Upgrade from base model Levo ...

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Has anyone priced up the upgrades (dropper brakes drivetrain forks shock.. yeah it's a long list) needed to make a base model Levo a capable trail bike, vs buying one of the pricier models?

Reasoning: I don't need the 700wH battery. The carbon frame is nice but not a must have.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I just fitted new forks (lyrics) and new brakes, got a dropper fitted when i bought the bike. No point in upgradeing anything else until it wears out

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
Many on here buy the base model and upgrade things. It is the most cost effective way if you arent bothered about the battery, carbon frame or colours specific to the higher end models.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Has anyone priced up the upgrades (dropper brakes drivetrain forks shock.. yeah it's a long list) needed to make a base model Levo a capable trail bike, vs buying one of the pricier models?

Reasoning: I don't need the 700wH battery. The carbon frame is nice but not a must have.
As I knew I'd be changing a lot, the carbon frame would've cost £2000 more. Something I wasn't prepared to pay for.

I believe you've got my spreadsheet now, that'll give you every info you could need. My geek sheet

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
I bought a base model and added

2020 Lyrik ultimate 160mm £750
Brand x 170mm dropper post £120
Guide re brakes front and rear around £140
Magic Mary up front and Eddie currant on the rear. £40 each.
DMR vault pedals £100

The bike is a pretty perfect now and substantially better than the next spec up from base.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
Many on here buy the base model and upgrade things. It is the most cost effective way if you arent bothered about the battery, carbon frame or colours specific to the higher end models.

Sticker packs are available to change the logo colours if you don’t like the combo. Mine is now red and black.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
D57EC9BB-C100-4A1D-8F1D-251BD054BCCE.jpeg

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
re saddles - the Canyon and Ergon emtb saddles have raised lips at the rear "for support when you're climbing steeps". I rode the Canyon, I don't find it necessary as when I'm climbing steeps I'm on the saddle nose and pedals.

jm2e

Jun 2, 2019
ekn8tios
Until you get to the S-works bike, they’re all basically in dire need of major upgrades.
Fork
Shock
Brakes
Wheelset
Dropper
Pedals

I think I’ll be lucky if I get >$500 for all of it combined. I priced out the EBay values of the very slightly better components as the models became more expensive. At best, you got about $200 bucks increased value for each $1000 price increase.

Basically, I saw the base model as a $2000 frame with a $2000 motor and $1000 battery.

skypickle

Jul 18, 2019
MA
Until you get to the S-works bike, they’re all basically in dire need of major upgrades.
Fork
Shock
Brakes
Wheelset
Dropper
Pedals

I think I’ll be lucky if I get >$500 for all of it combined. I priced out the EBay values of the very slightly better components as the models became more expensive. At best, you got about $200 bucks increased value for each $1000 price increase.

Basically, I saw the base model as a $2000 frame with a $2000 motor and $1000 battery.
no drivetrain upgrade?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
@galaga187 there is a thread on the Ergon emtb saddle here Anyone try Ergon's new E- Mtb saddle? - EMTB Forums

if it's the same as the Canyon one - I tried that and found it quite uncomfortable, so I will probably get the regular Ergon saddle.

I also don't see the need for the rear lip (because when I'm climbing I'm on the nose of the saddle), nor do I accept emtb rides mean more sitting down (because for a given length ride I spend more time going down and less seated than on a clockwork bike).

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
@galaga187 there is a thread on the Ergon emtb saddle here Anyone try Ergon's new E- Mtb saddle? - EMTB Forums

if it's the same as the Canyon one - I tried that and found it quite uncomfortable, so I will probably get the regular Ergon saddle.

I also don't see the need for the rear lip (because when I'm climbing I'm on the nose of the saddle), nor do I accept emtb rides mean more sitting down (because for a given length ride I spend more time going down and less seated than on a clockwork bike).
Hoping I can try before I buy - most comfortable saddle I ever had was a Sella Flight TI

jm2e

Jun 2, 2019
ekn8tios
no drivetrain upgrade?
Nope. I don't actually thing an expensive drivetrain is money well spent with an ebike. It feels like it'll be about as much of a wear item as brake pads!
If anything, I'm toying with the idea of going with a MicroShift 9 speed wide range drivetrain. Price is right, and should be way more durable.

Now, if I could find a frame wrap kit that would take my bright yellow frame and turn it black, I'd pay for that!!!!!

Reactions: Bis

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
Nope. I don't actually thing an expensive drivetrain is money well spent with an ebike. It feels like it'll be about as much of a wear item as brake pads!
If anything, I'm toying with the idea of going with a MicroShift 9 speed wide range drivetrain. Price is right, and should be way more durable.

Now, if I could find a frame wrap kit that would take my bright yellow frame and turn it black, I'd pay for that!!!!!

Have you considered using a spray wrap (not plastidip) such as an autoflex coating/peel able paint. I have used these for repainting lots of things and the finish can look amazing. You even get pearls and two tone colours with a glossifier. Best of all they can be removed to look stock again with the correct dissolving compound or a tedious peeling process.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/jalo...-but-all-grown-u-1783482823/amp?client=safari

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles