Levo Gen 3 Levo gen 3 model choice question

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
I’m going to buy my first ebike, narrowed it down to a S4 gen 3 Levo. I tend to ride up steep fire roads and drop fast singletracks and “game trails”. My current Amish bike is a 2014 Nomad with Push 11/6 and the Push coil in the fork as well. I do like the feel of coil suspension.

With the collective experience on this forum, if you were to choose, which setup Would you go with?… (I only have the budget of about $9000 US)

1- buy the Levo Expert and leave it stock.
OR
2- buy the Levo Comp Carbon and upgrade the rear to a Cascade Long Link with an EXT e-Storia, and install a 170 air sleeve in the Rhythm 36 until I can get a 38 or Zeb
OR
3- buy the Levo Comp Carbon and upgrade to a Push 11/6, leaving the rear travel the same (and keep the warranty of the frame)

I’m 51, about 210pounds kitted and tend to ride aggressive on the DH.

Thanks in advance for any insight

edited to add another option….

Last edited:
Reactions: Cmr

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
I was in the same place as you, I bought a Kenevo expert ($6749) Covid sale…. I bought a Rockshox Domain 29 180mm for trails( $512 Amazon). I run an old 27.5 wheel I had around for the trails with the Domain. I added a 200 mm air shaft for the Boxxer for park days. Both of these changes raises the bb that I think is low on the Kanevo. The Kanevo will take 29er’s on both ends, I am short and the top tube gets a little high with higher 29er’s. With all the options out there for the Kenevo, I have no idea why people would buy a Levo.

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
Interesting. i don’t want to start with a dual crown though, and I‘d like the frame to be designed for a mullet. Also, the adjustments on the Levo seem to give more options. Thanks for your input!
I was in the same place as you, I bought a Kenevo expert ($6749) Covid sale…. I bought a Rockshox Domain 29 180mm for trails( $512 Amazon). I run an old 27.5 wheel I had around for the trails with the Domain. I added a 200 mm air shaft for the Boxxer for park days. Both of these changes raises the bb that I think is low on the Kanevo. The Kanevo will take 29er’s on both ends, I am short and the top tube gets a little high with higher 29er’s. With all the options out there for the Kenevo, I have no idea why people would buy a Lev

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I went with the Expert for 7800, because I like the black/ silver color better. Another thing to keep in mind is where as the Experts stock wheels/hubs are okay, the Comp stock wheels are that much worse.

I normally like to upgrade and my last 3 Amish bikes have had carbon wheels, but I'm okay with almost everything as stock on the Expert. I upgraded when new to a 210mm Oneup dropper, Oneup bars, X01 cassette, XX1 AXS, chain and an I9 stem which I already had. Kinda/almost stock, but not really. I guess the main expenses, suspension and wheels, I'm happy with.

At the first site of the wheels needing trueing or any damage, I think WA1 carbon wheels will be purchased.

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
Yeah, the wheels will be kind of low end. Eventually I’d replace with carbon wheels. I have Saint brakes ready to go, a bar and stem, seat. I’m thinking of sticking with the Comp model, upgrade the rear suspension, install a Marzocchi Coil in the fork, then upgrade as funds allow. Thanks for your input!

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Yeah, the wheels will be kind of low end. Eventually I’d replace with carbon wheels. I have Saint brakes ready to go, a bar and stem, seat. I’m thinking of sticking with the Comp model, upgrade the rear suspension, install a Marzocchi Coil in the fork, then upgrade as funds allow. Thanks for your input!
Sure. I also installed Shimano XT8120. brakes. Can’t beat the sale prices, that’s for sure!

PDXRooster

Nov 4, 2022
Portland, OR
Skip carbon all together and get the Comp Alloy, Cascade LT with EXT e-storia, grab a used pre-2023 Zeb and throw a Vorsprung Smashpot conversion in it. Upgrade Brakes and wheels and you have a sled for all occasions.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Interesting. i don’t want to start with a dual crown though, and I‘d like the frame to be designed for a mullet. Also, the adjustments on the Levo seem to give more options. Thanks for your input!
May I suggest you try it first. I ride in the northeast United States and most of the trails are very natural with tight sharp switch backs. The Boxxer is not the best fork for those trails but look at the trails you be using. If you get a chance, search the Kenevo on YouTube. There is a channel Ottersports where a guy tried every wheel size on the Kenevo ( yes even a 26er) . He called the Kenevo a cockroach that can adapt to anything. That’s how I look at the bike, want a park bike? Done, want an all day single track bike? Done, want a extreme tech bike, done again. IMO the Levo is a good trail and that’s about it.

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
Thanks for your thoughts. One of my daily bikes is a 2007 Foes Fly with dual crown forks, the other a Gen 3 Nomad. I’m looking for something in the 150-165 rear, 160-170 front. No doubt the Kenevo will be a beast, but I’m looking for less. I’m going to test ride one anyway, who know, I may be pleasantly surprised!

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I went in to buy a Levo Comp and was going to upgrade suspension, etc.. But walked out with the Expert.

Mostly for two reasons:
1. Warrentee this is a fair bit of money, and I figure the less I mess with the bike, the more likely there are no questions asked if I run into an issue.
2. Time - The expert is ready to go - If I'm waiting on suspension, parts, etc that is less time riding and riding season is here.

It doesn't mean I will not modify later .. I very likely could see doing AXS over the winter but I'm happy I went expert rather then building.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I went in to buy a Levo Comp and was going to upgrade suspension, etc.. But walked out with the Expert.

Mostly for two reasons:
1. Warrentee this is a fair bit of money, and I figure the less I mess with the bike, the more likely there are no questions asked if I run into an issue.
2. Time - The expert is ready to go - If I'm waiting on suspension, parts, etc that is less time riding and riding season is here.

It doesn't mean I will not modify later .. I very likely could see doing AXS over the winter but I'm happy I went expert rather than building.
The expert is a great all around package ready to ride. I think the comp carbon is the best option if you plan to immediately upgrade everything.

I think you made the right call, enjoy it and congrats!

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
I went with the Expert as well for the XO1 bits, the 38 Performance Elite and the Roval Traverse alloy wheels. They did cheap out on the cassette though - Eagle 1275 GX.

Only $250 USD more than the comp's sale price, though I did work a deal for $7900. Hard to pass up considering it was an $11000 bike.

I am pleasantly surprised with this wheelset. They feel great, just stiff enough. Taking a beating and staying true. Hub has the DT S ratchet system, threw my 54 tooth ratchets in no problem.

Manic seatpost is ok, kinda cheap feeling, but swapped it to my SJ and installed my BY Revive.

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
I get that sentiment. As Much as I want a 170/165 Levo, I think going for the stock Expert is the way to go. Upgrade the fork with a smashpot eventually and then the rear at some point. I’m renting an expert from a local shop next week to test on the trails I ride.

I went with the Expert as well for the XO1 bits, the 38 Performance Elite and the Roval Traverse alloy wheels. They did cheap out on the cassette though - Eagle 1275 GX.

Only $250 USD more than the comp's sale price, though I did work a deal for $7900. Hard to pass up considering it was an $11000 bike.

I am pleasantly surprised with this wheelset. They feel great, just stiff enough. Taking a beating and staying true. Hub has the DT S ratchet system, threw my 54 tooth ratchets in no problem.

Manic seatpost is ok, kinda cheap feeling, but swapped it to my SJ and installed my BY Revive.
How did the dropper post install go? I tried and the cable housing felt like it was stuck.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Alloy comp, carbon totally unnecessary on ebike. Stock suspension is actually pretty damn good.. was surprised how good fox rhythm is.. the float x as well.

go ride it for at least 200 miles before upgrading things.. see what you need and establish baseline. If you start changing travel and geo without ever riding it stock for a while you will have no idea of what you did was actually better than factory.

modern stuff is so good even mid tier stuff won’t slow you down much

Jimmy22

Dec 25, 2021
Calgary
I’m similar weight and do similar types of riding to you. A few years ago I started with a L gen 2 levo, last year I upgraded to an s4 gen 3 comp carbon and upgraded suspension to a fox 38 and x2. Even fully slacked out I found the gen 3 to be too squirrelly for fast, rough dh runs. This year I bought a kenevo expert and converted it to a 29er (see rob rides video). For the type of riding I do, the Kenevo 29er is a significant upgrade to the gen 3 Levo, highly recommend you check it out.

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
Seamarsh, good points, but I like the mastermind TCU and it’s on the carbon frame version. I also want the carbon frame as they tend to outlast aluminum frames in my experience. Personal preference you could call it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

This afternoon, I’m picking up a Levo Expert rental for the next 3 days, so I hope to get a feel for the stock suspension and stock setup. The last air forks/shock I used was from 2014 and it was not to my liking. I’d imagine there have been some many improvements since then!

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
I’m similar weight and do similar types of riding to you. A few years ago I started with a L gen 2 levo, last year I upgraded to an s4 gen 3 comp carbon and upgraded suspension to a fox 38 and x2. Even fully slacked out I found the gen 3 to be too squirrelly for fast, rough dh runs. This year I bought a kenevo expert and converted it to a 29er (see rob rides video). For the type of riding I do, the Kenevo 29er is a significant upgrade to the gen 3 Levo, highly recommend you check it out.
I have a Levo for the next three days, so I’ll discover the capabilities of it. I watched Rob’s video a couple times, definitely got me thinking….

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
How did the dropper post install go? I tried and the cable housing felt like it was stuck.
It definitely took some 'force' for lack of a better term. I did loosen the housing port bolt on the head tube a couple of turns. Also, the water bottle cage bolts thread into a housing guide for the dropper inside the frame. Loosened those a bit as well. You can see where that is if you remove the battery.

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
Seamarsh, good points, but I like the mastermind TCU and it’s on the carbon frame version. I also want the carbon frame as they tend to outlast aluminum frames in my experience. Personal preference you could call it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

This afternoon, I’m picking up a Levo Expert rental for the next 3 days, so I hope to get a feel for the stock suspension and stock setup. The last air forks/shock I used was from 2014 and it was not to my liking. I’d imagine there have been some many improvements since then!
The 38 is impressive.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I have a Levo for the next three days, so I’ll discover the capabilities of it. I watched Rob’s video a couple times, definitely got me thinking….
Yep I'll second that, it's a great trail bike but even though numbers are slack I found it very twitchy in gnar. Mullet with super short stay has a lot to do with this.

I'm running flip chips slack/low with minus headset and a 170 zeb.. feels great now and corners better than my outgoing yt decoy 29.

I think mullets take some adjustment and for smashing harder trails im not sold, but man so they make the bike feel light!

When I first rode it stock it was definitely more trail bike and took some getting used to.

Im over in west Marin fwiw. So simi similar terrain.

Master mind is a cool feature, I use a garmin but I'm also cheap! So alloy comp for 5500 was easy choice. I personally Can't tell a difference in alloy to carbon but your points make sense.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I got the bog standard Turbo Levo Alloy with the Rockshox Silver 35, as I had a ‘spare’ Zeb and DXO shock to fit for it.

The stock Silver was surprisingly good actually, for my riding, but I don’t do downhills or anything, mainly trail riding.

I just wanted the frame, motor and battery really, and the 500Wh battery on the alloy version saves a useful amount of weight and more than covers my standard 20 mile-ish rides.

I do love the look of the Carbon Levo’s and especially the S-Works stuff, but just not needed for me if I’m honest.

If money was no object, then maybe! 😁

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
Th
Yep I'll second that, it's a great trail bike but even though numbers are slack I found it very twitchy in gnar. Mullet with super short stay has a lot to do with this.

I'm running flip chips slack/low with minus headset and a 170 zeb.. feels great now and corners better than my outgoing yt decoy 29.

I think mullets take some adjustment and for smashing harder trails im not sold, but man so they make the bike feel light!

When I first rode it stock it was definitely more trail bike and took some getting used to.

Master mind is a cool feature, I use a garmin but I'm also cheap! So alloy comp for 5500 was easy choice. I personally Can't tell a difference in alloy to carbon but your points make sense.
Thanks for the insight. I’m coming from a 2014 Large 27.5 Nomad, with a reach of 438mm! A large Levo with 477mm will feel much more stable I’m thinking. I rode a 2020 L Megatower a while back with a reach of 470, the stability felt like I was cheating on the DH’s. I haven’t been on a mullet yet, but with the Megatower I felt like I was riding “in the bike”, rather than “on the bike” with the old Nomad. I also regularly ride a 2006 Foes Fly, but that is a 26’er, but long reach and even taller BB!

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland

I haven’t rode mine yet in some proper steep/gnarly trails only short sections. But just to keep things in perspective, the bike so far is very capable. The chunky terrain I’ve come across its handled it just fine, I was actually impressed.
This was with the bike fully stock with the Fox 38, and I didn’t even make any adjustments to it, it was set to however the bike shop set it up since it was the first couple days after purchasing and I was out of town.

I’m sure in sustained gnar and/or steep terrain it’s weaknesses may start to show as you mentioned, but still a very capable bike all around!

I do prefer steep/tech terrain so I’m definitely excited to see how it takes a proper gnarled trail when I get the chance.

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
I have an Enduro with an 11/6 and ride a 2019 Levo with the Fox Float X2. It’s surprisingly good compared with the coil. I’d certainly try to dial the air in for a while. I think you might also find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Of note, I’m 6’4” 235 and ride pretty aggressive single track descents.

Last edited:

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
I’m going to buy my first ebike, narrowed it down to a S4 gen 3 Levo. I tend to ride up steep fire roads and drop fast singletracks and “game trails”. My current Amish bike is a 2014 Nomad with Push 11/6 and the Push coil in the fork as well. I do like the feel of coil suspension.

With the collective experience on this forum, if you were to choose, which setup Would you go with?… (I only have the budget of about $9000 US)

1- buy the Levo Expert and leave it stock.
OR
2- buy the Levo Comp Carbon and upgrade the rear to a Cascade Long Link with an EXT e-Storia, and install a 170 air sleeve in the Rhythm 36 until I can get a 38 or Zeb
OR
3- buy the Levo Comp Carbon and upgrade to a Push 11/6, leaving the rear travel the same (and keep the warranty of the frame)

I’m 51, about 210pounds kitted and tend to ride aggressive on the DH.

Thanks in advance for any insight

edited to add another option….
Been pretty happy on my Levo Comp Carbon here over past 3 weeks, averaging 16-22k of DH vertical feet per week (4-5 rides/week) on everything from DH, FR/jump lines, slow techy trails, blasting techy trails. I am pretty well pleased so far after I tossed the stock tires for Schwalbe SG casings, longer post, different saddle, grips, shorter stem. I wanted the Expert and was planning on that, but after spending a few hours on local DH/FR zone with buddies Expert, I wasn’t stoked on the 38 and X2 despite having digital shock pump and tools on hand for adjustment and spent a fair amount of time dialing it in during the ride. Only issue with with Float X is that uses travel pretty easy with no external compression, but I have only bottomed it hard once. Added thicker volume spacer (thinnest yellow in stock) and better. I turning my best runs on this thing (love the mullet!), a bit more fun to me, only giving up a bit of speed on really fast, open DH’s compare to my other bike, Trek Rail 170/157 w/coil full 29. Levo Comp smokes it on everyone else and is more fun to ride, since turns and moves quicker on the slicing turns and jumps better. For $5900 for Comp Carbon vs $8350 for Expert was no brainer for me and glad I didnt go with the Expert. Plan to go with a bit wider, stiffer carbon wheels when roast the stock ones and possble AXS when roast the drivtrain. Super stoked with bike so far that has upped my riding some already (sending bigger jumps/gaps and slicing more turns. I am 50, 205 lbs, been riding regular mtb for well over 20 years year round and like all things aggressive and spicy on trail for reference

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I am pretty well pleased so far after I tossed the stock tires for Schwalbe SG casings, longer post, different saddle, grips, shorter stem.
What didn’t you like about the stock tires? I’m a Maxxis guy and I’ve been pretty pleased with the initial feeling on the Eliminator/Butcher combo.

I went with a shorter stem as well.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
What didn’t you like about the stock tires? I’m a Maxxis guy and I’ve been pretty pleased with the initial feeling on the Eliminator/Butcher combo.

I went with a shorter stem as well.
Poor wet/loam performance, especially on steep trails, especially braking. Thin casing, like a ballon on narrower 30mm rims for poorer aggressive cornering/loading. 2.4 thicker casing tires much better for me, especially on heavy ebike that takes alot of compressive loads from me

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
Poor wet/loam performance, especially on steep trails, especially braking. Thin casing, like a ballon on narrower 30mm rims for poorer aggressive cornering/loading. 2.4 thicker casing tires much better for me, especially on heavy ebike that takes alot of compressive loads from me
I did my first test ride on a Levo Expert, and thought the tires were too floaty, like they didn’t bite into dry and dusty blown out sections as well. They felt like balloons, as you mentioned. I think the recommended suspension settings from Specialized is pretty good for when you are going up to 75-80%, but when you start pushing that 85-90% range and above of your physical and mental level, the suspension will need adjustments.

I believe the suspension should be set up so that it operated properly when you are pushing 95% and above of your limits. You should feel safe and assured when you are pinned without any doubts….

pretty good bike all said and done, but more range would be nice!

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
I did my first test ride on a Levo Expert, and thought the tires were too floaty, like they didn’t bite into dry and dusty blown out sections as well. They felt like balloons, as you mentioned. I think the recommended suspension settings from Specialized is pretty good for when you are going up to 75-80%, but when you start pushing that 85-90% range and above of your physical and mental level, the suspension will need adjustments.

I believe the suspension should be set up so that it operated properly when you are pushing 95% and above of your limits. You should feel safe and assured when you are pinned without any doubts….

pretty good bike all said and done, but more range would be nice!
Yeah pushing mine 90-95% on most every ride since I don’t know any better and former racer dude. I am trying to back down as I age (50), but these bikes and today’s trails just begs for more. So for very pleased with basic suspension for 90-95% of stuff I do, just need to go up another volume spacer in shock I think. No bottom out last night on big senders, but every mm of traveled used
IMG_5750.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles