Decoy Shred

Belleau_414

Oct 21, 2020
Colorado
VERY sharp looking machine! Was fortunate to see a fellow Decoy owner loading his Shread on his bike rack when I picked up my Elite at the Mill. Absolutely love the color scheme! Check out the tool bag I attach to various places on my mtb's. Mini holds one tube and everything else you would need. I use the larger B-rad bag on my Decoy so I can carry 2 different size tubes.

View attachment 45897

View attachment 45898
Appreciate It! Wasn't so sure of the color when I ordered it but I love it in person! On the other side of the bike I have a OneUp EDC pump and tool kit combo that I have mounted to the bottle cage, tucks against the frame very nicely, doesn't rattle or rub anything and has everything I need for me not to wear a pack. Was looking into the Tubolito S Tubo and put it in a thin pouch where I have my current tube, but it won't work for a 27.5 and 29, whereas I can use the 29 tube I carry for any size! I do like the look of a clean pouch instead of just my ugly tube out in the open though. Still some work to do but very happy so far!
IMG_44FE4743986F-1.jpeg

Belleau_414

Oct 21, 2020
Colorado
How is your bike performing? I've not been able to ride mine due to injury....hopefully soon!

Like the tube placement.

Cheers
It has been doing awesome. Have over 100mi on it now with no issues. Had a pretty muddy ride the other day, and after I washed it, I pulled the battery out and was very pleased to see no mud or anything down in the motor area at all! When it first arrived I put some foam around the edge of the battery to help seal the gap between the battery cover and the frame. Hope you're able to ride soon! It's a great bike for sure!

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
It has been doing awesome. Have over 100mi on it now with no issues. Had a pretty muddy ride the other day, and after I washed it, I pulled the battery out and was very pleased to see no mud or anything down in the motor area at all! When it first arrived I put some foam around the edge of the battery to help seal the gap between the battery cover and the frame. Hope you're able to ride soon! It's a great bike for sure!

I noticed you got the XL as well. How tall are you and how much do you weigh? I'm 6'2" @ 240lbs and installed a 600lb spring at FOXs recommendation. My XL came stock with a 450lb spring even though the online specs say it is a 500lb spring.

Cheers

Belleau_414

Oct 21, 2020
Colorado
I noticed you got the XL as well. How tall are you and how much do you weigh? I'm 6'2" @ 240lbs and installed a 600lb spring at FOXs recommendation. My XL came stock with a 450lb spring even though the online specs say it is a 500lb spring.

Cheers
I'm 6'2" @ 170lbs and left the 450lb spring on it. It is at 27% sag and I am very happy with that setup!

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
The shred is one of the bikes I am looking at......wondering If I should wait for a bigger Battery option (I am on a Luna X1 now). If YT comes out with a bigger battery will it fit in this frame? What sort of range do you all get in trail mode etc.?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
The shred is one of the bikes I am looking at......wondering If I should wait for a bigger Battery option (I am on a Luna X1 now). If YT comes out with a bigger battery will it fit in this frame? What sort of range do you all get in trail mode etc.?
I consistently get 30-40 miles/ 4,000-5,000ft of climbing. A lot depends on which mode you are riding in as well as the internal settings for each mode. I use ST Unlocker to customize (Eco=75%, Trail=125% and Boost=300%) for most rides. I change the levels depending on what type of trail I'm riding, distance and elevation as well as how much of a workout I want to get in. So far, never ran out of battery. I have a Specialized Levo S-Works that has 30 different pre-sets and 720mw battery. If the Shred will be your only emtb and you want to get long days in the saddle, may want to wait for bigger battery option.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
I consistently get 30-40 miles/ 4,000-5,000ft of climbing. A lot depends on which mode you are riding in as well as the internal settings for each mode. I use ST Unlocker to customize (Eco=75%, Trail=125% and Boost=300%) for most rides. I change the levels depending on what type of trail I'm riding, distance and elevation as well as how much of a workout I want to get in. So far, never ran out of battery. I have a Specialized Levo S-Works that has 30 different pre-sets and 720mw battery. If the Shred will be your only emtb and you want to get long days in the saddle, may want to wait for bigger battery option.
Good info, thanks!

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
Just ordered a Decoy Shred size Medium. They actually had stock in Canada so based on my discussion with the support guy (Shaun in the US was awesome) it should ship early this week. Super excited. Was going to get a Commencal Meta Power 27, but what was supposed to be a spring delivery is turning out to not be the case by a long shot. Some better parts (fork, dropper) on the Commencal but that can be remedied (with the cost savings too!

All that said, I want to RideWrap the Decoy. For those who have done it, did you go with gloss or matte?

Looking at the pics posted by @Belleau_414 earlier in this thread, that looks like gloss which looks good but wanted to check before I ordered.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Just ordered a Decoy Shred size Medium. They actually had stock in Canada so based on my discussion with the support guy (Shaun in the US was awesome) it should ship early this week. Super excited. Was going to get a Commencal Meta Power 27, but what was supposed to be a spring delivery is turning out to not be the case by a long shot. Some better parts (fork, dropper) on the Commencal but that can be remedied (with the cost savings too!

All that said, I want to RideWrap the Decoy. For those who have done it, did you go with gloss or matte?

Looking at the pics posted by @Belleau_414 earlier in this thread, that looks like gloss which looks good but wanted to check before I ordered.
I have the Decoy Elite and went with gloss. Was able to get a brief look at Shred model when I picked mine up from the mill in San Clemente and finish seemed to be more of a flat finish. I would recommend matte finish for the Shred, gloss version is super shiny.

20201114_142435.jpg

20201114_142515.jpg

20201114_142706.jpg

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Thanks @Singletrackmind . That is kind of what I was thinking. Your ride looks amazing, and I can definitely see the shine. Based on pics from around this site and elsewhere, the paint on the Shred does look more matte as you said. Appreciate the guidance!
You're gonna love your new Decoy! Highly recommend you get ST UNLOCKER app to customize settings if you don't already have it. Hit me up if I can provide any insight. I highly recommend Michelin E-Wild's 2.6 on both wheels with Cushcore in rear for the Decoy. I have 2 emtbs and have tried lots of different components. Happy Trails!

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
You're gonna love your new Decoy! Highly recommend you get ST UNLOCKER app to customize settings if you don't already have it. Hit me up if I can provide any insight. I highly recommend Michelin E-Wild's 2.6 on both wheels with Cushcore in rear for the Decoy. I have 2 emtbs and have tried lots of different components. Happy Trails!
Awesome man thanks. Already have a couple of upgrades waiting on the workbench to install. I have cushcore for both front and rear (no new tires yet so thanks for the suggestion), tubeless sealant, oneup pedals, and a oneup carbon bar, and ergon grips. I loved that carbon bar on my last bike so wanted it for this one from the get go.

Thanks for the suggestion on the ST UNLOCKER. I hadn't stated to look at that but will and will probably hit you up with some questions once I do.

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
Another question on the Decoy Shred. I am thinking about replacing the wheelsets. I put a question into YT, but thought I would check here as well. On the Shred, is anyone able to confirm the following:

Front: 110x15 - I am assuming it is boost? Is that correct?

Rear: 148x12 which should also be boost, right.

Also, on the rear given the cassette(Shimano XT) it says it is supplied with, I am assuming it is a microspline hub cassette, is that correct?

And finally, also assume it is a 6-bolt for both rotors - is that correct as well?

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows the above for the Shred.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Another question on the Decoy Shred. I am thinking about replacing the wheelsets. I put a question into YT, but thought I would check here as well. On the Shred, is anyone able to confirm the following:

Also, on the rear given the cassette(Shimano XT) it says it is supplied with, I am assuming it is a microspline hub cassette, is that correct?

And finally, also assume it is a 6-bolt for both rotors - is that correct as well?

Cassette is microspline and rotors are 6 bolt. Not sure about boost.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA

This article may help.

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
Cassette is microspline and rotors are 6 bolt. Not sure about boost.

Thanks @Singletrackmind . Appreciate you confirming. And thanks for the article in the other post - most of these should be boost nowadays.

I went to the e*13 site (I should have done that in the first place) for the wheelsets supplied - E*Thirteen - and it does in fact say they use boost, which I think most recent bikes use.

Toddy2000

Sep 16, 2021
Australia
Hi just bought one - so happy with it. Pretty scary spending that much on something unseen but no regrets. Got a question re setting up the DHX2 coil. I've set the bike up with correct sag by pre tensioning the coil but if I lift the back wheel the weight of the back of the bike takes the tension totally off the coil. Guessing this is not a good thing so have pre tensioned the coil with the wheel in the air. Am I on the right track?

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Hi just bought one - so happy with it. Pretty scary spending that much on something unseen but no regrets. Got a question re setting up the DHX2 coil. I've set the bike up with correct sag by pre tensioning the coil but if I lift the back wheel the weight of the back of the bike takes the tension totally off the coil. Guessing this is not a good thing so have pre tensioned the coil with the wheel in the air. Am I on the right track?
Yes, as soon as it hits the first bit of tension go one full turn after that

walterfury

Sep 16, 2021
Llanberis

How long did delivery take and what country are you in? I'm in the UK and I ordered mine on August 30th but my order status on the YT website has still not moved from "processing".

Toddy2000

Sep 16, 2021
Australia
How long did delivery take and what country are you in? I'm in the UK and I ordered mine on August 30th but my order status on the YT website has still not moved from "processing".
Australia. Bought through Pushys and was super fast. Fingers crossed you get yours soon

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland

I have a Shred and went with Matt. I think it looks great.

IMG_20211224_163300.jpg

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
So, having now got properly used to this bike, something a bit odd (to my mind) has happened. Despite being 40mm shorter in reach, having less fancy suspension and being almost 10kg heavier, I am within 10% of my best times. What does this mean? Geometry is a lie? Weight doesn't matter? I pretty much go at the top speed my terror will allow, (somewhat) irrespective of what bike I'm on? :unsure:

Properly good fun bike though, which is probably more important in the end.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles