Dengfu E10 - The CHEEB V1.0 - Discussion

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
Today's build questions :

How is the battery cover held in place ?
How is the battery held in place ?
Is the complete wiring loom pre-installed in the frame ?
I take it the rear brake line runs internally then externally on the bottom side of the rear triangle ? Where does this exit the frame ?
Where does the gear cable run ?
Where does the wheel sensor mount and the cable run ? Is it possible to modify this to a brake disk variety if it's not already ?
The angles make it appear as if there would be almost no limit to dropper post length ?
Are all the bearings factory marked with torque numbers ? (can't tell from the image)
Whats size rear rotor is it setup for without adapters ?
Does it come with any guides/advice for painting/finishing ?
Are there any manual finishing jobs you have to perform to the frame ?
Does the rear axle hole have steel/aluminium/something inserts ?
Does it only come in black ? ;)
back in 2015-16 bought a chinese carbon frame from Shenzhen Ican Sport Co.,Ltd and ok even if it wasn`t an e bike
it was a project i fancied doing at that particular time.( couldn`t afford a carbon bike)
frame was i think T700 carbon raw finish (as the one as the one Rob has bought) with no finishing to do.
frame was very good indeed with all bushings marked and pre torqued, as far as i know the bushings for bottom bracket
were aluminium resined in Kevlar with carbon outer finish and a perfect fit, headset machined with no play. seat tube correct dimension.
cabling went down the downtube exited ports underneath the bottom bracket and went into clips under the chain stays.
all in all i thought it matched up in quality(frame) to the named manufacturers at a fraction of the cost, and i used parts taken from
other bikes (that i owned)
problem arose when coming to sell is that the majority of (as then) mountain bikers sneer at a "Chinese" carbon frame pulling the thing down as it it had the black death, and as i did try to explain that the big manufacturers may have all their carbon frames made not in the country or origin they simply did not want to know. If it doesn`t say specialized,cube,trek and all the other big boys it was simply shit.
so bottom line is yes i would build another, i think the quality is very good (frame what i had) but always bear in mind you won`t get £10,000
to sell it
build it and ride the shit out of it
ended up stripping all the parts of and selling the frame on its own, at probably half the price

WP_20180930_17_49_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20180930_17_50_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20180930_17_51_09_Pro.jpg

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Today's build questions :

How is the battery cover held in place ?
How is the battery held in place ?
Is the complete wiring loom pre-installed in the frame ?
I take it the rear brake line runs internally then externally on the bottom side of the rear triangle ? Where does this exit the frame ?
Where does the gear cable run ?
Where does the wheel sensor mount and the cable run ? Is it possible to modify this to a brake disk variety if it's not already ?
The angles make it appear as if there would be almost no limit to dropper post length ?
Are all the bearings factory marked with torque numbers ? (can't tell from the image)
Whats size rear rotor is it setup for without adapters ?
Does it come with any guides/advice for painting/finishing ?
Are there any manual finishing jobs you have to perform to the frame ?
Does the rear axle hole have steel/aluminium/something inserts ?
Does it only come in black ? ;)

As if Rob hasn't got enough to do... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
@Rob Rides EMTB is it ready yet? ;)
Where's the video? ?
Really interested to see how this turns out.
I have a friend who would love to get into emtbs after having his bike stolen, but doesn't currently have the funds for a decent one, so we might grab the same frame and build it up to get him on the road again.
I know shipping times can change, but how long did it take from payment to delivery?

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
Luna has a new controller about to be released for the m500/600which will allow custom programming, from what I understand the PAS is pretty lousy with the stock motor. It'll also provide much higher power levels if one is interested in such things....

They're going to rebadge that same frame as well, Dengfu has given them exclusive rights in the US apparently.

The X1 Enduro that Luna is selling has a completely different linkage or is Luna coming out with a new eMTB model?

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
Love the idea.... Can`t wait to see the build, I may well try this too... I had a Carbon hardtail 29er, I bought second hand on e bay ( Name I can`t remember, something like ak 247) but it looked and rode well, all internal cable routing etc.... The only thing that has put me off was a friend of a friend had one hanging up in his garage, in two pieces... He say`s you can see the consistancy of carbon is thinner where it broke... These frame were about 8 - 9 years back... I know nearly all top brands make in China and other places in the far east, so hopefully this project will be great...

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The X1 Enduro that Luna is selling has a completely different linkage or is Luna coming out with a new eMTB model?

As far as I can work out Luna use Dengfu for their frames. The frame that I have purchased is the newer version (until recently you could buy the Luna X1 frame direct from Dengfu), so I assume Luna will be using this frame for future builds.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
What's the price difference between the base decoy plus upgrades to get it dialed vs this bike? I wanted to build a Chinese ebike in late 2019 but then the decoy was released and I bought it immediately. I was the first guy to take delivery in the states. Ive been extremely happy with the purchase, but if theres significant savings I can see the appeal of a Chinese build. Like someone said not nearly enough people have don't these experiments. Super stoked to watch Rob do it. Thanks for sharing!

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Assembly an bike by purchasing components separately is not an pertinent economic choice. It always cost more expensive thant purchase an complete bike. It could be interesting if you have a lot of unused component or if you are over standard and you need to change sytematically some parts. Exemple forks for tall guy, cause pivot length is too short on complete bike on market. If the goal is only lower price, it is better to looking for destocking bike

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
What warranty do you get on the frame? What happens when it breaks, do they send you spares or a replacement?
ahhhh the first thing is to contact, but if it takes 10 days when you want to order imagine
how long it will be for a purported warranty return?
then you have to send it back.
then the argument starts.
remember you are not dealing with English law
best price i could get was
package 6kg
90x70x30
£158.20
FED EX
Buy This Service
Don't Need Protection?
£157.90
then you have to wait and wait and wait

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
ahhhh the first thing is to contact, but if it takes 10 days when you want to order imagine
how long it will be for a purported warranty return?
then you have to send it back.
then the argument starts.
remember you are not dealing with English law
best price i could get was
package 6kg
90x70x30
£158.20
FED EX
Buy This Service
Don't Need Protection?
£157.90
then you have to wait and wait and wait
So it not only looks like a Decoy, but much of the warranty procedure is the same ?

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
So it not only looks like a Decoy, but much of the warranty procedure is the same ?
don`t know zimm only had a decoy for duck shooting
my personal opinion is a company from china is not going to send
a replacement without seeing the damaged item, again i would think you
are dealing with Chinese contractual law and not English.
Also these companies on there sites on Alibaba say "purchase (amount) sample"
A sample means a sample or does it?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
don`t know zimm only had a decoy for duck shooting

:ROFLMAO: (y)

my personal opinion is a company from china is not going to send
a replacement without seeing the damaged item, again i would think you
are dealing with Chinese contractual law and not English.
Also these companies on there sites on Alibaba say "purchase (amount) sample"
A sample means a sample or does it?

I agree totally .. There's just been a lot of threads relating to UK Decoy warranty issues (I think most that will be a problem of the past now there's a UK YT Mill) For example :

I just threw it in there as an example that we can all have difficulties even with more mainstream suppliers.

Presumably, we all accept in our minds that there's a good chance with these "direct" and "cheaper" options that there will be risk, fear, issues if things are broken. I don't know enough about dengfu to know if they're after sales is good or bad, but it's going to be slow whatever just due to distances. At the same time, that risk and fear is offset somewhere in our minds with excitement and adventure ! It's different, we're being creative, it's a gamble ?! There will probably be challenges to be overcome. It certainly won't be for everyone !

It's the underdog, which we hope can be a champion ...

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
:ROFLMAO: (y)

I agree totally .. There's just been a lot of threads relating to UK Decoy warranty issues (I think most that will be a problem of the past now there's a UK YT Mill) For example :

I just threw it in there as an example that we can all have difficulties even with more mainstream suppliers.

Presumably, we all accept in our minds that there's a good chance with these "direct" and "cheaper" options that there will be risk, fear, issues if things are broken. I don't know enough about dengfu to know if they're after sales is good or bad, but it's going to be slow whatever just due to distances. At the same time, that risk and fear is offset somewhere in our minds with excitement and adventure ! It's different, we're being creative, it's a gamble ?! There will probably be challenges to be overcome. It certainly won't be for everyone !

It's the underdog, which we hope can be a champion ...
totally agree zimm, i think you have to accept you may have to "right off " the money you have spent
dont know?, rob might have some paperwork with guarantee clauses on it.
i think also if this was a fantastic idea do we not think there would be a UK distributor.(Rob might be an opening here)
just think back a while British people bought land in Spain and built houses.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Looks good to me! Have fun with this! One weak spot on the X1 as an FYI is the upper and lower battery tray mounts. They are plastic and tend to crack. Haven't seen batteries falling out but I strengthened mine with epoxy and cloth (they had cracks) and I now strap the battery in for good measure because I do jump and ride nasty trails. No issues at all since. How is the battery mounting in this frame out curiosity? Thinking they changed it?

luna87824

Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
Some more pics of the frame.

Frame weight including all linkage and battery mounts / key lock etc is 4.2KG

Internal cable routing. All bolt fixings already in place. All looks fairly neat and well thought. Cable tidies already installed in the frame.

View attachment 47026

View attachment 47027

View attachment 47028

View attachment 47029

View attachment 47030

View attachment 47031
For reference my large 2020 Santa Cruz Heckler frame, motor, battery, crank arms, axle, wiring and seat post clamp is 22.8 pounds /
10.34 kg.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles