Hope Pro 5 hubs.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I notice Hope have just announced new Pro 5 hubs. From my initial reading it looks like they have six pawls offering more points of engagement but there's also an ebike specific spec that uses the extra pawls for more strength instead of more points of engagement.
StackPath

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Just a little update to this thread.

I've just got the new rear wheel in, and concerning the 54/108 points of engagement.

It appears to be confined to the freehub only. So if you have bought a standard pro5 rear wheel, just replacing the freehub thats 108 POE specific, turns it standard to Ebike.

On the freehub seal. it gives the info specific to its use.So on the one I have, its got 'HG/XDR freehub. 54 POE', and on the hub body itself it says; '108 maximum points of engagement. six pawl' Which just really tells you its a one fits all hub body, with a use specific freehub.

Other than that its quite a nice looking hub. Haven't weighed it but it seems fairly light.

Tis all.:)

Last edited:

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
so do you know the degree of engagement for the 108 POE? is it simply 360/108 = 3.3 degrees?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
what !!!!!! no fucking way !!!! I'm falling off my chair as I type...... you, using Hope....... fuck me....
Wallace And Gromit Cheese GIF

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you are looking for the amount of slack before take up of drive surely that is defined by the number of teeth on the ratchet? It's a 54 tooth ratchet still so 360/54= 6.6°? ....not that it makes much difference on an emtb since the sprag/one way bearing in the motor will mostly define it.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
I have the Hope Fortus 30 wheelset on my Moterra, with the ebike specific 54t rear hub. They're a little on the heavy side with the 29" x 30int rear coming in a 1.36kg but I did opt for the steel HG drive (so I can update to Shimano Linkglide at some point) and the front at 1.18kg. Both wheels are 6 bolt (you can't get factory centre-lock ebike MTB rear Pro 5 hubs...as although some places offer it, the internal dust seals aren't the same as the centre-lock road hub, afaik). Really happy with the wheelset and the rear hub makes a great noise when coasting downhill ... especially at speed. Think I paid an extra tenner (might have been a bit more) for the Rockshox torque caps fitted to the front hub. Saying that though, compared to the awful wheels that the Cannondale came with (MT400 hubs and 25int rims) anything would be step up.

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
I have had a wheelset built, hope pro 5 e specific rear hub. 54 POE. All six pawls are supposed to engage at the same time on this one. Three are supposed to engage on the 108. Hoping that just means stronger for the 54 🤞

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Here we go. Got my Google foo working

IMG_4804.png

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yeah I understand that, but there are still 108 POE.
but not all at the same time! It is a system designed to add strength since the contact between freehub and ratchet is shared by the 6 pawls. So instead of the contact being made by the same 3 pawls each time the wear is shared between 2 sets of 3 pawls. In terms of the ratchet, the greater the number of teeth the smaller the contact area is between pawl and ratchet tooth. Very quick ( degrees of rotation) engagement is largely restricted to disciplines like road biking that requires less strength. For EMTB strength is the main croterea due to the torque put through that connection...and I said before the "freehub" ( sprag/one way bearing) in the motor largely dictates how much free crank movement you experience.

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
^You are correct. To those that are confused: it is 54 teeth with half the pawls engaged, and the other 3 pawls offset halfway between engaged and disengaged (offset), giving a 54tooth driver 108 points of engagement, at again 3.3 deg of free play as a system.

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
Pro5 ebike on Stans Mk4 Flow, Super Gravity tyres should be solid 🤞

IMG_6681.jpeg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Points of engagement is an expression of strength of contact between the freehub and hub (ie between the pawls and ratchet) and distribution of wear. Regardless of the number of pawls that simultaneously engage the ratchet they can only do so in steps of one ratchet tooth and the free play between each tooth on a 54t ratchet is 6.6 degrees.
So with a 54t ratchet and 1 pawl there are 54 possible positions of engagement but a lot of pressure and wear on just 1 pawl. Increase the number of pawls to 3 and there are still 54 possible engagement points since they all engage at the same time.....but now the strength of engagement is 3 times greater. Have 2 sets 3 pawls offset from each other and there are now 108 possible engagement points meaning each set of 3 pawls experiences halve the wear. Strength of the engagement is however the same.
Reducing the amount of free play between any of the possible engagement combinations can only be decreased by increasing the number of ratchet teeth.

Personally I think the DT Swiss ratchet system is a better design than pawls.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
The POE with the 54 ratchet hub and two sets of 3 pawls is 108. I counted.
Degree of engagement is 3.3 degrees with 3 pawls engaged at any one time.

I think the ebike version has 6 pawls, all engaging at the same time and therefor POE is 54 and degree of engagement is 6.6 degrees.

I chose the none ebike hub for my Fuel EXe as the torque is not as much as a full fat.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The POE with the 54 ratchet hub and two sets of 3 pawls is 108. I counted.
Degree of engagement is 3.3 degrees with 3 pawls engaged at any one time.

I think the ebike version has 6 pawls, all engaging at the same time and therefor POE is 54 and degree of engagement is 6.6 degrees.

I chose the none ebike hub for my Fuel EXe as the torque is not as much as a full fa as explained a bove is a boutt.
Dave,
yes POE doubles with 2 offset sets of 3 pawls but amount of free play between engagement remains the same. The 54 POE is stronger with 6 pawls all engaged on the ratchet ring, the 108 has the same strength as any 3 pawl system but the 2 sets of pawls share the wear and tear. Not sure which is the best choice for EMTB. I would think the 6 pawls acting at the same time is the right choice. Two sets of 3 pawls probably better where ultimate strength is not needed..e.g MTB.....as wear is less and therefore longer lasting.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
We will see. If it breaks on my Fuel EXe I will let everyone know and you can all tell me that you told me so 👍😂🤪🤪

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
^Yup Dave, both versions have 6 pawls, only difference is one set of 3 is not offset by 3.3 deg from the other set (does not matter where in the rotation that is. It is the same with Industry 9 Hydras....they just have more offsets....

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
^Yes you are wrong. Both have 6 pawls but the E-bike version does not have the second set offset; meaning all six engage at the same time sharing the load. Also there is a weight penalty for more durable metal for the torque application.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles