Choosing a new bike

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have no idea how I chose my first EMTB nearly 3 years ago. I know at 68 I had started to find riding my Cube Stereo less fun with a higher percentage of any ride being a chore rather than fun so EMTB was something I wanted to try. Choosing my bike was probably more a matter of visiting my usual LBS and taking a test ride on a Merida and a Levo..........I bought the Levo (comp).
I soon found the Levo's limitations when on the more gnarly and steep gravity runs and improved its a bility in that respect a fair degree with uprated fork and shock and better tyres but it still retained enough efficiency to be a good trail bike. To cope with the more radical terrain I bought a Whyte E180 RS which does that job amazingly well, being 27.5, longer, slacker, and with top of the range long travel suspension.

Well then my Levo was stolen!!

So I began the hunt for a replacement and making a choice was not easy. The market has matured to the stage where there are probably no bad EMTBs , but there are certainly those that are better suited to different intended uses..............and there are still emtbs with unresolved weaknesses in design.
I know from the forum that many struggle with deciding what emtb to buy and that is certainly not helped by reviews that are more "marketing" than accurate, and/or feature riders with skill levels most of us do not have!!
Both Rob's reviews and the forum in general are therefore a big help. Rob has no pretence to be an "Elite" rider and more often than not reviews bikes on terrain more typical of what a lot of riders have on their doorstep.
I regularly browse through all the different brand forums on the site and that gives a fair idea of the experiences of a range of riders having bought that brand. A pinch of salt is however required!! There are some brands with a hugely bigger user base than others, some brands that are used by riders well beyond the intended/design use of that bike, and of course disgruntled riders are more likely to vent their frustrations on a forum whilst satisfied users .....just ride!
As an example my 2019 Levo covered c 1800 miles in 2.75 years, was ridden in all weathers and I experienced no faults at all during that time, my mate the same with his Levo..........if you rely only on the forum for a view, it would be that every Brose motor breaks regularly!!
So both Rob's review and the forum give some clues but what else helps?

1. Purpose:
I think the most important initial decision is what type of bike to buy. In my case, I have a very good Enduro bike already and at a push it will do all the riding I want BUT the geometry and kinematics of my Whyte E180 all optimised for gravity riding and everything from XC type rides through to moderate forest trails and climbing are harder work or compromised simply because traction and stability are optimised at the expense of efficiency and agility. So I want a pure trail bike. That is becoming more difficult to find now as more and more trail bikes blur the boundaries into enduro capability withe slacker head angles and bigger travel. t the same time that makes choice easier for those looking for a bike with a broader capability perhaps so as not to limit them as their skills or ambitions grow. The Gen3 Levo is one example of that trend although no reviews I have seen comment on the impact of the changes on its pure trail riding credentials! If you already know you want an Enduro or even Downhill bike, you are likely to know how to pick your bike.

2. Price.
Most brands sell the same frame throughout their range but with ever increasingly expensive components as you go from low to high prices, and shop supplied bikes tend to be more expensive for the same or lower specification than direct sales bikes. I believe for an EMTB having the support of a local LBS should anything go wrong with the bike is a premium worth paying, more especially if you are no bike mechanic and/or new to EMTBs. Finance deals, sometimes 0%, may make it easier to buy a more expensive model but regardless it makes sense to set a limit and stick to it ( nearly!).
Buying a model which negates any immediate reason to "upgrade" other than for reasons of fit makes sense even if that means going slightly over your preset limit. New forks/shocks etc are far more expensive to buy retail than as part of your original package.........and possibly hard to source currently anyway.
The limit I have set myself is £6k

3. Performance

For me performance is a combination of the ride characteristics of the bike and its reliability. Most reviews give a reasonable indication of ride characteristics if you look out for the right words........e.g poppy v planted, and in the absence very often now of being a ble to actually test ride a bike, one option is see if you can try out some friends bikes. I have learnt what "reach" measurement suits me best and (c 465mm) and at 183mm most brand's size large is right for me. I also know the sort of chainstay length that is good on a 29er trail bike for climbing whilst also not keeping the front wheel so firmly planted that bunny hops etc become more difficult. ( c 440mm).
As far as reliability is concerned I choose alloy rather than carbon for the frame and a solid down tube rather than a front or side cutaway for the battery. I rarely have need to remove a battery, so my choice will be different for those who have no power to charge the bike where they store it. I have no interest in ride stats or displays on the bike. The software and electrical components aspects of an EMTB are the most vulnerable to faults and the most difficult to DIY fix, so the fewer the better in my book. A mode selector/on off switch is all that need or want. I know others value the displays and information etc but my choice is a clean cockpit and less to go wrong. I use Strava for basic ride information, and my phone with Komoot for navigation if needed. I dont need the bike to do any of that. So the humble Purion is OK for me.....better would be just a mode/on off controller.
I guess another performance criterea now is whether to go for a "full fat" EMTB usually with 80 to 95 nm torque and 500-700 w/h battery or to look at one of the lighter but lower powered options like the Orbea Rise or Levo SL. My choice is full power!! There are nuance differences between motor options but I do not think motor choice should be a big decision making factor given they all deliver similar amounts of power but with slightly different ways of delivering that power.........you are likely to get used to and like whichever you use.

4. Kerb Appeal
It does not matter whether it is a bike a car or a new settee there is no escaping the fact that you need to find its looks attractive! This is where heart overides head! All I can say is those lovely photos of a brand new bike gleaming under artifical light in the hallway will soon be thrown down a trail, covered in mud, targetted by stones and suffering its first scratches so aesthetics only return after 2 hours with loads of TLC, washing, polishing, lubeing................just to be thrown down a trail again! So yes it is important, but not at the expense of buying a weapon that does its job week after week.
My choice is only 50% on my kerb appeal meter, but I reckon a few colour additions in the form of pedals ( it comes with none) and bars ( I will need higher rise) etc will make it shine.

My choice..........Whyte E150 RS 2022.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I think wirh the covid situation, availability should be in there. In Australia our choice is severely limited compared to Europe in the range of brands to choose from. A lot of the time you just have to buy what's available. Nice bike but I don't think you can even buy a Whyte down here, nevertheless good write up.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Orbea Rise Aluminium..... you knows it! Larger battery, still light weight, enough power.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think wirh the covid situation, availability should be in there. In Australia our choice is severely limited compared to Europe in the range of brands to choose from. A lot of the time you just have to buy what's available. Nice bike but I don't think you can even buy a Whyte down here, nevertheless good write up.
I agree. Here in the UK thre are very few actually in the shops so it means pre ordering...and waiting. Pretty sure Whyte distribute to Australia though

WHYTE BIKES AUSTRALIA

[email protected]
tel: +0061439 902770
PO Box 1384,Cronulla NSW 2230

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Good read……..I ride a 2020 Whyte E150 RS and I love it, I totally agree on the point of a LBS as I’ve had a couple of warranty issues which were sorted by them so no stress there.

Oct 26, 2020
Wiltshire
I have no idea how I chose my first EMTB nearly 3 years ago. I know at 68 I had started to find riding my Cube Stereo less fun with a higher percentage of any ride being a chore rather than fun so EMTB was something I wanted to try. Choosing my bike was probably more a matter of visiting my usual LBS and taking a test ride on a Merida and a Levo..........I bought the Levo (comp).
I soon found the Levo's limitations when on the more gnarly and steep gravity runs and improved its a bility in that respect a fair degree with uprated fork and shock and better tyres but it still retained enough efficiency to be a good trail bike. To cope with the more radical terrain I bought a Whyte E180 RS which does that job amazingly well, being 27.5, longer, slacker, and with top of the range long travel suspension.

So I began the hunt for a replacement and making a choice was not easy. The market has matured to the stage where there are probably no bad EMTBs , but there are certainly those that are better suited to different intended uses..............and there are still emtbs with unresolved weaknesses in design.
I know from the forum that many struggle with deciding what emtb to buy and that is certainly not helped by reviews that are more "marketing" than accurate, and/or feature riders with skill levels most of us do not have!!
Both Rob's reviews and the forum in general are therefore a big help. Rob has no pretence to be an "Elite" rider and more often than not reviews bikes on terrain more typical of what a lot of riders have on their doorstep.
I regularly browse through all the different brand forums on the site and that gives a fair idea of the experiences of a range of riders having bought that brand. A pinch of salt is however required!! There are some brands with a hugely bigger user base than others, some brands that are used by riders well beyond the intended/design use of that bike, and of course disgruntled riders are more likely to vent their frustrations on a forum whilst satisfied users .....just ride!
As an example my 2019 Levo covered c 1800 miles in 2.75 years, was ridden in all weathers and I experienced no faults at all during that time, my mate the same with his Levo..........if you rely only on the forum for a view, it would be that every Brose motor breaks regularly!!

1. Purpose:
I think the most important initial decision is what type of bike to buy. In my case, I have a very good Enduro bike already and at a push it will do all the riding I want BUT the geometry and kinematics of my Whyte E180 all optimised for gravity riding and everything from XC type rides through to moderate forest trails and climbing are harder work or compromised simply because traction and stability are optimised at the expense of efficiency and agility. So I want a pure trail bike. That is becoming more difficult to find now as more and more trail bikes blur the boundaries into enduro capability withe slacker head angles and bigger travel. t the same time that makes choice easier for those looking for a bike with a broader capability perhaps so as not to limit them as their skills or ambitions grow. The Gen3 Levo is one example of that trend although no reviews I have seen comment on the impact of the changes on its pure trail riding credentials! If you already know you want an Enduro or even Downhill bike, you are likely to know how to pick your bike.

2. Price.
Most brands sell the same frame throughout their range but with ever increasingly expensive components as you go from low to high prices, and shop supplied bikes tend to be more expensive for the same or lower specification than direct sales bikes. I believe for an EMTB having the support of a local LBS should anything go wrong with the bike is a premium worth paying, more especially if you are no bike mechanic and/or new to EMTBs. Finance deals, sometimes 0%, may make it easier to buy a more expensive model but regardless it makes sense to set a limit and stick to it ( nearly!).
Buying a model which negates any immediate reason to "upgrade" other than for reasons of fit makes sense even if that means going slightly over your preset limit. New forks/shocks etc are far more expensive to buy retail than as part of your original package.........and possibly hard to source currently anyway.

3. Performance

For me performance is a combination of the ride characteristics of the bike and its reliability. Most reviews give a reasonable indication of ride characteristics if you look out for the right words........e.g poppy v planted, and in the absence very often now of being a ble to actually test ride a bike, one option is see if you can try out some friends bikes. I have learnt what "reach" measurement suits me best and (c 465mm) and at 183mm most brand's size large is right for me. I also know the sort of chainstay length that is good on a 29er trail bike for climbing whilst also not keeping the front wheel so firmly planted that bunny hops etc become more difficult. ( c 440mm).
As far as reliability is concerned I choose alloy rather than carbon for the frame and a solid down tube rather than a front or side cutaway for the battery. I rarely have need to remove a battery, so my choice will be different for those who have no power to charge the bike where they store it. I have no interest in ride stats or displays on the bike. The software and electrical components aspects of an EMTB are the most vulnerable to faults and the most difficult to DIY fix, so the fewer the better in my book. A mode selector/on off switch is all that need or want. I know others value the displays and information etc but my choice is a clean cockpit and less to go wrong. I use Strava for basic ride information, and my phone with Komoot for navigation if needed. I dont need the bike to do any of that. So the humble Purion is OK for me.....better would be just a mode/on off controller.
I guess another performance criterea now is whether to go for a "full fat" EMTB usually with 80 to 95 nm torque and 500-700 w/h battery or to look at one of the lighter but lower powered options like the Orbea Rise or Levo SL. My choice is full power!! There are nuance differences between motor options but I do not think motor choice should be a big decision making factor given they all deliver similar amounts of power but with slightly different ways of delivering that power.........you are likely to get used to and like whichever you use.

4. Kerb Appeal
It does not matter whether it is a bike a car or a new settee there is no escaping the fact that you need to find its looks attractive! This is where heart overides head! All I can say is those lovely photos of a brand new bike gleaming under artifical light in the hallway will soon be thrown down a trail, covered in mud, targetted by stones and suffering its first scratches so aesthetics only return after 2 hours with loads of TLC, washing, polishing, lubeing................just to be thrown down a trail again! So yes it is important, but not at the expense of buying a weapon that does its job week after week.
My choice is only 50% on my kerb appeal meter, but I reckon a few colour additions in the form of pedals ( it comes with none) and bars ( I will need higher rise) etc will make it shine.

I'm 54, ridden mtbs for 30 years and have owned a 2021 E150 RS for a year and it's an absolutely brilliant bike. Great at bikeparks and trail riding. Don't use my analogue full suss trail mtb so much these days.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Same age range as you Mikerb, been on an e-mtb for 2 years 2,600km now, I think I know what the next one should be… Your analysis/comments are spot on.
Availability is also an issue in Canada, a lot of EU manufacturers are not represented here.
I will stay with one of the big three : Spesh, Trek or Giant.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver

1. Purpose:

2. Price.

3. Performance

4. Kerb Appeal

An interesting write up but are these in order of importance? As a member of the 1 Million+ Meter Decent Club, a mountain bike must put a priority on the performance on the way down otherwise it is merely a dressed up XC bike. My priority has always been to get to the trailhead and ride down on a bike that performs well. I will shuttle and use a chairlift if available. I am 60 years old, my wife and I have been riding for over 15 years and we ride mostly Black and Double Back tech trails where we live (see link below). New riders will have different priorities.
I had a 2020 Kenevo but found it way to cumbersome on the way down. My current bike is a modified Levo SL. I ordered a Kenevo SL as it suits my riding style but we will see how long that takes to arrive in Canada. I would prefer aluminum over carbon (#recycling/save the planet) and a frame only option as I can choose better parts for myself rather than the inflated options that Specialize offers (SWORKS frame only :rolleyes:). Your bike of choice will always be determined by the type of riding you do. Price is a matter of commitment. I would like to only have one bike that does what I need it to do.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
An interesting write up but are these in order of importance? As a member of the 1 Million+ Meter Decent Club, a mountain bike must put a priority on the performance on the way down otherwise it is merely a dressed up XC bike. My priority has always been to get to the trailhead and ride down on a bike that performs well. I will shuttle and use a chairlift if available. I am 60 years old, my wife and I have been riding for over 15 years and we ride mostly Black and Double Back tech trails where we live (see link below). New riders will have different priorities.
I had a 2020 Kenevo but found it way to cumbersome on the way down. My current bike is a modified Levo SL. I ordered a Kenevo SL as it suits my riding style but we will see how long that takes to arrive in Canada. I would prefer aluminum over carbon (#recycling/save the planet) and a frame only option as I can choose better parts for myself rather than the inflated options that Specialize offers (SWORKS frame only :rolleyes:). Your bike of choice will always be determined by the type of riding you do. Price is a matter of commitment. I would like to only have one bike that does what I need it to do.

Its just my way of thinking it through. I dont believe there is any bike that can do it all.....and do it well....so what performance is top of your priority list is the first decision criterea for me.

You ride some gnarly stuff there. I know my E180 would make all of that sort of terrain a lot easier whereas my gen 2 Levo would probably raise adrenaline level to 11 ( referencee Marshall Amps!!)

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l have to say l never looked into it that deeply, l wanted a full suspension ebike with around 150mm travel
l needed 27.5" wheels as l am quite small, and find 29" wheel bikes too large.

l chose a NOS 2020 Kona (Shimano E8000) because it was available, and on offer.

My friend's 2022 Cube with the Gen 4 Bosch motor is better, but l don't really care. My Kona rips up hills and storms descents.

lt's better than l am. l've done 2,500 miles on it in 9 months, in fact l just got back from a 15 mile ride in the dark, l absolutely love it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles