Decoy Shred

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
I broke three toes on my right foot so I'm down for at least a month....sadly no video review from me :(

I'd like to be able to tell you a story that would make you think "damn, that dudes a badd-ass"! Well, guess I still could...they say "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" but alas, here it is. I helped a guy pick up his Vespa scooter after he fell off pulling into a parking lot. I picked the bike up and tried to deploy the center-stand with flip-flops on....folded the three middle toes back...apparently beyond their functional limit. Ouch! On the plus side, doctor gave me some good drugs! But sadly, all I get to do with the new bike is look at it. That and try and stay off the web looking at upgrades!

You all have a great time on your new bikes...with any luck I'll be out there joining you in a month or so.

WC44

Oct 23, 2020
US
AA8253E8-4BE4-44A5-821E-5C88B82B348D.jpeg
12868819-9307-4E03-9DDC-7F0C025DCF15.jpeg
rode the new shred for the first couple of times and noticed this spot above the motor. Texted my buddy who also has one and has an identical spot. Could a wire get hot enough to burn through the carbon? It’s too high up to be foot rub and his bike has the spot in a almost identical pattern.

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Damn! Just had a quick look at mine and its got the exact same mark! I've only had the opportunity to ride mine for approximately 45 minutes and just around town. Hasn't even seen serious dirt yet!!!

WC44

Oct 23, 2020
US
I have and it doesn’t seem like there is really anything in that area. Just thought it was weird my buddies bike had the exact same pattern.

WC44

Oct 23, 2020
US
Yeah that’s my plan to write them tonight. I rode today and couldn’t feel any heat in that area. But it looks like a burn

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
And here's a photo of mine. May be hard to tell from my shitty camera but definitely seeing the start of the same discoloration. Bummed!
20201107_140629.jpg

Belleau_414

Oct 21, 2020
Colorado
I as well have the same discoloration in the same spot. I noticed it when unboxing the bike and thought it was some smeared grease or something and didn't think anything of it until I later cleaned the bike and couldn't get the mark off. Here is a picture of it just put together out of the box, never ridden. Although I believe it had 1 mile on it already out of the box.

DSC06682.JPG

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Haven't pulled my battery yet but theorize it may be getting hot and discoloring the frame???

Wonder if any of the other Decoy owners have the same issue and just can't see or haven't noticed it because of the paint color on their bikes in that area?

WC44

Oct 23, 2020
US
1A677CBC-1454-4A33-974E-CBD9DA8B0FEB.jpeg
I took the battery out and don’t see anything in that area. My guess would be the battery getting really hot but I don’t see any damage on the inside.

avfc_66

Nov 9, 2020
Devon
Yeah that’s my plan to write them tonight. I rode today and couldn’t feel any heat in that area. But it looks like a burn
A Shred is in my shortlist for a new bike, so very keen to hear what YT have to say about this. I wonder if its also happening to other models but due to the darker frame colours it's not been picked up

WC44

Oct 23, 2020
US
A Shred is in my shortlist for a new bike, so very keen to hear what YT have to say about this. I wonder if its also happening to other models but due to the darker frame colours it's not been picked up
To be fair the rest of the bike has been awesome. So smooth with the coil shock. My father in law has the 29er pro in the black color and we could not see the marks on his frame.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would suspect thats just bad paintwork out the factory, never heard of a battery getting hot enough to do that, let alone manifest itself though a frame like that - the motor get a lot hotter than the battery too.

WC44

Oct 23, 2020
US
I would suspect thats just bad paintwork out the factory, never heard of a battery getting hot enough to do that, let alone manifest itself though a frame like that - the motor get a lot hotter than the battery too.
BD127D2D-C0AA-4ADF-8CFD-2C06D72226B3.png
That’s what I originally thought but I found a picture before I ever rode the bike and it’s either not there or got a lot worse

WC44

Oct 23, 2020
US
I was going to say, that the mark is in just the right place to be caused by being rubbed by something while pedalling either shoe, shoe lace or trouser leg.

It doesn't look like a serious issue.
2EC2290F-7A16-4966-A6A8-E29CD8BF2716.jpeg
Hopefully it is just cosmetic I just don’t see how a shoe could cross the crank arm in the front part of a pedal stroke. Also why is it only on the right side. Either way I’m sure the bike will get scratched up as I ride it I just don’t want it to be a sign something is wrong with the bike.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
To my mind battle scars on your bike are just telling the story of the fun you have on it :cool:

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
To my mind battle scars on your bike are just telling the story of the fun you have on it :cool:

Exactly, get out and ride it like its suppose to be abused. I got mine on March 2020, not a Shred but a mullet comp stuck a coil on and after the first frame scratch I stopped worrying. That's with invisi frame kit to. Just enjoy the bike.

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Shoe mark my ass! Not even if we all had the exact same shoe size (and shoes)!

Still hoping it's nothing serious, haven't received a reply from YT yet but not riding it either due to injury.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
When I had a noise on my decoy I spoke to Yt regarding warranty etc as I made a shim for the rear chainstay to cure the noise Yt replied sayin it would not affect the warranty. I’m a happy man as it’s in writing.
I would ask them in the unlucky event of a failure will the warrant cover it. I can’t see any reason for that mark a shoe yes but a few bikes with it in the same spot an look identical? Cover ur arses lads

WC44

Oct 23, 2020
US
YT wrote me back again after checking with the German offices and said it’s from the tires rubbing the frame during shipping. They said it’s strictly cosmetic don’t worry about it.

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
YT wrote me back again after checking with the German offices and said it’s from the tires rubbing the frame during shipping. They said it’s strictly cosmetic don’t worry about it.

Got the same email. Don't remember seeing the marks as I was assembling my bike but could've easily missed it. Big relief!!

Cheers

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
Could it be a mark from the production process of the frame. Looks to me like the frames have been clamped in the same area. Could be talking rubbish mind

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
How is your bike performing? I've not been able to ride mine due to injury....hopefully soon!

Like the tube placement.

Cheers

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Made a little decoy sticker to cover/distract from the rub mark that came from shipping. Happy with how it turned out! Also weighed the bike, Size XL, Carbon bars, Tubeless, and Invisiframed: 54lbs
View attachment 45895 View attachment 45896
VERY sharp looking machine! Was fortunate to see a fellow Decoy owner loading his Shread on his bike rack when I picked up my Elite at the Mill. Absolutely love the color scheme! Check out the tool bag I attach to various places on my mtb's. Mini holds one tube and everything else you would need. I use the larger B-rad bag on my Decoy so I can carry 2 different size tubes.

Screenshot_20201129-161246_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201129-161259_Gallery.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles