Levo Gen 3 Cascade Link 2022+ Levo Long Shock Kit

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Hi !

Could soemone measure the BB height before conversion and afterwards with untouched fork and flipchip setting ?
There is still the fact, that some users are measuring increased BB heights which holds me from buying the kit.

And a question about the high progression ? Can someone with a coil tell us if full travel is usable and at which sag-setting ?
My plan is to use the TTX22M with the kit and a 170mm Zeb in the front.

Thanks for your experience and best regards,

Chris

cañonaco

Feb 3, 2020
España
Levo Expert S4 Stock (LOW&SLACK) ........ 335 mm BB
Cascade + Superdeluxe 230*65 + ZEB 170 (LOW&SLACK)......352 mm BB FOX 160 Stock 350 mm BB
WTB Vigilante 2.5 + Eliminator Grid Gravity 2.6

Now it´s a wonderful enduro bike

Last edited:

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Thanks 🙏

That's the complete opposite than i expected and what is specified by cascade.
The whole Travel increase is reached by geometry change in the neutral position. :(

Best regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Mike640

Dec 10, 2021
Portugal - Sintra
Levo Expert S4 Stock (LOW&SLACK) ........ 335 mm BB
Cascade + Superdeluxe 230*65 + ZEB 170 (LOW&SLACK)......352 mm BB FOX 160 Stock 350 mm BB
WTB Vigilante 2.5 + Eliminator Grid Gravity 2.6

Now it´s a wonderful enduro bike

How does it ride? Do you notice a big difference in what cases?

Mike640

Dec 10, 2021
Portugal - Sintra
Thanks 🙏

That's the complete opposite than i expected and what is specified by cascade.
The whole Travel increase is reached by geometry change in the neutral position. :(

Best regards,

Chris

Maybe not! Should be interesting to measure with the rider on the bike with same sag, because the stroke have changed...

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Of course, but the increased sag makes 4-5 mm when calculating it based on the leverage courves and the stroke.
15mm change of BB height means that the rearaxis comes down approx. 20mm (!)
This can convert an aggressive enduro Geometry to a touring/ All-mountain Geo :rolleyes:

But in praxis this can make from overall feeling a good bike, but i would like to know if this was the intention from cascade or if something is wrong there with the links.

Last edited:

Mohawk3a

Mar 20, 2021
California
Of course, but the increased sag makes 4-5 mm when calculating it based on the leverage courves and the stroke.
15mm change of BB height means that the rearaxis comes down approx. 20mm (!)
This can convert an aggressive enduro Geometry to a touring/ All-mountain Geo :rolleyes:

But in praxis this can make from overall feeling a good bike, but i would like to know if this was the intention from cascade or if something is wrong there with the links.

Finally someone is coming around to what I’ve been saying. It’s a big change to the geo. Glad to know I wasn’t the only one with an increased bb height.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hi, in my expert size s2, setting low and slack, with maxxis 2,5 front and
2,4 rear there is an increase of 5/6 mm in bb height, from 345 with standard suspension and now is about 350 mm.

Jun 12, 2020
lake Tahoe
That is not correct in my case. The long shock kit raised my bottom bracket height by 16mm, slightly more than the increase in travel. The bottom bracket height will be taller throughout. At 30% sag my bottom bracket will still be 11mm taller than a stock levo at 30% sag.

Your observation appears correct. The link by design must increase the BB height to avoid unacceptably low dynamic BB height at full compression, right? Otherwise the pedal strikes at full compression would be dangerous. I am not yet sold on this product for that reason.

. What I hope to do is upgrade my stock Fox Performance X2 shock (52.5 x 210) with a Fox Factory X@ shock (55 x 210). The additional 2.5 mm of stroke (while maintaining the same 210mm E to E length) would yeild 7 mm of additional travel at the rear wheel, This is calculated by multiplying the shock rate of 2.8 x the stroke of 55 = 158+_ mm of travel vs stock 150. This I am told bu others is a noticeable improvement in travel without affecting geometry significantly. My question, even this minor change, while maintaining the stock static BB height, does lower the BB height under dynamic travel and bottom out. Correct? This difference in effective BB height is difficult to calculate but would appear to be less than the 7mm of travel at the rear wheel? Any math whizzes out there that can calculate this BB height difference?

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Your observation appears correct. The link by design must increase the BB height to avoid unacceptably low dynamic BB height at full compression, right? Otherwise the pedal strikes at full compression would be dangerous. I am not yet sold on this product for that reason.

. What I hope to do is upgrade my stock Fox Performance X2 shock (52.5 x 210) with a Fox Factory X@ shock (55 x 210). The additional 2.5 mm of stroke (while maintaining the same 210mm E to E length) would yeild 7 mm of additional travel at the rear wheel, This is calculated by multiplying the shock rate of 2.8 x the stroke of 55 = 158+_ mm of travel vs stock 150. This I am told bu others is a noticeable improvement in travel without affecting geometry significantly. My question, even this minor change, while maintaining the stock static BB height, does lower the BB height under dynamic travel and bottom out. Correct? This difference in effective BB height is difficult to calculate but would appear to be less than the 7mm of travel at the rear wheel? Any math whizzes out there that can calculate this BB height difference?
are you shure? the stock lenght of shock in 2022 gen3 is 210x55

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california

Gen3 is 210x55 stock

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
the swap came out to be $250 for me. not bad. and i'm very pleased on how my levo performs now

$400 CC Link
$450 Newer 230x65 X2 with 10 months left on warranty. Purchased from friend of a friend YT Decoy

$850 total spent - $600 sold 210x55 X2 = $250 out of pocket🤘

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
the swap came out to be $250 for me. not bad. and i'm very pleased on how my levo performs now

$400 CC Link
$450 Newer 230x65 X2 with 10 months left on warranty. Purchased from friend of a friend YT Decoy

$850 total spent - $600 sold 210x55 X2 = $250 out of pocket🤘

Wish I could be in the same position ha. ~£1000 for the link and shock. Maybe get £450 back from my factory X2 if lucky

I can, but looking over these recent geo comments I am not sure I should.

Whats with the middle headset and travel comment? Can you not achieve 165mm in slack?

Watching with keen interest..., so any comments about the setup would be much appreciated.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
Wish I could be in the same position ha. ~£1000 for the link and shock. Maybe get £450 back from my factory X2 if lucky

I can, but looking over these recent geo comments I am not sure I should.

Whats with the middle headset and travel comment? Can you not achieve 165mm in slack?

Watching with keen interest..., so any comments about the setup would be much appreciated.
I set the rear back to high and headset to middle position. Although I haven’t ridden with this setting yet because of a cold for 2 weeks. Might go for a short ride today

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
I finally installed mine and took it for a ride (if you live on the East coast of Australia you understand the frustrations of trying to ride lately).

I moved from a Push 11-6 to a 230x65 2022 X2 with the link installed. I have a 180mm Fox 38 up front. Definitely as advertised, supple up the top without blowing through the travel. Geo-wise, as far as I can tell, the BB is a tad higher but IMO that’s one of the biggest selling points. For steep, chunky terrain the BB was far too low from stock, resulting in many smashed battery doors. I am running high/slack, unchanged from pre CC link and yoke.

Zero regrets on the purchase. I was intending to buy the gen 3 Kenevo whenever it’s released, but now I’ll keep this. So in that sense, it’s a good investment.

TL;DR: It smashes. Get it, with a 180mm air spring.

Last edited:

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
I finally installed mine and took it for a ride (if you live on the East coast of Australia you understand the frustrations of trying to ride lately).

I moved from a Push 11-6 to a 230x65 2022 X2 with the link installed. I have a 180mm Fox 38 up front. Definitely as advertised, supple up the top without blowing through the travel. Geo-wise, as far as I can tell, the BB is a tad higher but IMO that’s one of the biggest selling points. For steep, chunky terrain the BB was far too low from stock, resulting in many smashed battery doors. I am running high/slack, unchanged from pre CC link and yoke.

Zero regrets on the purchase. I was intending to buy the gen 3 Kenevo whenever it’s released, but now I’ll keep this. So I’m that sense, it’s a good investment.

TL;DR: It smashes. Get it, with a 180mm air spring.
I agree with the stock BB height being too low for the chunky stuff. Will likely set my fork back to slack and keep rear set to high. I only have a 170 fork but it’s way better than the stock 160

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hi everyone, today first ride with turbo levo modified with cascade long link, fox dhx2 and fox 38 modified to 170 with dsd runt, I took a quiet ride, without big jumps, first impressions are good, I liked the bike a lot with the coil shock and the fox 38, with the Diaz suspension runt works very well.

GrumpyKat

Sep 5, 2018
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Bike.jpg

Cascade link, Fox X2 230 x 65, 180mm Zeb, Hope Cranks - no pedal strikes - feels like my old Kenevo on the descents

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
The big difference i noticed between stock vs cascade is that the stock set up would buck. Probably because i would reach full compression easily and even with slow rebound the rear would buck.

With the new 230x65 set up the rear suspension is much smoother through out the travel. I am able to speed up the rebound a little more and open up the compression. It doesn't buck or have the feeling of the rear tire hanging onto roots and rocks.

Bryan C

Apr 24, 2022
Bay Area, CA
Sent an email to cascade regarding production of an updated long travel link kit for the 2022+ alloy frames. They said it won't be released until at least summer 2022.

Not sure I really *need* this kit, but it sure looks like it would be a nice upgrade along with a longer travel fork.

Lasse

May 22, 2020
Norway
Levo Gen3 (Z4) with cascade long link, Marzochi Bomber CR 230x65, FOX SLS spring (500lbs/in). ZEB Ultimate 170mm.
Low/long setting. 29" front/rear
>Next will be 180mm up front.
Rider weight 81.
Previously with stock link, I ran a Rockshox super deluxe 210x55 w/ progressiv MRP coil (450+), which was very nice.
The new setup is more "bomb-proof" in rough sections.
After 1st ride, reduced LSC to one click from fully open, and spring load adjuster to minimum (1 full turn after initial contact)

IMG_20220508_105314__01.jpg

Last edited:

Bryan C

Apr 24, 2022
Bay Area, CA
specialized warranty applies to specialized parts. Parts from other manufacturers like the fox shock would go through fox. So why not just put the stock linkage back on before submitting a warranty claim?

From what I understand, and have been told by many spesh deaelers, is the frame warranty only covers the front triangle. Any problems with links or the rear triangle are not covered. It's not surprising to see that spesh doesn't like longer forks installed either. I agree, save your stock parts and swap them back on if there is a problem.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
From what I understand, and have been told by many spesh deaelers, is the frame warranty only covers the front triangle. Any problems with links or the rear triangle are not covered. It's not surprising to see that spesh doesn't like longer forks installed either. I agree, save your stock parts and swap them back on if there is a problem.
My friend got the rear seatstay replaced on gen3 Levo under crash replacement program last month. It was crash damage but dealer mentioned if it was manufacture defect it would be covered.
I saw on this forum a Levo SL I think that broke a seat stay while rolling backwards and hitting the brakes. Not sure if that was covered. I would have to search

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Hi !

iIn Europes conditions everything is covered:

"
Lifetime warranty* to the original owner against structural defects in material or workmanship on ALL models of Specialized-branded frames and forks

• Includes seatstays and chainstays on full-suspension bikes
"

Best regards,

Chris

Bryan C

Apr 24, 2022
Bay Area, CA
My friend got the rear seatstay replaced on gen3 Levo under crash replacement program last month. It was crash damage but dealer mentioned if it was manufacture defect it would be covered.
I saw on this forum a Levo SL I think that broke a seat stay while rolling backwards and hitting the brakes. Not sure if that was covered. I would have to search

Funny that I was told that they wouldn't cover it. And crash replacement might be a whole different program. Specialized dealer employees have given me bad advice on many occasions so I understand if multiplestories are being told. Maybe it's more of a case by case decision. It probably depends on what the dealer tells the factory warranty rep.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles