Alfreton
You're correct, just found this image from Hope:
e-bike.jpg

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
If you are looking for the amount of slack before take up of drive surely that is defined by the number of teeth on the ratchet? It's a 54 tooth ratchet still so 360/54= 6.6°? ....not that it makes much difference on an emtb since the sprag/one way bearing in the motor will mostly define it.

Motor slack and ratchet slack are additive.

Last edited:

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Just for my own clarification. Is there no difference between a pro5 Ebike and an regular pro5 other than the freehub?

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
Very interesting thread.
I'm on the verge of buying the Fortus 5 SC 30 for my Giant Reign e+2. But the Ebike version is making me think twice. Not sure which one to go for. The lighter SC

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
Or heavier Ebike version? I ride on The Wrekin mostly which has extreme steep sides and also trail routs.

Redders473

Jul 30, 2020
Leeds
Very interesting thread.
I'm on the verge of buying the Fortus 5 SC 30 for my Giant Reign e+2. But the Ebike version is making me think twice. Not sure which one to go for. The lighter SC
I wouldn't run a SC unless it's on the front. And the ebike freehubs are steel and have less POE. I've been running the normal pro5 over a year and zero issue's.

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
Thanks for the information. Think I will go for the stronger ebike wheel.
There is 110g difference in the weight. Don't know if that would make much difference to how the wheel performs.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
Just for my own clarification. Is there no difference between a pro5 Ebike and an regular pro5 other than the freehub?
If you look at the picture I posted above from Hope for it's ebike specific rear hub (you may have to zoom it up), you'll see all 6 pawls engage at the same time, instead of 3, hence the 54 POE instead of 108 for the non ebike Pro 5 rear hub.

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
If you look at the picture I posted above from Hope for it's ebike specific rear hub (you may have to zoom it up), you'll see all 6 pawls engage at the same time, instead of 3, hence the 54 POE instead of 108 for the non ebike Pro 5 rear hub.
Yes, I see that. Is that the only difference other than the freehub body material?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles