Got carried away cleaning my Kenevo and took the motor out....

Bigbarper

Jul 10, 2018
Horsham, West Sussex.
Anyone know what the blue soft crumbly tacky substance is that goes between the motor and frame?
Mine kinda disintegrated when removing the motor, thinking a bit of silicone or similar will be appropriate when reinstalling.....
IMG_2009.JPG
IMG_2006.JPG

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
That's probably the fabled heat conductive pad, I expect @Al Boneta will be able to give you a definitive answer

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Not good to see all the moisture, mud and crap still getting into the 2018 motor housing area. It is worse on the 2017 models.

I will post what I have done to try to get around this challenging issue. Just need to get the photos and written details in some sort of logical step by step order which will hopefully help you all.

Bigbarper

Jul 10, 2018
Horsham, West Sussex.
Not good to see all the moisture, mud and crap still getting into the 2018 motor housing area. It is worse on the 2017 models.

I will post what I have done to try to get around this challenging issue. Just need to get the photos and written details in some sort of logical step by step order which will hopefully help you all.

I did see a post (by you?) where foam had been used to keep out mud, pine needles, grit etc but allowed water to wash through......think I will go down the same route.

idahoskiguy

May 16, 2018
Idaho USA
Glad I have never opened mine up, but the picture confirms what I have suspected is happening. Thinking I will just leave it alone until an actual need arises.

Bigbarper

Jul 10, 2018
Horsham, West Sussex.
Actually its not really as bad as it looks as all the motor connections were bone dry and clean internally.
Take a note or picture of cable polarity if removing motor as key on plugs preventing incorrect install is very subtle.
I used foam (sponge) to close off the cable entry points in a similar fashion to 'Kiwi in wales'
Also reused the thermal pad (waiting for the £3.00 eBay replacement) , its similar to blue tack in consistency and was straight forward to spread out squish between the motor and frame.
Only other thing of note was the main swing arm bearing spacer and seal needed a bit of a clean up and regrease.
All in all probably worth doing if you like to know how it all goes together and keep it well sorted.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles