Chris King or Industry 9 hubs on Specialized Levo

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
I went for Hope Pro 5 e-bike specific hub that has all 6 pawls engage at the same time

5E22E0CD-A1E7-44AF-BF1A-901A6A0CD5FF.jpeg

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
IMG_4606.jpeg

I got an i9 EN315 Carbon wheelset a couple of weeks back. So far I’ve only managed 1 ride on them (currently in Mallorca for the kids holidays), but hopefully home early enough to get another ride tomorrow afternoon!

Most of my previous wheels have been Roval, so usually DT Swiss hubs… but these i9 Hydras make a crazy noise. They sound like I’m being chased by a swarm of bees! I believe it’s a desired noise… and I’ll get used to it 😂😂

The engagement is amazing though… and I think they look awesome. Just need some more blue ‘bling’ to add to the bike to set it off.

Brian O

May 8, 2022
Brevard North Carolina
View attachment 121419
I got an i9 EN315 Carbon wheelset a couple of weeks back. So far I’ve only managed 1 ride on them (currently in Mallorca for the kids holidays), but hopefully home early enough to get another ride tomorrow afternoon!

Most of my previous wheels have been Roval, so usually DT Swiss hubs… but these i9 Hydras make a crazy noise. They sound like I’m being chased by a swarm of bees! I believe it’s a desired noise… and I’ll get used to it 😂😂

The engagement is amazing though… and I think they look awesome. Just need some more blue ‘bling’ to add to the bike to set it off.
I live here in Brevard North Carolina and Industry 9 is two towns over from me where they make everything. Most of the local bike shop carry Industry 9. Thanks for the insight.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Like to get some input on either to go with Chris King or Industry9 hubs. Anyone running either one?

I do like the sound of Chris King.

On one of the bikes I have Industry Nine Torch hubs. They've worked ok, but have not been without problems. The Industry Nine service has not been as good as other companies.

The biggest problem was a broken axle. The hub was a few years old, and I had to pay for the parts. That's ok, but other manufacturers would have send me out replacements under warranty. So don't forget replacement parts when you're figuring the cost of the product.

There are six out-of-phase pawls, where only two engage at any one time. All the force is on two tiny pawls. My hub shows severe deformation on the pawl sockets. It hasn't failed, but it doesn't inspire confidence.

The pawl springs are SMALL--almost invisible. If you drop one and it lands on your dirty shop floor, you might be in trouble. I wanted a spare set so I'd be prepared in case that ever happened. The six small springs were a buck apiece--six bucks. Shipping was fourteen dollars. I ended up having to pay twenty bucks for less than a gram of springs that could have been stuck in an envelope.

On the other hand, my Chris King components work fine and their customer service is what I expect.

ZeroPete

Sep 13, 2023
Belgium
King is a great hub, but the ringdrive requires special grease, and a special bearing tool is required to service them. Axle pretension is a bastard to get right.

If you must have American jewelry have you considered Paul or White ?

Brian O

May 8, 2022
Brevard North Carolina
I did buy an Industry 9 wheel set today with boosted Hydra hub. Our local bike shop had a sale on them. Looking forward to trying them. It’s amazing how much thicker the spokes are from what came with bike.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I did buy an Industry 9 wheel set today with boosted Hydra hub. Our local bike shop had a sale on them. Looking forward to trying them. It’s amazing how much thicker the spokes are from what came with bike.
That’s because the spokes are Aluminium rather than steel. They have no nipples, and screw directly into the hub. They’re apparently stronger and lighter… and it also gives the option to anodise them in various colours.

On one of the bikes I have Industry Nine Torch hubs. They've worked ok, but have not been without problems. The Industry Nine service has not been as good as other companies.

The biggest problem was a broken axle. The hub was a few years old, and I had to pay for the parts. That's ok, but other manufacturers would have send me out replacements under warranty. So don't forget replacement parts when you're figuring the cost of the product.

There are six out-of-phase pawls, where only two engage at any one time. All the force is on two tiny pawls. My hub shows severe deformation on the pawl sockets. It hasn't failed, but it doesn't inspire confidence.

The pawl springs are SMALL--almost invisible. If you drop one and it lands on your dirty shop floor, you might be in trouble. I wanted a spare set so I'd be prepared in case that ever happened. The six small springs were a buck apiece--six bucks. Shipping was fourteen dollars. I ended up having to pay twenty bucks for less than a gram of springs that could have been stuck in an envelope.

On the other hand, my Chris King components work fine and their customer service is what I expect.
I’m dealing with i9 support at the moment, and they are so willing and accommodating I can’t actually believe it. I went to them saying I was a bit disappointed that I paid £2550 for an EN315c wheelset a week ago and they’ve now released an EN325c without any warning. They’ve offered me a new set at a massive discount (and I can sell my existing ones), a bunch of i9 goodies as a ‘sorry’, or I can send my used 315 set back to the factory and have them swapped for 325’s for a minimal fee.
I expected them to say ‘tough luck… that’s product cycles for you’!!

scrufy

Jan 29, 2024
So Cal
Little late response but my new emtb is stock but Kings on my other bikes.
I still even have Kings in light blue on my 2001 Stumpjumper and they work and sound as good as new after 23 years!
When it's time to upgrade my new bike (Moterra carbon 1) it's getting kings.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles