San antonio, Tx
Commencal First Dirt with E-Bike Dave.-00-00-08-241.jpg

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
First ride dialed in. The 3.0 Dirt Wizards really woke it up and I did the firmware update that made the trail mode like the Bosch EMTB mode which I have on my Haibike and really like it. I was able to leave in trail mode the whole ride. The bike is amazing.
Has Shimano released new firmware for the E8000 that alters the assist levels? As far as I can tell only 3 FW versions exists. 4.0.7 from dec/17 is the latest, description says "bug fix". Or are you talking about tuning the motor, which can be done with the eTube app?

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I'm in the US and recently updated the firmware. Full assist up to 18mph then partial assist all the way up to 20mph. Before, it seemed to have no assist above 18mph.

Screenshot_20180409-125634.png

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
I have the bosch also and rode it before and after the emtb mode update. I rode the meta for a day before and missed having the emtb mode. The next day I updated the firmware and as it was updating was giving the description of what it was doing. And the description was similar to the emtb description, which is this - Depending on the pedal pressure, the progressive motor support automatically adapts to the individual riding style. Without changing gear, the motor always provides support at the ideal power level, even at low cadences. Not word for word, but similar. I wasn't sure until I rode it the next day and it was almost just like the emtb mode of the bosch and definitely different than the day before. Does not change the 20mph limit. It just allows for less shifting between modes. just my opinion of what I experienced.

ChrisP

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
East Yorkshire
Has anyone else tried the PearTune de-restricter for E8000? I find it works well on shimano - only drawback is that the speed displayed is 50% - so it show 10mph when you are doing 20 But who really looks at their speedo when hurling down though a forest? I also used PearTune on my Bosch and that was superb Both Available on e-bay.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Shimano doesn't report this upgrade. I was wrong in my previous post, there are 10 FW updates for the motor. Update 4.1.0 from july/17 could be relevant, description:

Adopting for USA specifications
Additional function
1. Riding characteristic setting
2. Cassette sprocket combination setting
ファームウェア更新情報 詳細|E-TUBE PROJECT|シマノ

emtb-news.de has a better description
Boost is pretty much the same as before. Trail though is now slightly stronger and the way it cuts in is better. It offers more support sooner and is
more complimentary to an uphill workout plus it maintains traction with the rear wheel better.

How-To & Test: Shimano Steps E8000 Firmware Update 4.1 – eMTB-News.de

I rode E8000 for the first time in sept/17 and I'm pretty sure that bike had at least 4.1.0, a bit surprising that you can buy an E8000 bike today with over a year old FW. I've ridden 5 different E8000 bikes since, and they were all at least 4.1.0, maybe the dealers updated them.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Has anyone else tried the PearTune de-restricter for E8000? I find it works well on shimano - only drawback is that the speed displayed is 50% - so it show 10mph when you are doing 20 But who really looks at their speedo when hurling down though a forest? I also used PearTune on my Bosch and that was superb Both Available on e-bay.
Thanks, I saw that on eBay also was wondering if it worked, reviews were good on it.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
We had a bit of a debate on deristricting talk allowed or not the forum. That was the end result - alll talk of deristriction is only allowed on that section ?
Makes sense to me. When ebikes were allowed on trails in my country, most concerns against the proposed law was that it was a fast motorbike that would tear up the trails. But the thing they were describing wasn't a pedelec which stops at 25kph. What they "feared" is a tuned ebike, with increased speed and/or increased power. If enough people hit the trails with these bikes, chances are all ebikes will lose access to trails. I think the opportunity we're given, to ride pedelecs on trails, is a great oportunity. There's quite a few people that are struggeling with illness, injuries or just age, that are now able to ride the trails again. We shouldn't risk it by acting irresponsibly. That's the case where I live at least.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
What tyres did yours come with , they look different to the uk bikes in that pic , I presume you’ve changed them

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
What tyres did yours come with , they look different to the uk bikes in that pic , I presume you’ve changed them
The bike came with 2.5 Maxxis hi roller in front and Agressor in back. Good knobby tires, I just prefer plus tires, I put 27.5x3.0 Surly Dirt Wizards, Mad traction now.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Just a heads up, check you axle pivot bolt. Mine came unbolted today, it was a third of the way out, before I noticed my rear end wobbling. Luckily the nut on the other side didn't fall off, the chain guide kept it from falling out. Glad I was on regular trail and not coming down a dh section, would've of probably ended badly. Be safe.
axle pivot bolt.jpg

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
My eE-Thirteen rear hub is starting to act up, freehub sticky not spinning consistently. When its sticks causes chain to move down the cassette. Anyone else have problems with these hubs. I read that they are prone to dust and water getting past the seals. When spinning the pedals in a stand by hand and let go the pedals move backwards instead of staying still.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
My eE-Thirteen rear hub is starting to act up, freehub sticky not spinning consistently. When its sticks causes chain to move down the cassette. Anyone else have problems with these hubs. I read that they are prone to dust and water getting past the seals. When spinning the pedals in a stand by hand and let go the pedals move backwards instead of staying still.
Freehubs do seem to need quite a bit of attention on all mtb , good idea to pop it off and service it check renew bearings etc I expect the bearings or one of them usually the inner has gone , iam not familier with this particular hub. There’s usually a vid somewhere on how to service take apart if not post some pics see if we can help

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Found that the chainring is on a freehub not connected to the cranks. It's the front freehub that is not connecting. Concentrating so much on the rear hub didn't notice until a friend told me that the chain ring and cranks were moving independently have to find me a Shimano Service center and get it checked out does not sound too serious

ChrisP

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
East Yorkshire
Found that the chainring is on a freehub not connected to the cranks. It's the front freehub that is not connecting. Concentrating so much on the rear hub didn't notice until a friend told me that the chain ring and cranks were moving independently have to find me a Shimano Service center and get it checked out does not sound too serious

Jsalas2 Just interested as my wife has this bike .......... how many miles have you covered on yours and what sort of terrain? ie Is it generally very muddy, sandy or dusty?
I would be very interested to hear the result/findings when your bike goes in for repair.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
I've got 375 miles, very dusty and rocky terrain is my usual. Will post up the results. Might be a little while , hard to find service down here where I'm at very few ebikes.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Nothing major I think motor still strong shifts and pedals
A normal bike shop will be able to service the hub it’s no different to a normal bike . It’s worth getting it looked at sooner rather than later , if the inner bearing breaks up in a feehub it can cost you a new hub or even more damage as the cassette will go out of alignment and your chain could come off over the top and take out the spokes or duailure , a bearing is about £3 and half hour to fit maybe .or It may just need a lube service

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Ok, got it sorted out. This is only for you with the E-Thirteen wheelset. This seal was the cause of all the problems. It's the seal after you pull off the cassette and hub body. It is too thick or wide and was causing drag on the cassette, which was pulling the front freewheel with the chainring causing it not to engage. As soon as he took it out and put it back together it was all working fine. Anyway, solution mechanic said, in this instance just take it out. He had seen this before on other wheels also. This is a well respected and knowledgeable mechanic. Was worried about dirt, He said shouldn't be a problem, showed me how to clean it and to check once a month. Just took 5 min. I can do that. Luckily all we have here is dust, no mud or rain for months. So it was a good day, just cost me $16 and got a free lesson on freehub maintenance. If your not having problems yet, I wouldn't worry, I probably just got one out of spec.
seal.jpg

ChrisP

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
East Yorkshire
Very interesting jsalas - and at the same time, slightly concerning regarding the quality of the E-thirteen hub! Have you contacted E-Thirteen at all to see what they have to say about it? Would be interested the hear their response.

Simply removing the seal would not really be an option here in the UK due to the wet & mud we have to ride through so often.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
If that type of seal is fitted upside down it will drag only a little at first until it gets dry it’s easily done and often when you look at it when re fitting it appears the right way is the wrong way round
Although from new it should be right

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK

HI Can you elaborate a little on this? I thought the Shimano system used a normal chainset. Are you saying there is some kind of freehub between the chainring and the BB?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Yes was reading up on it and it is a regular chain ring but connected to a free hub independently from the cranks
Iam completely confused here , sorry if Iam being a numpty , was your problem just with the rear freehub , or freewheel ,
Iam trying to work out if you also have a problem with the front assembly freewheel system that’s part of the motor ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles