Commencal Meta Power Race Fox!

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Is the button for the computer to get to the menu on the display? That would be more convenient, than having to hold down the button on the bottom of the display for a few seconds to get to the menu.
I have the E6000 switch on mine from day 1 and I love it. The E7000 looks better but more expensive without the third button. 60€ vs 43€ on bike24.
pict-1000.jpg

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
There's still hope for a better engine guard to replace the flimsy one. Emailed Commencial to find out what happened with the 2nd generation. They production has finally started and should be ready in 30 days so they say, so maybe a xmas present. I'm on the list though for whenever it happens. And msg the makers of the Rock guardz after market engine guards. Showed them the pics of how commencal has the flimsiest engine guard on the market. They were receptive and agreed that it was hardly any protection. They will be looking for a donor metapower to make a mold. Might or might not happen, but worth a try.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
There's still hope for a better engine guard to replace the flimsy one. Emailed Commencial to find out what happened with the 2nd generation. They production has finally started and should be ready in 30 days so they say, so maybe a xmas present. I'm on the list though for whenever it happens. And msg the makers of the Rock guardz after market engine guards. Showed them the pics of how commencal has the flimsiest engine guard on the market. They were receptive and agreed that it was hardly any protection. They will be looking for a donor metapower to make a mold. Might or might not happen, but worth a try.
I was about to message commencal be good if they make one

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Be good if they mad a universal shimano motor one - would the Vitus onefit on the Commencal, its held up well on my bike

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Be good if they mad a universal shimano motor one - would the Vitus onefit on the Commencal, its held up well on my bike
Good point that I’ve not looked closely at other shimano bikes but they all seem to have the motor hanging from the mounts in the same way , it’s the shape of the motor that’s the important part to fit .

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Good point that I’ve not looked closely at other shimano bikes but they all seem to have the motor hanging from the mounts in the same way , it’s the shape of the motor that’s the important part to fit .
What do you think about this one, made for a Merida. Like the one by a member on another thread, but the one in this pic has a bend in the back that might line up with the screw holes on the oem one. The one in the original thread has a flat bottom. Same member I think.
1538971088583.png

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
The one with the bend was the prototype. the flat bottom is fitted with a bracket to fit more bikes. He just needs a commencal to get the measurements. But looks like just what I need. My second one is already tearing.
From the member "The guard with a bend at the rear is my first version but it was really tricky to get it accurate. The one I make now has a specially made bracket fitted to the motor which the guard bolts to. The bracket will fit Shimano E8000 motors and so guards can be made to fit all other Shimano equipped bikes. I just need to get someone to bring their bike to me so I can get the dimensions required. I’m in the UK."

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Looks a bit chunky that one to me
I have just emailed commencal , the 2019 bash guard will be available on thier website in a week or two so iam waiting for that

440F5144-1EAA-4226-B0F3-43C77F66934B.png

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It looks a little bit strange (the fixing screw) but I would upgrade mine to this one.
It does look strange , there’s only one screw in the front lower and one missing in the top hole , I wonder if this is a photo that was enhanced to get a picture on the web pre production . There’s also an updated chainstay protector . I would like to try that 29er version

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
I'm waiting for funds to order a Meta Power and I'm hesitating between the 2018 Race Fox, and the 2019 Essential. The Race Fox is really appealing, but I'm hesitant because of the EX1. What is your overall experience with it?

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
I'm waiting for funds to order a Meta Power and I'm hesitating between the 2018 Race Fox, and the 2019 Essential. The Race Fox is really appealing, but I'm hesitant because of the EX1. What is your overall experience with it?
For the 300€ difference, I would go with the Race Fox although I'm not a fan of the EX1, especially on Shimano. It likes to spin and 11/12 speed is more suited to its characteristics. But you can sell the EX1 and downgrade it to 11 speed any time and still have some money left in your pocket.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I went for the race because I wanted the coil shock , and the lyric fork is easier to service with the airspring upgrade it feels as plush as the fox . The ex1 was simply part of the spec and new to me so I thought I would give it a go . It’s very robust , but that’s all I can say , the derailure is huge so I feel easier to damaged than say Xt , although I haven’t damaged it yet . It keeps shifting well even when it’s really full of mud .
There is no way I will be paying the price for a new cassette so I won’t replace it when it’s worn , but I think that cassette will last very well .
For me there’s too big a gap between gears , especially when riding with normal bikes and keeping in eco on climbs .
I’ve just ordered a full set of sun race 11 speed so will see we how that performs .
I may sell the ex1 or just keep it incase I ever sell the bike .

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
I went for the race because I wanted the coil shock , and the lyric fork is easier to service with the airspring upgrade it feels as plush as the fox . The ex1 was simply part of the spec and new to me so I thought I would give it a go . It’s very robust , but that’s all I can say , the derailure is huge so I feel easier to damaged than say Xt , although I haven’t damaged it yet . It keeps shifting well even when it’s really full of mud .
There is no way I will be paying the price for a new cassette so I won’t replace it when it’s worn , but I think that cassette will last very well .
For me there’s too big a gap between gears , especially when riding with normal bikes and keeping in eco on climbs .
I’ve just ordered a full set of sun race 11 speed so will see we how that performs .
I may sell the ex1 or just keep it incase I ever sell the bike .

I just did the airspring (and RC2 damper) upgrade on my Lyrik and upped it to 170mm. Still fiddling with the settings but plusher than before. As for servicing, I can't see much difference as I have a bike with Fox too, but the annoying thing is that I need four different type of oil for the forks.

I already ripped off one SRAM rear mech and next time I will replace it with XT because a rear mech and shifter are cheaper than a SRAM GX derailleur.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I just did the airspring (and RC2 damper) upgrade on my Lyrik and upped it to 170mm. Still fiddling with the settings but plusher than before. As for servicing, I can't see much difference as I have a bike with Fox too, but the annoying thing is that I need four different type of oil for the forks.

I already ripped off one SRAM rear mech and next time I will replace it with XT because a rear mech and shifter are cheaper than a SRAM GX derailleur.

It’s probably the fact that there’s lots of info on the rock shock forks for servicing . I can’t find any info on Fox , I started taking a set apart but gave up. The fox forks on our other bikes are really plush when new but seemed to go off and need a service more often to keep them feeling good .

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
It’s probably the fact that there’s lots of info on the rock shock forks for servicing . I can’t find any info on Fox , I started taking a set apart but gave up. The fox forks on our other bikes are really plush when new but seemed to go off and need a service more often to keep them feeling good .
Agreed, RS is much better putting out step by step instructions and videos on servicing their products.

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
Ok, sounds like you guys can't wait to replace your EX1 system by another one. In that case, why do you feel that it's worth to pay 300€ more for the Race Fox over the 2019 Essential? Is it the rear shock? The wheelset? The Brakes?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Ok, sounds like you guys can't wait to replace your EX1 system by another one. In that case, why do you feel that it's worth to pay 300€ more for the Race Fox over the 2019 Essential? Is it the rear shock? The wheelset? The Brakes?
Do they still have the 2018 Models left , because your options will be very different on the 2019 models

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
Well, apparently the Race Fox is still in stock in all sizes and with a 4% discount. Other than the fork and shock, the rest of the components are pretty similar to the 2019 Essencial, but the 2019 comes with Eagle GX 12 speed instead of EX1. Hard to know which one to choose.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Better fork, maybe better shock, better brakes, better wheelset (if the 2019 Essential still has the 20T engagement Formula rear hub) and the more expensive drivetrain. Nothing is inherently wrong with the EX1 and it should be very durable. The big gaps between the gears are personal preference some people like it some don't. If it's time for replacement you can downgrade it to 11 speed from the price of an EX1 cassette.
On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with the 2019 Essential they just bumped up the price with 500€ and kept pretty much the same specs as my 2018. The GX Eagle upgrade doesn't justify the price hike but it's still on the cheaper side compared to the other brands and the bike is absolutely awesome.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Well, apparently the Race Fox is still in stock in all sizes and with a 4% discount. Other than the fork and shock, the rest of the components are pretty similar to the 2019 Essencial, but the 2019 comes with Eagle GX 12 speed instead of EX1. Hard to know which one to choose.
On the ebike I would pick EX1 over GX Eagle it's a much better-engineered product. I have GX Eagle on my enduro and the rear mech is very flimsy but shifting is OK so far. I think 12 speed is unnecessary on an ebike and the rear mech almost touches the ground with the 27,5 wheels. In the lowest point, it hangs 2,5cm lower than the 11 speed XT.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Given that choice I think the 2018 fox model is the better buy , with better spec on brakes and wheels as well as suspension new bike has the new bashguard , but that’s going to available as an extra . If you don’t like the 8 speed then it would probably sell for more than shimano Xt would cost

I would like to try the 29er which would throw another choice problem for me , always liked 29er best , but Iam unsure if it’s going to be as good on a heavier ebike .

Stevfro99

Oct 18, 2018
Huddersfield
I'm really struggling to choose between one of these Commencals 18 Or Canyon Spectral or the Lapierre 927. I like the weight saving on the Canyon and Commencal but for not much more the spec on the Lapierre is bang on. Decisions decisions....

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Lapierre has a proprietary battery, Commencal and Canyon has a regular Shimano. In case you need/want a spare that’s also something to consider. The 5,300€ Meta Power Race Fox has the same specs (different rear mech, better brakes) as the 7,500€ LP 927i, that’s over 40% difference... :)

Stevfro99

Oct 18, 2018
Huddersfield
Lapierre has a proprietary battery, Commencal and Canyon has a regular Shimano. In case you need/want a spare that’s also something to consider. The 5,300€ Meta Power Race Fox has the same specs (different rear mech, better brakes) as the 7,500€ LP 927i, that’s over 40% difference... :)
So in your eyes stick with the Commencal??

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
So in your eyes stick with the Commencal??
Well, it's hard to tell because we might have different preferences but for mine, the Commencal is absolutely perfect I wouldn't choose differently even today. I was considering the Lapierre 627i because my friend is selling them in his shop and I could get a good price. But even with that, it would have been more expensive than the Meta Power Essential. Also, I needed a spare battery and the external Shimano is very convenient. As a bonus, it was relatively cheap for 590€ at Commencal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles