Chainring & cassette replacement

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Reposting this here, originally posted it in the tech. faq. Page..
Cassette and chainring replacement info needed:
I have a 2018 kenevo, just changed my first chain after about 900km.. and want to buy a new cassette and chainring, for when the next chain wears out.
My questions are -
A. What is the cassette model number? (Xg 1150??)
Does it use a XD driver? ( If so, not compatible with " box one" cassette's)
B. Would like to get a larger (34t) chainring, for more speed, but to keep my climbing ability would need a wider range cassette.. like a 11/46.
Where do you buy your chainrings/ cassette's online!? As the local LBS's here want a fortune for them..
Has anyone used this combo? Can you say where you got them,?
Thanks..
As I'm not sure if I need special components, as it's an Ebike... Or will standard cassette's work?
I know the chainring is not standard, as it's steel!? And not aluminum.
Any recommendations would be verry helpfully!! ?
Thanks
Tim

derby

Feb 2, 2019
San Anselmo, California
Reposting this here, originally posted it in the tech. faq. Page..
Cassette and chainring replacement info needed:
I have a 2018 kenevo, just changed my first chain after about 900km.. and want to buy a new cassette and chainring, for when the next chain wears out.
My questions are -
A. What is the cassette model number? (Xg 1150??)
Does it use a XD driver? ( If so, not compatible with " box one" cassette's)
B. Would like to get a larger (34t) chainring, for more speed, but to keep my climbing ability would need a wider range cassette.. like a 11/46.
Where do you buy your chainrings/ cassette's online!? As the local LBS's here want a fortune for them..
Has anyone used this combo? Can you say where you got them,?
Thanks..
As I'm not sure if I need special components, as it's an Ebike... Or will standard cassette's work?
I know the chainring is not standard, as it's steel!? And not aluminum.
Any recommendations would be verry helpfully!! ?
Thanks
Tim

The stock 2018 Kenevo and Levo chain-ring is a proprietary Specialized steel 32 tooth (only available from Specialized, price unknown). I have never found an alternative steel chain-ring aftermarket. I ordered a stock chain-ring from a large Specialized dealer in California 2 months ago, but it is still on back-order. The stock steel chain-ring should last very many chain replacements, an aluminum single-ring specific chain-ring would probably last less than half as many chains before wearing too much and skipping with a new replacement chain when changing chains every 1200Km or so.

The cassette is an all steel SRAM NX PG-1130 11-Speed 11-42 Cassette (about $66 USD by mail order from Competitive Cycles in the US). After first replacing with a stock SRAM cassette, I have replace the stock cassette with the only all steel 11-46 I've found so far, a SunRun 11sp cassette 11-46t ($65 on Ebay was the best price I've found). I like the slightly lower gear with the 46, and the stock chain length worked fine, but tuning the derailleur and cable for clean shifting took some time to shift as well as the stock cassette. Edit added: The stock hub driver is Shimano HG (older standard Shimano and Sram 11 speed Hyper-Glide)

My Levo came with a KMC x-11-e chain, an ebike specific chain ($51 USD, or $61 USD with special zinc rust resistant coating from many dealers in the US). I'm testing wear and strength with a non-ebike x-11 SL for my replacement chain, because I had bought a few previously at a bike show with special discount of about $30 each direct from a KMC factory rep at the show.

I personally always change cassettes and chains together much later than the recommended 1/16th inch per foot chain wear replacement interval, and my original chain/cassette combo lasted about 1200 miles (almost 2000 Km), with no chain skipping, with about 40% very muddy and rainy conditions last winter and spring with mostly clay and sedimentary rock based trails in the San Francisco Bay Area. The new chain/cassette certainly felt crisper shifting, because the originals were worn far beyond recommended chain wear growth "stretch". The original steel 32 chain-ring showed a little wear, but the new chain does not skip, and I expect the chain ring will be good for another few chain/cassette replacements before a new chain skips off the ring. Changing the chain at 750 miles (about 1200 Km) was when the chain began to be measured beyond the 1/16th inch per foot recommendation without needing a new cassette each time.

If you buy mail order, be considerate and do not take to a bike shop for installation, otherwise expect a high labor charge and possibly very slow service with a newbie doing the job. So you will need to be mechanically competent with a good tool set, and a Shimano/Sram cassette nut removal socket and chain whip. Pliers can remove a chain's master-link, and there is a special took for this.

Last edited:

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
The stock 2018 Kenevo and Levo chain-ring is a proprietary Specialized steel 32 tooth (only available from Specialized, price unknown). I have never found an alternative steel chain-ring aftermarket. I ordered a stock chain-ring from a large Specialized dealer in California 2 months ago, but it is still on back-order. The stock steel chain-ring should last very many chain replacements, an aluminum single-ring specific chain-ring would probably last less than half as many chains before wearing too much and skipping with a new replacement chain when changing chains every 1200Km or so.

The cassette is an all steel SRAM NX PG-1130 11-Speed 11-42 Cassette (about $66 USD by mail order from Competitive Cycles in the US). After first replacing with a stock SRAM cassette, I have replace the stock cassette with the only all steel 11-46 I've found so far, a SunRun 11sp cassette 11-46t ($65 on Ebay was the best price I've found). I like the slightly lower gear with the 46, and the stock chain length worked fine, but tuning the derailleur and cable for clean shifting took some time to shift as well as the stock cassette.

My Levo came with a KMC x-11-e chain, an ebike specific chain ($51 USD, or $61 USD with special zinc rust resistant coating from many dealers in the US). I'm testing wear and strength with a non-ebike x-11 SL for my replacement chain, because I had bought a few previously at a bike show with special discount of about $30 each direct from a KMC factory rep at the show.

I personally always change cassettes and chains together much later than the recommended 1/16th inch per foot chain wear replacement interval, and my original chain/cassette combo lasted about 1200 miles (almost 2000 Km), with no chain skipping, with about 40% very muddy and rainy conditions last winter and spring with mostly clay and sedimentary rock based trails in the San Francisco Bay Area. The new chain/cassette certainly felt crisper shifting, because the originals were worn far beyond recommended chain wear growth "stretch". The original steel 32 chain-ring showed a little wear, but the new chain does not skip, and I expect the chain ring will be good for another few chain/cassette replacements before a new chain skips off the ring. Changing the chain at 750 miles (about 1200 Km) was when the chain began to be measured beyond the 1/16th inch per foot recommendation without needing a new cassette each time.

If you buy mail order, be considerate and do not take to a bike shop for installation, otherwise expect a high labor charge and possibly very slow service with a newbie doing the job. So you will need to be mechanically competent with a good tool set, and a Shimano/Sram cassette nut removal socket and chain whip. Pliers can remove a chain's master-link, and there is a special took for this.

Wow! thanks or the great info!
this is what i was looking for.. so thanks again!
its good to hear the chainring will last several chains...
and didnt know the cassette was all steel too! so i will try ordering one like you said..
BTW - how about the driver? do you know if its a XD> or is it standard and fully compatible?
Happy Trails!
Tim

derby

Feb 2, 2019
San Anselmo, California
Wow! thanks or the great info!
this is what i was looking for.. so thanks again!
its good to hear the chainring will last several chains...
and didnt know the cassette was all steel too! so i will try ordering one like you said..
BTW - how about the driver? do you know if its a XD> or is it standard and fully compatible?
Happy Trails!
Tim
The stock hub driver is Shimano HG (older standard Shimano and Sram 11 speed Hyper-Glide)

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
The stock hub driver is Shimano HG (older standard Shimano and Sram 11 speed Hyper-Glide)
ok! great ... so no compatability issues.. i can order a regular (non XD compatible) cassette!
makes thing much simpler..
Thanks Again!
Tim

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles