Not an EP8 rattle when pedaling

kotto25

Oct 27, 2021
New Jersey
I have about 500 miles on my EP8 (Orbea Rise Hydro) and on today's ride it started to rattle really loudly while pedaling. I'm used to the normal rattle while coasting, but this new rattle while pedaling sounds awful. Only does it on rough trails and it even came and went a couple of times. Everything seems to be fine with power and everything but the sound is not good.
Anyone ever experience this?

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
Mine only rattles over really rough ground and even then it's not loud, otherwise I don't hear anything other than a subtle motor whirrrr, in fact I'm surprised at how quiet it is.

I wonder if some EP8's rattle more than others? Did Shimano change something inside regarding the motors clutch mechanism or up their quality control at some point?

Are you sure your cranks are tight, as I once had one work loose and it made a right noise when pedalling, might be worth checking. Oh and use a torque wrench, don't over tighten.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I have about 500 miles on my EP8 (Orbea Rise Hydro) and on today's ride it started to rattle really loudly while pedaling. I'm used to the normal rattle while coasting, but this new rattle while pedaling sounds awful. Only does it on rough trails and it even came and went a couple of times. Everything seems to be fine with power and everything but the sound is not good.

Water bottle holder? Loose headset? Cable slap? Chainring bolt or lockring loose? Chain guide loose? Lots of other potential causes besides the motor.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You don't wear behind the ear hearing aids by any chance? If so, it could be the arms of your riding specs rattling on the aids. On smooth trails it doesn't happen. If the specs slide forwards on your nose, it doesn't happen.
Yep, I know, unlikely. But it happened to me. (I'm new to hearing aids).

mikegarf

May 2, 2023
Manchester
I have a 2022 M10 Rise which does the same. Pretty sure the rattle is from the top tube between the shock and seat tube and not from the motor. It comes and goes as if something is rattling around in there. It's very annoying and difficult to ignore. I can only assume that something ended up in there at the factory.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
If it happens only when pedalling, that's a big clue...pedals loose or their bearings are knackered, crank arms loose, chain ring loose, a knackered derailleur / jockey wheels, a loose cassette or even an overstretched chain. All easy to check within a few minutes.

kotto25

Oct 27, 2021
New Jersey
Thank everyone for all of the replies. I am almost certain that it is coming from the motor. With that said I found that someone had a similar issue with an ep8 bike and it turned out to be a loose cassette. I just so happen to have a new cassette coming tomorrow. Just replacing for normal wear. I’ll throw that on and see if the noise goes away.
Otherwise I’ll start looking into what has to be done to put in a warranty claim. Imjust a few weeks short of two years so I will have to act fairly quickly.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thank everyone for all of the replies. I am almost certain that it is coming from the motor. With that said I found that someone had a similar issue with an ep8 bike and it turned out to be a loose cassette. I just so happen to have a new cassette coming tomorrow. Just replacing for normal wear. I’ll throw that on and see if the noise goes away.
Otherwise I’ll start looking into what has to be done to put in a warranty claim. Imjust a few weeks short of two years so I will have to act fairly quickly.
You need a new cassette after only 500miles? :eek:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@kotto25 Do some checks:

Check your cassette, is properly torqued up.
Is the bolt securing the mech hanger to the frame tight?
Ditto mech to the hanger.
Remove the cassette and check that the various parts that are rivetted together, still are rivetted together (happened to me, uncontested warranty claim).

While it's off the bike, take a close-up photo of the cassette and post it here.

kotto25

Oct 27, 2021
New Jersey
I didn’t get a chance to ride again yet , but the cassette was very loose and most definitely the source of the rattle. Crazy how much it sounded like it was coming from the motor.

Anyway, I put on a new cassette and chain. Probably didn’t need the cassette yet, but the chain was definitely stretched.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
...... , but the cassette was very loose and most definitely the source of the rattle. Crazy how much it sounded like it was coming from the motor. ....................
It would be great if you could add the word "NOT" somewhere in the title of this thread. :)

As in "NOT an EP8 rattle when pedalling"

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
Have no clue what this EP8 rattle is.. over 2000 miles on Canyon Spectral On. Zero rattle. ZERO. Now my Trek Powerfly before with the motor everyone loves, BOSCH rattled.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
Me thinks , Bosch (or another motor manufacturer) started a rumour about Shimano's rattling to swerve attention from their own motors shortcomings. Like you, mine hardly makes a noise.. except over really rough ground, even then it could be the derailleur, chain slap, whatever... all bikes noises appear to come from the bottom bracket/ motor area anyway, so it's complete nonsense imho.

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Have no clue what this EP8 rattle is.. over 2000 miles on Canyon Spectral On. Zero rattle. ZERO. Now my Trek Powerfly before with the motor everyone loves, BOSCH ra

Me thinks , Bosch (or another motor manufacturer) started a rumour about Shimano's rattling to swerve attention from their own motors shortcomings. Like you, mine hardly makes a noise.. except over really rough ground, even then it could be the derailleur, chain slap, whatever... all bikes noises appear to come from the bottom bracket/ motor area anyway, so it's complete nonsense imho.
I've owned 5 bikes with Shimano motors and every single one of them rattled along with all of my Bosch bikes. The only full powered motor that does not rattle is the Brose. The Shimano and Bosch motors are much more quiet that the Brose climbing though.

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
I've owned 5 bikes with Shimano motors and every single one of them rattled along with all of my Bosch bikes. The only full powered motor that does not rattle is the Brose. The Shimano and Bosch motors are much more quiet that the Brose climbing though.
I've got to go to bed, it's late...do you mean the Ep8 or Bosch CX are noisy when descending/ not pedaling/ over rough stuff, and are you sure it's the motor and not just noise transfernce from the drivetrain? But it's no different from a car rolling down a hill with your foot off the pedal....then you notice the weird noises when the driveline nots loaded up. All cars do this, no matter how expensive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles