasting my Yamaha system.

I expect the benefits of your lightweight build + a full fat motor to bring in dividends in increased mileage.

So glad you’re doing this build!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
What would have been great to see as well is having it made up with 'quality' Chinese forks & shock to compare & also bring the build cost down.
Yes... X-Fusion from Taiwan make decent forks.

If I’m not mistaken, I believe most (not all) big brand forks are ‘Chinese’ made anyway. ;) ? I use the term loosely to mean Taiwan.

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
Here is the frame. Called the Dengfu E10.

the entire process is pretty drawn out. You have to email them (contact on that page) and that starts the process.

what follows is a rather sketchy feeling process, where you must PayPal a large sum of money to a random PayPal address.

I did a bit of due diligence before I proceeded including a fair amount of research on Dengfu, as well as google-fu on the PayPal ID. It all checked out OK.

As an individual purchase the process, as you may expect, is hardly Bezos style Amazon shopping. But at this price I guess it’s kind of expected.
Cheers is this the email [email protected]

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Here is the frame. Called the Dengfu E10.

the entire process is pretty drawn out. You have to email them (contact on that page) and that starts the process.

what follows is a rather sketchy feeling process, where you must PayPal a large sum of money to a random PayPal address.

I did a bit of due diligence before I proceeded including a fair amount of research on Dengfu, as well as google-fu on the PayPal ID. It all checked out OK.

As an individual purchase the process, as you may expect, is hardly Bezos style Amazon shopping. But at this price I guess it’s kind of expected.
I'm actually surprised that you were able to acquire a Bafang M500 motor on its own. I tried to look into it last year but reached a dead-end. I was under the impression that only manufacturing companies can acquire them.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
The motor is going to be powerful, is there no programming software for it?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Im thinking of a super mullet 29/26 with a kindernay stuffed inside the rear wheel, 4 HP a a twist throttle.

I thought I wanted a Sur-ron as my next toy, but now I think a super-mul based on the bafang would be as fun, and probably alot safer.

Last edited:

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Im thinking of a super mullet 29/26 with a kindernay stuffed inside the rear wheel, 4 HP a a twist throttle.

I thought I wanted a Sur-ron as my next toy, but now I think a super-mul based on the bafang would be as fun, and probably alot safer.
Sur-ron would be super noisy too as it's chain driven, it would turn a lot of heads wherever you took it. I know as I built a similar type bike a couple of years back. Not sure if you've heard of a French outfit called LMX?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Sur-ron would be super noisy too as it's chain driven, it would turn a lot of heads wherever you took it. I know as I built a similar type bike a couple of years back. Not sure if you've heard of a French outfit called LMX?
Noise no problem for me. This thing whatever it might be, would be used only where offroad motorcycles already ride, or on my own place.

I have a class 1 peddle assist for all public riding, but I see in Robs build, the ability to go either way. These custom builds can get pretty close to an SL weight MTB feel, or go full Monty eludacris bafang power DH EMTB / E-moto.?

A sur-Ron would probably just kill me anyway.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Today's build questions :

How is the battery cover held in place ?
How is the battery held in place ?
Is the complete wiring loom pre-installed in the frame ?
I take it the rear brake line runs internally then externally on the bottom side of the rear triangle ? Where does this exit the frame ?
Where does the gear cable run ?
Where does the wheel sensor mount and the cable run ? Is it possible to modify this to a brake disk variety if it's not already ?
The angles make it appear as if there would be almost no limit to dropper post length ?
Are all the bearings factory marked with torque numbers ? (can't tell from the image)
Whats size rear rotor is it setup for without adapters ?
Does it come with any guides/advice for painting/finishing ?
Are there any manual finishing jobs you have to perform to the frame ?
Does the rear axle hole have steel/aluminium/something inserts ?
Does it only come in black ? ;)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles