Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
Just saw this post, for those who have been trying to get in touch with them
D23B9FD1-2467-41D0-80C8-21CC9EF12395.png

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
I hear what your saying. My thought is the linkage provides 15mm more travel at the rear wheel. If your bottom bracket is raised 15-16mm prior to suspension load, your bottom bracket will be riding higher throughout the suspension travel. The geometry might be close to stock only when suspension is fully collapsed.
This is a good thing. The BB is too low even in the high setting when going through technical transitions etc. Def a plus. I installed mine yesterday, just waiting for my bushings to come in so I can finally ride it.

Mohawk3a

Mar 20, 2021
California
This is a good thing. The BB is too low even in the high setting when going through technical transitions etc. Def a plus. I installed mine yesterday, just waiting for my bushings to come in so I can finally ride it.
I don’t think the bottom bracket is that low, but the ground clearance is low with the brose motor sticking down so far below the bottom bracket. I would never choose a mullet for serious technical riding, it’s not what that bike is made for in my opinion. Everything is a trade off, and for me the gen3 levo is at its best a high speed through chunck, and navigating steep decents. Jacking up the bottom bracket will only hurt the bikes great handling characteristics. I do like the increased travel, so I will run a little extra sag to compensate for the increased bottom bracket height.

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Hi !

The Cascade will lower your BB in all riding conditions. Only the not loaded static geometry is the same.
The sag will be more deep due to the higher absolute sag (30% from 165mm instead of 150mm)
and also due to the fact you want to ride with higher sag percentage due to the extremely higher progression.

I'm wondering why cascade has not compensated this by a 2mm longer clevis length to reach same sag-BB-height.

Best regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Mohawk3a

Mar 20, 2021
California
Hi !

The Cascade will lower your BB in all riding conditions. Only the not loaded static geometry is the same.
The sag will be more deep due to the higher absolute sag (30% from 165mm instead of 150mm)
and also due to the fact you want to ride with higher sag percentage due to the extremely higher progression.

I'm wondering why cascade has not compensated this by a 2mm longer clevis length to reach same sag-BB-height.

Best regards,

Chris
That is not correct in my case. The long shock kit raised my bottom bracket height by 16mm, slightly more than the increase in travel. The bottom bracket height will be taller throughout. At 30% sag my bottom bracket will still be 11mm taller than a stock levo at 30% sag.

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Really ? perhaps there is something going wrong with the fram/link combination, because cascade told me on my Email request about this topic, that it was not planned to change the BB height to the stock specification. 16mm would be a very extreme change affecting many things ! When i remind, that flip chips are generally changing the BB about only 5mm.

Mohawk3a

Mar 20, 2021
California
Really ? perhaps there is something going wrong with the fram/link combination, because cascade told me on my Email request about this topic, that it was not planned to change the BB height to the stock specification. 16mm would be a very extreme change affecting many things ! When i remind, that flip chips are generally changing the BB about only 5mm.
That’s exactly what I’m saying. It’s a big change. At 220 lbs I do prefer the way the shock functions at lower pressure with the new kit. I’m running a touch more sag to compensate for the increased height. I’m still happy with my purchase so far. I just would like to hear other peoples feedback on weather they are experiencing the same height increase I have. 16mm is a lot.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
Well BAD NEWS the link does not allow full travel on a S2 alloy. The links interfere with the seatstays before full travel is reached. I'm a bit bummed about this and will be contacting cascade tomorrow. My guess is the alloys will need a separate set of link plates than the carbon bikes.
Just curious, would you happen to have a picture of the interference?

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Just curious, would you happen to have a picture of the interference?
The link bottoms out in the clevis on the seat stay. The casting has a rib in it that interferes. The carbon version must have more clearance in the lower portion of that clevis.
I could grind on the bike and link to get clearance but I'm not going to do that.

PXL_20220313_172253384.MP.jpg

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
The link bottoms out in the clevis on the seat stay. The casting has a rib in it that interferes. The carbon version must have more clearance in the lower portion of that clevis.
I could grind on the bike and link to get clearance but I'm not going to do that.

Weird...i let the air out the shock to double check clearances. this is how it looks

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1637.jpg

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
Did some measurements with new linkage on my S4

170 Fork at slack setting. 65 degrees (iphone leveling)
Rear HIGH setting
BB height 361mm

Currently:
170 Fork at slack setting. 64 degrees (iphone leveling)
Rear LOW setting
BB height 351mm

I thought the rear flip chip is only supposed to change the height about 5mm. Looks like it changed 10mm
While the air was out the shock i went ahead and checked the BB height at full compression

IMG_1645.jpg

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Did some measurements with new linkage on my S4

170 Fork at slack setting. 65 degrees (iphone leveling)
Rear HIGH setting
BB height 361mm

Currently:
170 Fork at slack setting. 64 degrees (iphone leveling)
Rear LOW setting
BB height 351mm

I thought the rear flip chip is only supposed to change the height about 5mm. Looks like it changed 10mm
While the air was out the shock i went ahead and checked the BB height at full compression

View attachment 83952
That measuring tape makes me ill. Send me your address and I’ll air freight you one with the right numbers on it. 😂

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hi what was the rough lead time from ordering,to receiving the kit?

cheers

Hi, at the moment, there is no certain timing, I see that someone in the USA, has already received it, I who live in Europe, I have no news and I ordered it the first day it was made available for pre-order

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Spoke with Cascade about the interference and sent them detailed images of what was happening. The said only 2 people have had this issue, myself included, so it looks like the seatstay castings vary and not all bikes have issues....they will be working up a link with more clearance in that area. Hope it happens sooner than later as I have a really nice shock just sitting on the bench staring at me...

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
Every time I change my suspension settings i like to test it on this trail to compare. Nothing too crazy, just bumpy and rutted all the way down with sections to jib. Of course any mistake would be costly as there are some deep ruts, sharp rocks, slippery round rock slabs and loose sandy sections. It’s not downieville by any means but it’s a good bumpy ride.

230x65 handled it very well. Excellent support from the suspension. I’m very pleased with the performance. Everything from small bump, mid support and bottom out resistance. All i can say it’s so good compared to stock.

I’m not a fast rider. I’m actually on the slower side amongst our group, but not the slowest lol. The faster riders really just jump over all the rocky sections, I’ll flow through them. Mid 40’s and i just like to ride.

speedometer is in kph
020163D6-345D-449E-BDE7-4FEC79AD7FCD.jpeg

918435E2-9B25-43CC-8EE5-3F749849CF2C.jpeg

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
So my alloy S2 is also binding on the seat stay. Did one ride and noticed I didn’t use all the travel. Photo’s looking up.

3A5FB233-4CAC-4F3A-9D20-072EA3A27C00.jpeg

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Yep thats where mine contacts.....these are the images I sent to Cascade so they are aware. You can see a rib inside the casting that is the main culprit. Reduces travel quite a bit to about 45mm of stroke.

PXL_20220316_011812231.MP.jpg

PXL_20220316_012910751.MP.jpg

PXL_20220316_013101594.MP.jpg

PXL_20220316_013037081.MP.jpg

PXL_20220316_013028299.jpg

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hello everyone, 2 days ago, I received an email from Cascade that the orders made in the European Union of the long shock link kit have been shipped to Europe and soon, I should receive mail with shipping confirmation, I ask you if anyone, who lives in Europe, has received it or has news of shipping

L’ex

Oct 13, 2021
Italy
Hi all! Did someone tried a TTX? Someone does have any issue with long shock kit and coil? Thanksssssss

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles