Chainring replacement how to ..

claytow

Jul 17, 2018
UK
Mike, what stand is that you are showing in you pictorial dialogue, looks nice and simple for chain lubing, I had been looking at buying the Stand UP stand which looks pretty good too but need to order it from Italy and pay via international bank transfer which is a faf. Anyone else found a decent bike stand for the Levo ?

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Mike, what stand is that you are showing in you pictorial dialogue, looks nice and simple for chain lubing, I had been looking at buying the Stand UP stand which looks pretty good too but need to order it from Italy and pay via international bank transfer which is a faf. Anyone else found a decent bike stand for the Levo ?

I’ve got the stand-up, you’re right, it is a faff but a good stand once it arrives. It really is as simple to use and effective as their promo blurb.

Only things is, I’ve some brand new 150mm cranks to fit but the stand-up is dependant on a hollow crank (bolt) to locate its centre spindle and I don’t seem to be able to find anything like the stock ones to use.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Hi,
Going to replace original Praxis T32 chainring with Raceface T36, from chainreaction cycles.
Little confused regarding the chainring bolts they are offering. I know that the correct size is 4 x 6.5mm.
So this two options from Race Face won't fit? Will have to grind down the bolts ca. 2mm
Race Face Outer Ring Bolt Set | Chain Reaction Cycles

Race Face Replacement Chainring Bolts | Chain Reaction Cycles

Or is this the best option as they have 6.5mm?
Blackspire Chainring Bolts - Outer | Chain Reaction Cycles

Thanks

Last edited:

claytow

Jul 17, 2018
UK
Hi,
Going to replace original Praxis T32 chainring with Raceface T36, from chainreaction cycles.
Little confused regarding the chainring bolts they are offering. I know that the correct size is 4 x 6.5mm.
So this two options from Race Face won't fit? Will have to grind down the bolts ca. 2mm
Race Face Outer Ring Bolt Set | Chain Reaction Cycles

Race Face Replacement Chainring Bolts | Chain Reaction Cycles

Or is this the best option as they have 6.5mm?
Blackspire Chainring Bolts - Outer | Chain Reaction Cycles

Thanks
Ok so I just changed my original 32T with a Raceface 36T, it took me all of 15 mins to do with the correct chainring bolts. I have XTR clipless pedals so that made that bit easier as the chainrings slipped over with ease. As mentioned previously in a very detailed pictorial instruction, a bit of tape holding in the nuts before placing the ring behind the spine worked a treat and the bolts slipped in with a small screwdriver placed behind the tape/nuts. The chain retainer above the ring screwed on easy enough and gave plenty of clearance. Job Done, a quick blast up the street shows a massive improvement. If you want to know which bolts were used my LBS gave me Brand X bolts "Outer Ring Bolts Narrow 7075 alloy Black 5 Pack" I only used the nuts and the original bolts were reused.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Thanks.(y)
I was also looking to this bolts, but as they are aluminium, did not consider them:
Brand-X Outer Ring Bolts Narrow 7075 Alloy | Chain Reaction Cycles
Basically, you can use original bolts (presuming that they are steel) and this X Bolls nuts.

On the other hand, I was thinking paying little extra, with shipping 15 EUR in total and just ordering ID Single Chainring Bolts M8 6.5mm from tredz.co.uk
Will probably have more peace of mind, that the nuts are also steel.:unsure:

Last edited:

claytow

Jul 17, 2018
UK
Thanks for this thread. I to am needing to replace my 32t standard chain ring. Just one question. I like the look of the praxis chain ring u used her Mike but I fancied replacing mine with this one.
Race Face Narrow Wide Chainring - 104 BCD | CHAINRINGS | Evans Cycles

Or this

Hope Single Downhill Chainring - 104mm BCD | CHAINRINGS | Evans Cycles

Should this work. Sorry if it's a bit of a oblivious question.
I have just fitted this same chainring, the Raceface one with 36T, see my later post, it took me all of 15 mins to swap it over.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Note to self:

If you can't find your threadlock when fitting chainring, DO NOT think "ah, will sort that out tomorrow".

Because you'll forget. And then wonder in a few weeks what that odd creaky noise is. And then you'll find out if you can get home with only half the amount of bolts and a piddly trail tool that can't do the other ones up tight enough.

:eek:

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
So you can run a 36t and keep the chain guide? I'd just read in the 2019 faq you couldn't.
Where did you read that, not true?
Why would they use chain guide, that can be adjusted , am I right?
Plenty of room for 36T. With upper bolt you swing the chain gaid forward.;)
p5pb16341030.jpg

azapa

Nov 16, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Just went 36t on a Turbo Levo hard tail that is used mainly for rough commuting. Swap went as described here (despite it being 30 years since I laid spanner-to-bike) was quite easy. Combined with the Blevo app tweaked power delivery it feels very smooth on the road, like I have one more gear up from the old set up. For my (road) application 38 teeth would be even better I think. With the 36 I still am not using the first 5 speeds. Top end with a 38t would be spooky though!

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County
I don't recall using Loctite on chainring bolts when working on standard pedal bikes and never had an issue with them becoming loose, however ebikes may require it. Loosening the CR bolts can be annoying when the backside slotted nut turns in place and if the bolts are being placed with Loctite, it's more likely to occur. One solution may be to use a "Loctite Retaining Compound" #609 (Green) to lock the slotted receiver nut into the CR so it will not turn and allow the potentially Blue (not Red) Loctited bolt to be removed with less effort. If one was not in a hurry, the bolt-up with the Retaining Compound could be done on the chainring prior to actually installing it onto the spider arm. Here's hoping that the softer aluminum rings can be easily removed next time they need replacing.
BTW, I'm also in search of a 36t steel chainring!

croz

Apr 14, 2020
Central FL
I replaced my 32t OEM Praxis ring with a new 36t steel Wave Praxis ring (this one) and it works perfect. Bonus, the Wave Praxis ring doesn't need chainring bolts because the holes are threaded. Super easy swap. I had to flip the chain keeper but might take a dremel to it this weekend.

EDIT: flipped the chain keeper and it rubs. Not sure why but I guess I'll take the dremel to it this weekend.

Last edited:

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I replaced my 32t OEM Praxis ring with a new 36t steel Wave Praxis ring (this one) and it works perfect. Bonus, the Wave Praxis ring doesn't need chainring bolts because the holes are threaded. Super easy swap. I had to flip the chain keeper but might take a dremel to it this weekend.

EDIT: flipped the chain keeper and it rubs. Not sure why but I guess I'll take the dremel to it this weekend.

Might this help?

Praxis 36t chainring on a Levo - EMTB Forums

croz

Apr 14, 2020
Central FL
Yup, saw that yesterday, I was trying to just flip the chain keeper but there's a clearance issue on my bike. Not sure why but I'm going to dremel it out so it sits horizontal. Barring that, I could just put a sheet metal screw into the frame and attach an old CX K-Edge chain keeeper. That's a joke btw.

Jimtonicc

Jul 8, 2020
Riehen
I have a hard time figuring out which bolts to use for the Praxis works chain ring. The shop in the link does not deliver to mainland Europe. Any suggestions? Do any M8x0.75 6.5 mm fit?

Jimtonicc

Jul 8, 2020
Riehen
Trying to install the Praxis 36T, but need to remove the pedals to get the old one off. How exactly do I do that? I have the right Allen key but it seems they are screwed too tight

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
Trying to install the Praxis 36T, but need to remove the pedals to get the old one off. How exactly do I do that? I have the right Allen key but it seems they are screwed too tight
I put the same chainring on about 100 miles ago and love it. Pedals often get tighter with use, some times very tight. Left pedal is left hand thread and right pedal is right hand thread. Make sure you are going the correct direction. Make sure to grease well on re-install to help with the next removal. Pedal Installation and Removal | Park Tool

Last edited:

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
if they are on tight you will probably need more leverage than just an allen key, ie a torque wrench

Reactions: jxj

Jimtonicc

Jul 8, 2020
Riehen
I just installed a 38T on my 2020 Levo Comp and it fits. Tight, maybe 2 mm between frame and ring, but works without any problems.

Hoochy Glider

Jul 30, 2020
Australia
Cool post mate. Thanks heaps. I’m about to do this mod and you answered all my questions. Best thing is the new praxis ebike chainring. It has threaded female holes so use the stock bolts. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles