Levo Gen 3 Chain Choice for Gen 3 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon

LevoBiker

Feb 11, 2023
NJ
I'm somewhat confused on chain choices for the Gen 3. Spec says "SRAM NX Eagle 12-Speed" but if you do a search there are two of them; one with a PC prefix (CHPC8031011) and the other without (CN-EAGL-NX-A1). I can't readily tell which one is on my stock bike but some of the links has 402 stamped on it. Which one is better for the longevity and shifting performance of the drivetrain.
Also, is X01 a better choice and will the LBS complain if something should occur during the warranty period.

Last edited:

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
On my Expert Levo, when my GX chain wears out, I will replace it with the XO1 as they are supposed to last longer. No problems with warranty, etc. I’m also trying out Muckoff C3 dry lube for the drivetrain, hopefully it extends the life of everything! (I am in a dry environment)

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
I'm somewhat confused on chain choices for the Gen 3. Spec says "SRAM NX Eagle 12-Speed" but if you do a search there are two of them; one with a PC prefix (CHPC8031011) and the other without (CN-EAGL-NX-A1). I can't readily tell which one is on my stock bike but some of the links has 402 stamped on it. Which one is better for the longevity and shifting performance of the drivetrain.
Also, is X01 a better choice and will the LBS complain if something should occur during the warranty period.
My chain experience is mostly limited to donut powered mountain bikes, but I've found that the XO1 chain lasts considerably longer than GX. I don't see why a different chain would affect the warranty. I suppose you could ask them. I did replace my KMC chain with an XTR chain, but that was just to trouble shoot a noise coming from the drivetrain on my E-bike.

LevoBiker

Feb 11, 2023
NJ
I do understand that the X01 chain is a "better" chain but it is also 2x the price. I'm assuming it doesn't wear or stretch as quickly as the standard chain which means that the rest of the drivetrain will last longer if I replace the chain at the same intervals as my standard chain. However, does that really make sense or is it just better and cost effective to replace the cassette and chainring periodically when running the standard chain.
I'm still interested if anyone knows the difference between the NX chains with the PC designation and not.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
I do understand that the X01 chain is a "better" chain but it is also 2x the price. I'm assuming it doesn't wear or stretch as quickly as the standard chain which means that the rest of the drivetrain will last longer if I replace the chain at the same intervals as my standard chain. However, does that really make sense or is it just better and cost effective to replace the cassette and chainring periodically when running the standard chain.
I'm still interested if anyone knows the difference between the NX chains with the PC designation and not.
Looking up CHPC8031011 on SRAM's site doesn't return any item. Looking up CN-EAGL-NX-A1 on SRAM's site returns an NX Eagle chain. Maybe the CHPC model was replaced with the CN model.

I doubt one version of the NX is much different than another. I almost never have to replace a cassette, using an XO1 chain, but if that's your preference, that's okay too. If you replace the NX chain regularly, I doubt you'd have to.

I think the XO1 shifts better, but that's a pretty subjective observation. I'm sure YMMV, and opinions differ, but I think the XO1 is worth the price difference over the GX. I haven't ridden the NX, but I'm guessing the GX is better than the NX.

Last edited:

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I snapped a GX in the first 100 km (my fault) but replaced it with an XO1 and it's been about 300km, and I've been no easier on it is holding great. In fact, I've been doing more bike park skipping the lift and turbo mode straight up the mountain which I'm sure the chain doesn't love.

LevoBiker

Feb 11, 2023
NJ
This is all good information. You are right about not changing cassettes often. I don't unless damaged but with this being my first eBike, I am figuring that with the added chain strain and intermittent hard shifts that the cassette will take a beating. Perhaps I am wrong. However, it does sound like the X01 is the way to go. I'm just hoping that I won't find out that my chainring is too worn and makes noise with the new chain.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
This is all good information. You are right about not changing cassettes often. I don't unless damaged but with this being my first eBike, I am figuring that with the added chain strain and intermittent hard shifts that the cassette will take a beating. Perhaps I am wrong. However, it does sound like the X01 is the way to go. I'm just hoping that I won't find out that my chainring is too worn and makes noise with the new chain.
Yeah, it's a judgement call. I generally find a degradation in shifting on my mountain bike before the chain stretches past the replace point. I think it's because the links might begin to deform some from shifting before the pins begin to cause significant elongation. Even with that, the XO1 seems to last a relatively long time. I'm guessing that elongation force might be a bigger factor as you say, on an Ebike. I can generate an instant torque of 90 NM or so, but my Ebike can run 85 until it runs out of power.

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
I read that the XO1 lasts about 2.5X the GX chain, and the GX lasts much longer than the NX…. Google it and read up If you like.

there is the camp that likes to use the cheaper chains and replace every 500 miles, but I like to rotate 3 chains every 600 miles, and those 3 chains will go 6000+ miles on a single drivetrain…..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A worn chain damages all the gears it touches, so don't let it get too worn.
I too have found that the better spec'd chains last a lot longer, like 3x longer without exaggerating. My first XO1 chain was on course for lasting 6x longer, but I sold the bike before I could get past 4x longer.

Edit: Oh and don't worry about the bike shop challenging you on warranty if you change the chain. Transmission is a wearable item, so unless they actually break, then you are on your own. I once had an XT cassette break into separate pieces when the rivets broke. That was an unchallenged warranty claim. Got a new XT Cassette.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
I am trying a KMC E12.
I was very disappointed by my GX quick link broken in less than 500km even though I am very catious when changing gear.

If the KMC lasts enough that will be my chain for the future.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
All Eagle chains a re compatible with all Eagle cassettes (leaving a side the stupidly priced "Transmission" range). NX chains tend to be mostly OEM fitted. The obvious choices are either GX or X01. X01 is typically c 2x the price of GX and some say it lasts a lot longer. The only difference is the addition of a special coating.

I prefer to run GX chains and when used on my bike with GX AXS ,so far, they are lasting me more than 1000kms ( in UK conditions) before reaching 0.5. They do seem to wear more quickly than than on my standard X01 derailleur bike though.
The Eagle masterlink/quicklink is single use only.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles