Levo Gen 2 Cleaning around the motor casing/wiring?

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Looked at the condition of the motor wiring and really muddy already after about 1000 miles
Mud is building up around the wires.
I can take the crank off and the cover on the non drive side but thats about it.
Anyone got an instructional video or manual on how to clean around this area ?

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-01 at 13.13.42.jpeg

Last edited:

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Yup, thats pretty clean. I saw photos of ones without the sponge, just horrible...

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Oh right I didn't realise that was classed as clean, Its just that I wasn't expecting to see any mud in there. Maybe it's okay for another 1000 miles before trying to clean it.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I've just had another go at it to no joy - Did anyone find a good way to clean around the Motor ?

I took all the Motor Bolts off and the Motor wouldn't even come out!

Is this maintenance really essential anyway ? The crud is only getting around the wires etc. The motor itself is sealed.

Dirk74

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2020
Germany
This might help if you are keen to remove the motor

It’s absolutely not necessary for cleaning maintenance.
If you have access to an air compressor, that tool would do the job here around the electric contacts

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The only area you need to be concerned about is where the TCU and speed sensor cables connect into the motor PCB, and the main motor to battery cable. Start by unplugging the motor to battery cable and remove it. You can clean and inspect the cable, clean the contacts with contact cleaner, and lube the 2 green seals on the plug with silicone liquid lube. You now have a choice of either taking a phone photo of the other TCU and speed sensor cables before disconnecting them and cleaning the contacts and applying lube to the seals; or just use something like a bottle brush to clean in between the connectors. Personally I additional smear grease onto the male connectors behind the seals and more on the outside of the connector, once remade, to further protect against any water ingress. Remove the motofoam, wash and replace ( I use more motofoam than the standard piece in there). Before replacing the motor cover smear grease around the edges. This helps to trap dust and water that might get into the cavity between motor and cover.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles