Chain and cassette replacement

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
Hi I’m a new owner and I’m showing 50% wear on the chain .... I’ve got a new chain already , ready for the day I need to change it ....will I have to change my cassette aswell ....if so any recommendations or shall I go like for like ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Generally, the more your chain wears, the more it will start to wear the cassette as the spacing increases. Depending on what you have, the chain could be considerably cheaper than the cassette, so worth changing more frequently to ultimately cost you less - and potentially have a better riding experience at the same time.

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
Generally, the more your chain wears, the more it will start to wear the cassette as the spacing increases. Depending on what you have, the chain could be considerably cheaper than the cassette, so worth changing more frequently to ultimately cost you less - and potentially have a better riding experience at the same time.

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
I’ve a Specialized turbo levo 29 , The teeth on the cassette look as good as new with no signs of wear , just some “ shine “ on a few teeth ....ive checked the chain and it’s on 50 % just ....it’s an xl frame ...I’ve done less than 500 miles easy ...is weight of bike and myself a factor in wear too

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That sound like higher than average wear, but there's also "New e-bike" wear to take into account, whilst you get used to the assistance and changing gears with the assistance. There's also plenty of people who have similar, so you're not alone :)

There was a very long thread about this and it included things like different wear at different points in the chain and accuracy of the wear indicator ..

@steve_sordy loves chain talk :)

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
Thanks I’ll try and find that ...my friend bought the expert levo ....a month after mine , he’s done more miles over rougher terrain ...his chain checked on the same day shows 25 % wear ....components are the same I think but frame is carbon could this be a factor in wear ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I have got anywhere from 400-1600km to a chain depending on the conditions I ride in. I change chains at aprox 0.6% wear.
Normally change 4-6 chains before the cassette wears out. I have a spare cassette on hand after I purchase the 3rd or 4th chain, just incase. Same with the front alloy chain ring.
I know my cassette is worn out when a new chain slips on it. I always test in all gears under load to see if the new chain slips before I go on a planed proper ride.
I change the chainring when a new chain makes it noisy, but like a grinding noise.

I don’t care if you have more or less wear than me ?‍♂️

If you put a new chain on and it slips because your cassette is worn, you can put the old chain back on till you get a replacement cassette.
I use cheap EBay snail chainrings. They wear twice as quick but are 1/4 the price ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
With the exception of his last line (because I have never used snail chainrings), I agree with pretty much everything in @outerlimit 's last post.

I don't get more than 3 chains per cassette though.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
With the exception of his last line (because I have never used snail chainrings), I agree with pretty much everything in @outerlimit 's last post.

I don't get more than 3 chains per cassette though.
Not often am I wrong, tho when I am, I’m really really fn wrong. My experiences are usually different to others, because I do it my way ?‍♂️

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Not often am I wrong, tho when I am, I’m really really fn wrong. My experiences are usually different to others, because I do it my way ?‍♂️
I wasn't implying any criticism of your approach. agreeing with it in fact. But maybe there is something different about where I ride that leads to faster chain wear? Most of my miles are on sandy soil. When it's wet, I can hear the bike scraping and grinding away!

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I wasn't implying any criticism of your approach. agreeing with it in fact. But maybe there is something different about where I ride that leads to faster chain wear? Most of my miles are on sandy soil. When it's wet, I can hear the bike scraping and grinding away!
Haha, all good, don’t take me too seriously, I don’t. It takes a lot to upset me, mainly because I don’t give two shits. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles