Chainring Continued to spin When Coasting - EP8

nmcguire

Jul 12, 2021
Tasmania
A strange thing happened on my ride the other day, I was cruising along a trail when I looked down and the chainring and cassette were still rotating whilst I was not pedaling. Was almost as if my bike had a throttle (it doesn't). Was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. The bike is a 2022 Norco Range VLT with an EP8 motor. All settings are default

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
For a second or constantly.

It will normally for a short period of time due to overrun.

If it's doing it constantly, your freehub in the wheel is probably knackered. You should be able to check by lifting the back wheel and turning it.

nmcguire

Jul 12, 2021
Tasmania
For a second or constantly.

It will normally for a short period of time due to overrun.

If it's doing it constantly, your freehub in the wheel is probably knackered. You should be able to check by lifting the back wheel and turning it.
It wasn't the usual overrun pretty used to that. It was for a good couple of minutes. It stopped for the rest of my ride after I turned the bike on and off again. I will check out my freehub. Cheers!

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
When it happened to me it was the Shimano xt microspline freehub that was on its way out. It could not handle my type of riding.
I sorted it with an DT swiss hybrid hub that's designed for ebikes.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The guys are correct who are suggesting you need to look at your freehub. Mabye it needs parts, or maybe it just needs cleaning and lubrication. I've also seen what you described when a hub was rebuilt with super-thick grease. Personally, I prefer really thin grease. But if you're not the sort to regularly service your hub, then you're best sticking with whatever the manufacturer recommends.

nmcguire

Jul 12, 2021
Tasmania
Thanks for the responses guys! This is the first and only time I have observed. Next bike service I will get my LBS to check it out 😊

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles