Turbo Levo: Base, Comp or Comp Carbon? Which one to buy between these 3?

Cyclone

May 10, 2018
I feel like you think the Levo falls into the latter category, which I understand as £750 just for a carbon top frame is a hefty price increase, particularly if it's not doing much other than changing the looks.

Has anyone actually tested a 18 comp vs a 18 com carbon to really see / feel the difference in just the frame? That would be very interesting for those looking to buy.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
anyone actually tested a 18 comp vs a 18 com carbon
This is where I think that there would be little difference in real world. 17 to 18 and different levels of spec will have obvious differences, but 18 to 18 only difference being the frame from Alu to Comp I’m sure wont be too different, other than £750 in price.

Cyclone

May 10, 2018
This is where I think that there would be little difference in real world. 17 to 18 and different levels of spec will have obvious differences, but 18 to 18 only difference being the frame from Alu to Comp I’m sure wont be too different, other than £750 in price.

Yea this is what was splitting me on my comp vs comp carbon purchase. It's a huge saving for what could be zero difference in the real world. Aesthetically it looks so much nicer for sure, but can you notice it, does it feel lighter, more nimble etc.

I currently ride red / black / blue trials around my area with friends on weekends and some Fridays half day after work. I'm not a competition rider, not crazy fit, I'm 75kg and 172cm and currently have a rockhopper. For me I do want something that is built to last with high quality parts, light, nimble but also with the benefit of pedal assist.

Ideally the s-works ticks all my boxes that cost is prohibitive to me at the moment, wife, kids, house, car, another baby en route, holidays coming up etc I can't really justify push 10k on a bike for weekend use only. But that would be the perfect spec for me.

I think I might ask my lbs if I can test a comp vs a comp carbon vs a expert alloy. If no one has done it yet, maybe I could do it, upload some videos and give my opinion. That's if they let me test all 3 back to back and if they have them in stock. Currently stock relievers for my lbs is mid June.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I feel like you think the Levo falls into the latter category, which I understand as £750 just for a carbon top frame is a hefty price increase, particularly if it's not doing much other than changing the looks.

Has anyone actually tested a 18 comp vs a 18 com carbon to really see / feel the difference in just the frame? That would be very interesting for those looking to buy.

I didn't mean to imply that Spesh is in the 3rd category. If the Levo carbon frame is lighter than the alloy then chances are it will behave differently in certain situations.

The frames look quite similar, so they probably didn't use carbon for frame design purposes.

Edit: The S-Works with carbon front and rear triangle is supposedly down 650g, so the non S-Wrx is probably down a pound-ish. Hard to say if it can be noticed, but Spesh claims the carbon frame is stiffer.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Cyclone you live near me. Happy to meet up and take you out on a Comp Carbon if you like? Alternatively if you can get a regular Comp then I can bring the Comp Carbon along and you can ride and compare etc?

Cyclone

May 10, 2018
@Cyclone you live near me. Happy to meet up and take you out on a Comp Carbon if you like? Alternatively if you can get a regular Comp then I can bring the Comp Carbon along and you can ride and compare etc?

You are in Surrey right? I'm no where near unfortunately, but I appreciate the offer. Thank you.

What's even more embarrassing here, is the FreeBorn bikes are doing infinitely better deals than my LBS and even when I asked my shop to consider matching, offering a trade in for charity like Evans and FreeBorn they said no way, not even 1% discount XD

Great to see FreeBorn actually pushing sales, getting the bikes out, gaining new customers, supporting local charities AND serving the community. They are currently the only bike shop offering good discounts to get people out on the bikes and not just grabbing as much money as possible!

They deserve a free advert and sticky thread as more bike shops could really learn that a small discount in the bike will feed more sales on parts, accessories, clothes, upgrades, services etc later.

500g difference for £750 hmm.. that's not a lot of weight at all, I think I lost 500g + at around 6:24 this morning after a strong coffee :oops:.

That really might not be worth it at all. Is that for sure, the absolute only difference?

Would a better option be, get the comp, upgrade the suspension etc? Hmmmm

Last edited:

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Hi Rob,

I had the 17 Expert last year went to the 18 carbon expert in October just before the snow fell here in Canada.
The 18 feels slightly more twitchy and lighter than the 17 I much prefer the Fox rear shock on the 17 than the rock shock on the 18. It had a narrower band of adjustment but smoother in its action and held pressure better. The front Öhlins is far better than the 17 front fork end gives loads more feedback and damps everything out, gives more control in heavier hits. Brakes on the 17 felt stronger I know they are not meant to be but they felt it. Motors feel similar in power at the top end but the 18 feels punchier down low.
The biggest plus I feel the 18 carbon has is that it feels more together and much more composed if I get into a corner over my head. I’ve only had a handful of + temp rides so far and should have more info soon.
Hope that helps,
I agree with all of that my 2018 bike rides completely different to my 2017 but interestingly both of my bikes were ali framed and I still havent really worked out why its a different ride the 2018 just feels more agile!!!

Cyclone

May 10, 2018
I agree with all of that my 2018 bike rides completely different to my 2017 but interestingly both of my bikes were ali framed and I still havent really worked out why its a different ride the 2018 just feels more agile!!!

Again that's very interesting?
Is there any literature stating the actual weight reduction in the like for like models from 17/18 due to the different parts used?

For example...
Did the new motor lose a few lbs?
Is the new suspension using slightly lighter weight parts?
Thinner lighter wheels and tyres, etc?

Those changes alone, must all add up to a substantial overall weight reduction. Add a Carbon frame into that too, could be a big deal.

Or does it "feel" lighter due to the 15% power increase/responsiveness of the motor, making it feel more nimble and reactive.

There are to many models to test them all to see which one suits me best, and my LBS doesn't have them in stock until mid June, so I'll be ordering online likely from the shop mentioned in this thread. So I would like to get it right first time.

Additionally, is anyone else 5ft 7" and if so what size bike are you Riding? I was going to go medium according to the size chart, but my current bike is a large.

Last edited:

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Equipment is more or less the same the lyric forks were on my 2017 and now on 2018, I have a light wheelset but they were on both bikes as well. I think you are probably right about the motor though its more responsive and now I have decent brakeset I can leave my braking a bit later. As far as I know weight is not changed but I think there maybe some small geometry tweaks and cranks are shorter

Cyclone

May 10, 2018
Equipment is more or less the same the lyric forks were on my 2017 and now on 2018, I have a light wheelset but they were on both bikes as well. I think you are probably right about the motor though its more responsive and now I have decent brakeset I can leave my braking a bit later. As far as I know weight is not changed but I think there maybe some small geometry tweaks and cranks are shorter

Yea that makes a lot of sense. Really interesting to get your perspective though, as an owner of the same model from 17/18 you have a very rare insight to the changes in build, feel and ride etc.

Did you sell your 17 or just buy a second bike?
If you did sell, why? We're you unhappy with something or just a usual yearly upgrade for you?

Did you try any of the Carbon models, thoughts?
Do you think the 17 should be avoided like many others do due to its short comings?

Do you use your 18 as your daily rider or is it your weekend mistress?
Do you commute on your bike to work etc?

Are you buying a 19 or are you happy with the 18?

Have you had any issues?
Anything you wish you knew then, that you know now etc?

Any tips for new buyers / owners?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Yea that makes a lot of sense. Really interesting to get your perspective though, as an owner of the same model from 17/18 you have a very rare insight to the changes in build, feel and ride etc.

Did you sell your 17 or just buy a second bike?
If you did sell, why? We're you unhappy with something or just a usual yearly upgrade for you?

Did you try any of the Carbon models, thoughts?
Do you think the 17 should be avoided like many others do due to its short comings?

Do you use your 18 as your daily rider or is it your weekend mistress?
Do you commute on your bike to work etc?

Are you buying a 19 or are you happy with the 18?

Have you had any issues?
Anything you wish you knew then, that you know now etc?

Any tips for new buyers / owners?
the 17 was a great bike but half way through I had to have a new motor under warranty they also did a firmware upgrade which to my mind didnt suit the 1.2 motor but the main reason I was intrigued by the 1.3 motor and had to have one!!
I sold the 17 bike to fund the 18
no didnt try the carbon models but I have had carbon bikes before and I dont like their feel I just prefer Ali
I dont comute but I ride my bike a lot during the week, I live in the forest!
Mmm 19 I wonder what they will do But I have to say I want a Vitus but as well as my Levo not instead of
I have had zero issues with the 2018 but you do have to be aware of where the electrical connectors are and how to keep them maintained
My Wife has a 2017 levo and she has had loads of issues Spesh have just put a new motor and complete wiring in and its still not right, next they will replace the battery!!

Cyclone

May 10, 2018
the 17 was a great bike but half way through I had to have a new motor under warranty they also did a firmware upgrade which to my mind didnt suit the 1.2 motor but the main reason I was intrigued by the 1.3 motor and had to have one!!
I sold the 17 bike to fund the 18
no didnt try the carbon models but I have had carbon bikes before and I dont like their feel I just prefer Ali
I dont comute but I ride my bike a lot during the week, I live in the forest!
Mmm 19 I wonder what they will do But I have to say I want a Vitus but as well as my Levo not instead of
I have had zero issues with the 2018 but you do have to be aware of where the electrical connectors are and how to keep them maintained
My Wife has a 2017 levo and she has had loads of issues Spesh have just put a new motor and complete wiring in and its still not right, next they will replace the battery!!

Very interesting, again it does seem that buying a 17 even at a discount, "could" be a pain in the future and spending a few extra £s now may save a lot of time without the bike later.

This is the main reason I didn't want to buy a pre owned Levo. I've seen some stunning deals, but they worry me. After 3/6 months, pre owned, no original proof of sale, not bought locally (ebay) if there is an issue, it may be a real headache to deal with.

Thanks for the info it really helps me with my decision making process.

@Rob
I just watched a video of you and some 70yo guys. I noticed you had a myriad of bikes on that day, and was wondering. How did those bikes compare to the Levo.

In the video you mention spec snobbery and you were running the "6" base model with Moah Powah :) how did those bikes compare to the Levo in your opinion just out of curiosity?

Out of all the bikes you have tested, ridden do you think the Levo is the best overall bike or do you think otherwise?

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
The other difference between my 17 Expert and 18 Expert is the carbon rims this is where the bike feels a little more twitchy like a sport bike without a steering damper, power steering lol

Cyclone

May 10, 2018
Well... it's not September, but there has been an update. I'm extending the budget and have 2 offers to choose from and need advice.

I have 2 bikes available with slight differences.

Carbon Comp from my LBS with full bike check, setup, free 30 day checkup and free small fixes etc £4500
Mail Order delivered S-Works £7450 (no LBS support) bike delivered and I presume built by me?

It's happening tomorrow, what decision to I make people?
Thoughts?

How easy are the bikes to build from mail order (suspension setup, brakes bleeding etc) vs a store supported lesser model?

Cyclone

May 10, 2018
I've just been looking at the spec for the Turbo Levo S-Works and noticed something very unusual? The bikes available at different stores, have different specs? Is that normal?

Some shops are selling the S-Works with a RockShox Monarch Rear Shock and others sell with Custom Öhlins STX rear shock?

How can a Specialized Turbo Levo S-Works 2018 be sold with a varying/differing spec from shop to shop for the same SkunkWorks model?

Edit:
Never contacted either store back, as I'm still unclear. Budget is primed and ready to go though the wife allowed me to spend more if need be, as long as I "change a nappy" or something like that? No idea what that is, but sounds dead easy so I agreed!

Last edited:

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
Well... it's not September, but there has been an update. I'm extending the budget and have 2 offers to choose from and need advice.

I have 2 bikes available with slight differences.

Carbon Comp from my LBS with full bike check, setup, free 30 day checkup and free small fixes etc £4500
Mail Order delivered S-Works £7450 (no LBS support) bike delivered and I presume built by me?

It's happening tomorrow, what decision to I make people?
Thoughts?

How easy are the bikes to build from mail order (suspension setup, brakes bleeding etc) vs a store supported lesser model?

Very easily if you have any mechanical ability. Go for the s works. I've read they had reliability issues with the ohlins so they switched during '18 production cycle

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles