E-specific cassette and chain?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nah. They're actually shite at doing most of the things roadbikes do so well.

I have a brand new motor sat here to fit to my Eeb and you know what? I just CBA as I'm loving riding the roadbike too much and the motor will be fucked again in less than a thousand miles anyway. Whereas the roadbike goes on and on for tens of thousands of miles barely requiring a new BB. ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Like I said, you've never ran though a road bump before while at 40mph. Keep sitting in front your monitor and typing until I get the miles tonight.
monitor? :oops:
OK Grandad.
You might want to book an appointment at the opticians for night driving glasses.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Saying I can easily wear out 11T, 13T cogs with E-bike under 500 miles. The average speed is 30mph of every 50 miles. Is it fast?
Also, by the time the cog is done, the chain isn't even stretched beyond 0.5mm, but the chain is changed somehow. So it means another new chain and new cogs.
Just don't have durable drivetrain. Anybody feels the same way (at high average speed of course)?

High Rock Ruti

Avoid EX 1 at all costs chain and cassette lasted it was the seven derailleur's that broke, some in as little as 50 miles. Show me a biker that can input 800-1000 watts of power and I'll show you cassettes and chains that wear out in 500 miles. I always buy the cheapest compatible chains and cassette and replace them, they are wear items, I doubt my brake pads last that long!

Warm Regards

Ruti

mxtyphoon

May 23, 2020
Wisconsin SW
I’ve been using paraffin wax on my 10 speed chain after cleaning them and heated up in a crockpot. I don’t pull the chain out till the wax starts to set up some. That way when I hang it up it doesn’t all run off. This has been working good for me because I have sandy soil where I ride. I still have the stock setup but one new chain with 2,300 miles on it. Sometimes I don’t have to do more then brush the chain before soaking it again, because it’s not very dirty.

kylnman

Jan 6, 2020
Virginia, USA
I'm in the midst of a maximum lifetime test on my drivetrain. I've ridden my Decoy in the mountains for 2500+ miles with the stock Shimano SLX 11 speed drivetrain. Although the chainchecker shows it's toast, it's still going strong and smooth, saving a bunch of new chain/cog money and time along the way. Not sure how far it will go before rollers start disintegrating, but still astonished and pleased at how long it has lasted. Let 'er go, til she blows!

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
Has anyone had experience with belt-driven or heavy duty chain driven EMTBs with Rohloff speed system? That thing should be more durable and last longer than derailleur speed systems with chain.

G1-EBOXX-E14_2021_3000x2000_02-1400x933.jpg

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Has anyone had experience with belt-driven or heavy duty chain driven EMTBs with Rohloff speed system? That thing should be more durable and last longer than derailleur speed systems with chain.
Rohloff is something I am contemplating but will not be with a belt. Ran them on my Singlespeed and stripped a few so went back to chain. Probably due to my weight and how much load they handle.

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
I'm in the midst of a maximum lifetime test on my drivetrain. I've ridden my Decoy in the mountains for 2500+ miles with the stock Shimano SLX 11 speed drivetrain. Although the chainchecker shows it's toast, it's still going strong and smooth, saving a bunch of new chain/cog money and time along the way. Not sure how far it will go before rollers start disintegrating, but still astonished and pleased at how long it has lasted. Let 'er go, til she blows!
There is no way to cope with empty pedals along the way without a destroyed crotch.

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
IMG_20201217_072244.jpg

IMG_20201217_072336.jpg

Not even need to be round. A slightly scratch of 0.2mm wear on the tip of teeth will cause skip during high-torque. They should've use tungsten on the tip of 11T, but nowadays small traditional cycling manufactures like Shimano always prefer trendy light stuff.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sort of a mute point until you persuade a manufacturer to make tungsten cassette sprockets.

But even if you do...

11t cassette sprockets skip when worn because there are only 5 teeth in contact with the chain in the first place. Add to that the shifting profiles designed into the sprockets and it stands to reason when your chain wears it will slip under high load.
Under the sort of torque you seem to like using you'd be far better spreading the chain load over more sprocket teeth. And at the speeds you say you ride at this would require a much larger chainring of 50t+

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
No, these traditional manufactures will be dead soon if the they don't get the core competition.
When you start an e-bike, shifting to the highest gear is automatic.
Unless you let the motor pedal itself, high cadence is not worth it for long ride.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's not unfortunate.
A chainring larger than 44 tooth wouldn't ever be ideal off-road unless pedalling down fire road descents like the Kamakaze (and not climbing them) is your thing.
Mr pedal apparently just rides around the edge of a rather large lake.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A chainring larger than 44 tooth wouldn't ever be ideal off-road unless pedalling down fire road descents like the Kamakaze (and not climbing them) is your thing.
If it would magically fit ... If I went any more than 36 it would be this poor beaten to crap third wheel the way I ride. Or I'd be able to sub-contract and do some ploughing and seeding.

Surely if you rode at 30mph all the time and thought that "high" cadence was pointless or implausible/inefficient (even if that's the only way to keep the motor efficient), you'd either just buy a totally different machine for circling a lake - like a jet ski ?

Or you'd switch to a single speed with a diy secondary reduction gear. (I can't think of a word which means he opposite in this situation) and just have your 10,000,000,000 w motor plodding away at a cadence of 30 whilst you catch bugs in your teeth and possibly fall asleep from boredom, then awake in a flash of realisation at the pointlessness of it all and buy a fish tank instead ?

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Has anyone tried the dirt cheap ebay cassettes? Sunrace I think?

Gut feeling is they would be fine as just machined steel, but still spent the extra few quid on shimano.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
The problem with harder KMC chain is the cassette cogs will be worn down even faster than the slightly soft Shimano's chain. But KMC chain is almost in a state out of duty. And I cannot tell the difference with naked eye on the cogs.
Not really harder as such. The difference is the rollers are a little compound metal and do not distort as easily as the others. Hardness does not come into factor unless lack of it causes rollers to distort and loose shape.

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
Not really harder as such. The difference is the rollers are a little compound metal and do not distort as easily as the others. Hardness does not come into factor unless lack of it causes rollers to distort and loose shape.
I've worn 3 KMC E10EPT and 2 KMC E10S. They are all E-bike specific chains, not directional. They don't last longer than Shimano chain HG95. KMC chain seems don't have good shape

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
other than rebranding there's not really such thing a as an Ebike specific chain. Especially for a derrailleur gear operated drivetrain system. You're a mug if you think there is.
Stick with £10 chains and £20 cassettes

For your particular use though it's a motor cycle chain you want really. Ideally attached to an actual motorcycle.
a nice wee 50cc pitbike or little leccy scooter should more than suffice.

;)

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
I decided to order Kindernay 14 gear hub. I hate to maintain drivetrain, I also hate my 10 speed Shimano Deore can't shift to highest gear on 11t sprocket after the chain and sprockets just slightly used even prior it stars skipping on 11t and 13t cogs.

That hub costs almost half of my emtb price. It is better be good for that price.

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
other than rebranding there's not really such thing a as an Ebike specific chain. Especially for a derrailleur gear operated drivetrain system. You're a mug if you think there is.
Stick with £10 chains and £20 cassettes

For your particular use though it's a motor cycle chain you want really. Ideally attached to an actual motorcycle.
a nice wee 50cc pitbike or little leccy scooter should more than suffice.

;)
If you have tried them you won't say the same shit. I wonder how often you can wear your cog first before the chain stretch. And the trick is that as long as I'm pedaling the thing is still called and recognized as a bicycle not a motorcycle.

Last edited:

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
I confirm E-Bike specific chain lasts 2 times more than regular chain. I did test on regular 10s KMC chain and on e-bike specific 10s KMC chain. The regular chain lasted about 350 miles before 0.5 mm stretch, the E-Bike specific chain from the same brand lasted 850 miles before 0.5 mm stretch.

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
Having ride for 150 miles with a waxed chain. It has been through rain for the last 50 miles. The chain was soaked in refined paraffin wax and 1μm PTFE powder. So far the drivetrain doesn't catch dust but it have chunks of debris from the wax itself. Before wax the chain has already worn out a 11T cog. I'm about to the see the difference after another 100 miles with 2nd wax.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Having ride for 150 miles with a waxed chain. It has been through rain for the last 50 miles. The chain was soaked in refined paraffin wax and 1μm PTFE powder. So far the drivetrain doesn't catch dust but it have chunks of debris from the wax itself. Before wax the chain has already worn out a 11T cog. I'm about to the see the difference after another 100 miles with 2nd wax.
Have you posted a pic of this bike? I want to see it

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
If you have tried them you won't say the same shit. I wonder how often you can wear your cog first before the chain stretch. And the trick is that as long as I'm pedaling the thing is still called and recognized as a bicycle not a motorcycle.
Tbh I have the same thing on mine.
My sram ex1 2 smallest sprockets start skipping when the chain is below 0.40% wear. My ex1 chain has now 1400km and is allmost at 0.50% wear and far more durable then all the rest I tried and half the price .

Before I had Shimano XT casette and was even worse with their smallest sprockets, tried it with connex and kmc chain but both wear the same

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles